+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Beats by Dre purchased by Apple in Fun Stuff; What Apple is really buying with Beats | The Verge All I can think of is this - "This isn't ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Beats by Dre purchased by Apple

What Apple is really buying with Beats | The Verge

All I can think of is this - "This isn't even my final price!"

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is a perfect merger, two companies that make their fortunes by selling over priced junk to people who don't know any better

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A $200 pair of Beats Headphones is said to cost the manufacturer as little as $14
    Wait while I pick my jaw up from the floor...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 837 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    It is a perfect merger, two companies that make their fortunes by selling over priced junk to people who don't know any better
    Exactly this. Tat for tat.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Nail. On. Head.

As I said to @SYSMAN_MK on twitter the other day, I have a £30 pair of Soundmagic E10s (in-ear headphones) and they absolutely wipe the floor with the Beats in-ears that cost literally four times as much.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 13th May 2014 at 11:04 AM.

Thank Post
    Funny, that's almost word for word what I was going to write!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,811 Times in 2,075 Posts
    Considering the acquisition hasn't been confirmed by Apple, I am surprised how many websites are treating it as a done deal.

That said, Dr Dre has good taste in headphones. I have some ATH-M50's myself.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The BBC had an interesting article about the attraction of Beats headphones last week. My favorite bits are:

They are lightweight and easy to wear. One of the company's founders - legendary hip hop producer Dr Dre - imbues them with automatic street cred. But the image comes at a price - a wireless pair is £250. The full collection on Beats' website ranges from £170 to £390. They have a bass-heavy sound popular with fans of RnB and hip hop.
    "But the real audio cognoscenti wouldn't touch them with a barge pole," says technology blogger Tom Cheesewright. "Ultimately they're a fashion brand."
    And

Apple has always had a problem with sound quality, says Jonathan Margolis, technology expert for the Financial Times. And yet Beats is a surprising choice. "Beats is a brilliant marketing trick," he says. You can buy better quality sound for £100 less, he argues. To traditional Apple fans, "Bose and Harmon Kardon would have been far less off-putting".
    It had puzzled my why Apple always bundled such awful headphones with their devices especially given the huge mark-up they have it wouldn't have cost much to have included even half decent headphones.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    It had puzzled my why Apple always bundled such awful headphones with their devices especially given the huge mark-up they have it wouldn't have cost much to have included even half decent headphones.
    Because then it would show up the terrible DSPs they use, or at least used to. I remember reading a blog ages ago that rated iPods against other MP3 players using an oscilscope and waveform for waveform the iPod was the worst at reproducing sound of the lot. I don't know if it has changed but I doubt it. I would wager that the sound output on my Nokia 'camera focused' phone would beat the pants off the equivalent iPod or iPhone just because of how little they used to care about sound quality.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 13th May 2014 at 11:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Beats are over priced I rather get beyerdynamic DT150's.
    Last edited by nicholab; 13th May 2014 at 11:35 AM.

Thank Post
    I think they are a match made in heaven, since they are both overpriced carp.

Thank Post
    I was given a pair of Apple headphones from work (we bought iPods for the PE staff to be able to take registers on, but they didn't use the headphones at all) and they were certainly superior quality to the htc hands-free kit I was using at the time (a little louder, but definitely clearer). They're nothing special, the old Turtlebeach headset I used to use was certainly better , but I wouldn't really consider them to be bad. Then again, I only use them 'casually', as music to-and-from work.

Then again, maybe it's more to do with the device (I have a Sandisk/Sansa Clip for an MP3 player) than the headphones?

Either way, the BBC article also mentioned an interesting point: Ethnic targeting.
    That could be deliberate, he concedes. Ride the New York subway and it seems nearly every black and Hispanic male is wearing Beats or imitations. Apple will reach a new demographic other than its white, hipster, arty, media crowd.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Either way, the BBC article also mentioned an interesting point: Ethnic targeting.
    Oh dear, rap product placement... pass me my iBeats and my 9...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Then again, maybe it's more to do with the device (I have a Sandisk/Sansa Clip for an MP3 player) than the headphones?
    Six of one, half dozen of the other... a device with a high quality DAC will sound better than one with a cheap one (most portable devices have to make some compromise here due to size limitations), but you won't hear the difference unless you have a decent pair of headphones that have wide range and are well balanced. Basically, there's no point in using £500 headphones on a cheapo MP# player, but equally there's no point buying a £10k sound system then plugging in a pair of headphones you got free with an MP# player...

Thank Post
    Oh dear, rap product placement... pass me my iBeats and my 9...
    Have you not heard the song "Big Mac Attack"? (Warning: NSFW unless you've got a very laid back boss)
    Edit: Wrong link. Not going to hunt immensely for it (just took the first one available) - I'm sure you'll find it if you go looking for it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast