+ Post New Thread
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Nissan hire Apple's marketing staff in Fun Stuff; Sorry for the Daily Mail link Nissan develops the world's first SELF-CLEANING car | Mail Online In a nutshell, they're ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 867 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nissan hire Apple's marketing staff

Sorry for the Daily Mail link

Nissan develops the world's first SELF-CLEANING car | Mail Online

In a nutshell, they're using an already existing technology and appear to be claiming it's their own (source is Nissan, not just the Daily Facepalm). Reminds me of someone

Not a bad idea to use it on a car though, wonder how long it would last for! And would hydrophobic coatings have any effect against sand, salt etc? I'd imagine it'd be fairly useless if you're near the coast.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,482 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Now the difference is, Nissan are saying they developed the hydro AND oleo phobic combination, something that has been tried and failed by others.

Thank Post
    Surely this wouldn't work in real world anyway? You'd still need to wash your car, mud splatters and dries so you'd probably find it sticks onto your car or other various crap from the roads will, not to mention underneath your wheel arches etc.... I think it would make cleaning your car a lot more easier but wouldn't completely stop you ever having to do it you'd still have to rinse it down with a hose pipe surely?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They had something similar on The One Show recently, it was a coating which they put onto clothes then they chucked a load of stuff like tomato ketchup and mud onto them. The muck just slid right off. This looks to be the same or a similar thing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,561 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    They had something similar on The One Show recently, it was a coating which they put onto clothes then they chucked a load of stuff like tomato ketchup and mud onto them. The muck just slid right off. This looks to be the same or a similar thing.
    Was it Ultra-Ever Dry? By all accounts a miracle substance, if you can apply it precisely and exactly - and that's a bit of a faff.

(source: The Internet-demanded, partially scientific testing of Ultra-Ever Dry (in HD!) | Ars Technica)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,230 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can't really see from that article that they are claiming that they invented this, developed it for use on cars, yes, but invented, no.

Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Surely this wouldn't work in real world anyway? You'd still need to wash your car, mud splatters and dries so you'd probably find it sticks onto your car or other various crap from the roads will, not to mention underneath your wheel arches etc.... I think it would make cleaning your car a lot more easier but wouldn't completely stop you ever having to do it you'd still have to rinse it down with a hose pipe surely?
    But the mud wouldn't stick to the car and dry. Isn't that the whole point?

Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    This kind of thing has been around for years, I have no idea why its not used more.

I would certainly pay extra for this on my car

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread