+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Mr Steve Jobs... Tut Tut! Email.... in Fun Stuff; "further lock customers into our ecosystem" Well we all knew the truth in the end, what do you guys think? ...

Thank Post

Mr Steve Jobs... Tut Tut! Email....

"further lock customers into our ecosystem"
    Well we all knew the truth in the end, what do you guys think?

Steve Jobs Planned 'Holy War' with Google
    Last edited by abillybob; 7th April 2014 at 01:04 PM.

Thank Post
    I read in his autobiography that he literally wanted to blow up Google

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    I read in his autobiography that he literally wanted to blow up Google
    I don't think literally is quite the right word.

“I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong,” Jobs said. “I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this.”

Jobs used an expletive to describe Android and Google Docs, Google’s Internet-based word processing program. In a subsequent meeting with Schmidt at a Palo Alto, Calif., cafe, Jobs told Schmidt that he wasn't interested in settling the lawsuit, the book says.

“I don’t want your money. If you offer me $5 billion, I won't want it. I've got plenty of money. I want you to stop using our ideas in Android, that’s all I want.” The meeting, Isaacson wrote, resolved nothing. (Source)
    Last edited by Arthur; 7th April 2014 at 01:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not even slightly surprising. It follows their business model exactly. They are all about the lock-in.

Thank Post
    As genius as the guy was he was clearly barking at this point

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem I have with his anger at Android and Google is that it is pretty damn hypocritical. Yes, some things in Android are similar to iOS but then how much of Apple's historic product portfolio was completely free of this kind of thing?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The problem I have with his anger at Android and Google is that it is pretty damn hypocritical. Yes, some things in Android are similar to iOS but then how much of Apple's historic product portfolio was completely free of this kind of thing?
    Exactly, the amount of ideas Apple 'stole' (using Jobs' definition of the word) from Xerox is untrue, including the GUI that Apple later tried to sue MS for... astonishing.

It also annoys me that they sue for the most ridiculous things, such as the current case against Samsung which includes action over "swipe to unlock" - how else are you supposed to unlock a touch screen phone for $deity's sake?!

EDIT: here's another good one made all the more interesting by the above email, Apple filed a patent for the Notification Bar despite the fact it's clearly 'stolen' from Android
    Last edited by LosOjos; 7th April 2014 at 01:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think half the problem with the current litigation obsession is that the US enables it. The US Patent Office is a farce and the courts let this crap happen constantly. There's no proper oversight for patent applications, and no proper fallout if something is wrongly patented, leading to hundreds of millions of dollars being spent on useless litigation. If you happen to be a small player, you've basically had it if Apple or someone comes along and patents something you've been doing for 20 years, as you simply can't afford to take them on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    how else are you supposed to unlock a touch screen phone for $deity's sake?!
    Pattern unlock, PIN unlock (static or dynamic), password unlock, location unlock, face unlock, voice unlock, fingerprint unlock (or just don't lock it at all).
    Last edited by Arthur; 7th April 2014 at 01:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Pattern unlock, PIN unlock (static or dynamic), password unlock, location unlock, face unlock, voice unlock, biometric unlock (or just don't lock it at all).
    OK but they are all more complex than simply swiping your finger across a screen (with the exception of not locking it at all which no manufacturer has made default since *at least* the Nokia 5110 [only name that phone as it's the first I remember owning with a screen lock])

My point is it's ridiculous to expect to patent something so fundamentally obvious and necessary that there is no practical way of doing it any differently.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 7th April 2014 at 01:45 PM.

Thank Post
    My point is it's ridiculous to expect to patent something so fundamentally obvious and necessary that there is no practical way of doing it any differently.
    Blame the system, not Apple. If they hadn't patented it, someone else would have eventually. They would be doing a disservice to their stockholders not to.

Thank Post
    Whereas blowing your company's total cash fund is in the interest.

He had borderline personality issues (let's face it most of us do) I wonder if he actually believed some of rhetoric he came out with.

The patent system in the US is blatantly not fit for purpose but they're never going to reform it when it's prejudiced in an American company's favour

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    Blame the system, not Apple. If they hadn't patented it, someone else would have eventually. They would be doing a disservice to their stockholders not to.
    I agree that the system stinks. In the US the problem is two-fold; an incredibly flawed "sell to the highest bidder" patent system combined with a CEOs obligation by law to do what is best for their shareholders i.e. make the biggest profit (I know it's not that simple in practice but it's more often than not what it amounts to). What I disagree with is Apple actively suing others when they know they're not the rightful owners of some of their patents, they were just the bidders with the most cash/best lawyers.

It's one thing to buy patents to protect your company, it's quite another to take legal action over those patents.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    The patent system in the US is blatantly not fit for purpose but they're never going to reform it when it's prejudiced in an American company's favour
    Not to mention that the US Government don't even hide the fact: Obama Administration Backs Apple in Patent Dispute with Samsung - Law Blog - WSJ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Mr Steve Jobs... Tut Tut! Email....

Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Exactly, the amount of ideas Apple 'stole' (using Jobs' definition of the word) from Xerox is untrue, including the GUI that Apple later tried to sue MS for... astonishing.

It also annoys me that they sue for the most ridiculous things, such as the current case against Samsung which includes action over "swipe to unlock" - how else are you supposed to unlock a touch screen phone for $deity's sake?!

EDIT: here's another good one made all the more interesting by the above email, Apple filed a patent for the Notification Bar despite the fact it's clearly 'stolen' from Android
    http://www-sul.stanford.edu/mac/parc.html

Stole as in were 'shown' for the purpose of furthering xerox's investment in Apple.

The gist of the apple vs google feud is that Google had a board member at apple who clearly was taking broad ideas he learned there back to google... Probably green lighting ideas that mapped to what Apple was developing and holding back ideas that broke that model... As to avoid personal legal blow back.

Don't forget that when apple starting pulling this technology together they were still the underdog, and had barely turned the corner from facing bankruptcy... The product that was to become ios and the associated hardware took a lot of time and money to develop into a working desirable package. You may have forgotten how predominantly awful smartphones PDAs and tablet were before 2007, and those that were any good were completely different to the paradigms used by ios.

I'd say that Steve was right to be annoyed.

In the end though for us consumers, the viable patents help differentiate the products and give us choice, because that is what we want right?
    Last edited by psydii; 7th April 2014 at 02:06 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast