+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Mr Steve Jobs... Tut Tut! Email.... in Fun Stuff; It's one thing to buy patents to protect your company, it's quite another to take legal action over those patents. ...
    Thank Post
    It's one thing to buy patents to protect your company, it's quite another to take legal action over those patents.
    Don't really have much choice if they want to protect those patents.. Damned if they do, damned if they don't

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The 1 thing I like about Apple? iTunes. As much as people hate it, it works for the home devices (such as iPhones and iPods etc). Especially with the air feature. Now you know I am not exactly anti-Apple, but I do dislike most of their products, but in this instance, with the exception of spotify, they have everyone over a barrel. Google music is frankly, carp, Sony music is carp, iTunes did it right...however the problem with it is you do not own anything you "buy" on iTunes. It is a lifetime lease.

Bruce Willis want to have his entire iTunes library (some 10'000 albums of 1000 films or something close too it) in his will to distribute to his daughters, however upon the T&Cs inspection, you are effectively leasing. If they changed it so that you own it, then I would buy my music/films etc from iTunes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    The 1 thing I like about Apple? iTunes. As much as people hate it, it works for the home devices (such as iPhones and iPods etc). Especially with the air feature. Now you know I am not exactly anti-Apple, but I do dislike most of their products, but in this instance, with the exception of spotify, they have everyone over a barrel. Google music is frankly, carp, Sony music is carp, iTunes did it right...however the problem with it is you do not own anything you "buy" on iTunes. It is a lifetime lease.

Bruce Willis want to have his entire iTunes library (some 10'000 albums of 1000 films or something close too it) in his will to distribute to his daughters, however upon the T&Cs inspection, you are effectively leasing. If they changed it so that you own it, then I would buy my music/films etc from iTunes.
    If you are effectively leasing the music etc... you buy from iTunes then surely schools and the like couldn't use the songs or manipulate the songs?
    Have you got a source backing this I'd be very interested in seeing it??

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    My point is it's ridiculous to expect to patent something so fundamentally obvious and necessary that there is no practical way of doing it any differently.
    There are plenty of ways of doing slide-to-unlock differently. You don't necessarily have to copy the method used in iOS 6 of sliding your finger from left to right along a predefined path at the bottom of the touchscreen.

You could slide your finger from right to left or top to bottom for example.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    There are plenty of ways of doing slide-to-unlock differently. You don't necessarily have to copy the method used in iOS 6 of sliding your finger from left to right along a predefined path at the bottom of the touchscreen.

On TouchWiz (Samsung's implementation of the Android Launcher), you can slide your finger any direction you want to unlock the screen

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    If you are effectively leasing the music etc... you buy from iTunes then surely schools and the like couldn't use the songs or manipulate the songs?
    Have you got a source backing this I'd be very interested in seeing it??
    Bruce Willis fights to leave his iPod tunes to his family: Actor considering legal action against Apple in battle over who owns songs downloaded from iTunes | Mail Online

Bruce Willis to fight Apple over iTunes rights

Bruce Willis to fight Apple over right to leave iTunes library in will | Film | theguardian.com

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries

ITunes is TERRIBLE, MS should not have killed off Zune, that managed the same stuff but did not bring every PC ever made to its knees thanks to purposefully terrible coding.

Apple is doing its best to service its shareholders for only the small price of the rest of the human population. Personally I think the US legal system needs to burn in a fire as it is far nastier than the system their forefathers immigrated to supposedly escape. I think they were just pissed they didn't think of a totalitarian system first and planed to do it better in several hundred years. To be fair they are managing it, selling off laws to Apple and any company that can effect their three or four yearly popularity contents. It has even spread to other nations where you can buy laws in the States then have them force them on other nations. Just look at the new NZ copyright laws which were proven to be written by some lobbyist in the US with a big check book and then the issues was forced by a big well armed nation heavily suggesting that it be applied in NZ and Australia.

The US makes me sick and I would rather fly into Tehran wearing a Jewish cap and star of David than visit the US as I would actually feel safer. At least Iran is honest about crushing the will of the masses and hating 'outsiders'. Apple seems to extend these policies brilliantly charging more for everything outside the US and other companies like MS do the same by disregarding anyone outside the US as a matter of course.

There is a reason the US needs such a big military and that's because they have pissed off so many people and countries and yet still want to strong arm them into situations that are bad for them.

In summary I don't think it is even Apple that is the problem anymore rather the state required douchebaggery that is expected and condoned by the country itself. Their 'democracy' is sick and the virus is spreading.

Thank Post
    Bruce Willis wanted to have his entire iTunes library (some 10,000 albums of 1,000 films or something close to it) in his will to distribute to his daughters, however upon the T&Cs inspection, you are effectively leasing.
    That Bruce Willis story wasn't true btw. You shouldn't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail.

Who owns your downloaded music after you die? « CNet

Earlier today, a story emerged from the British tabloids that Bruce Willis was considering suing Apple in a bid to determine who gets his iTunes music collection after his death. Perhaps something more suited for April Fool's Day? We reported it (and fell for it) and we've updated the piece to reflect that the original source was a work of fiction. (Willis' wife tweeted this morning that the story was not true).

However, you are right that when someone dies the licenses are terminated and the music, movies and eBooks should be deleted (rather than transferred to relatives).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK, whilst he may not be suing, the point is still there...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries

None of those methods are significantly different, so would be covered by Apple's patent.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    None of those methods are significantly different, so would be covered by Apple's patent.
    You're right. Those examples weren't very good.

However, Google (and others) have developed workarounds which do not appear to infringe on Apple's patent(s).

You can see that the effective scope of the claim isn't concerned with where you start, the path you take, or that you end up anywhere other than a general "unlock region." It's really only important that you continuously move an image to an unlock region. That's significantly expanded patent coverage.

Heavy use of the predefined verbiage in the first two patents left the door open for competitors — namely Android OEMs — to implement unlock features that would likely avoid the patents. We saw Samsung, LG, HTC, and likely even Google beginning with stock Ice Cream Sandwich, come up with workarounds to Apple's patents. While some of the competition is still arguably sidestepping the coverage of the '103 patent with their previous workarounds — such as HTC with its lack of a distinct "unlock region" — others may need to look at yet another design tweak to avoid locking horns with Apple in the future. (Source)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You're right. Those examples weren't very good.

However, Google (and others) have developed workarounds which do not appear to infringe on Apple's patent(s).

That looks like a Nexus 7, I am surprised it is still keeping track of the persons finger, neither of the two I had managed that trick reliably. - stupid vBulitin, my message is not too short -.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Exhibit 'M', m'lud.

Microsoft researcher's 1991 video could torpedo Apple's key 'slide to unlock' patent - GeekWire

However, overturning a patent on prior art, and having to pay because you infringe that same patent are two different matters.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 8th April 2014 at 03:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    ITunes is TERRIBLE, MS should not have killed off Zune, that managed the same stuff but did not bring every PC ever made to its knees thanks to purposefully terrible coding.
    It still exists, just re branded as XBOX music. Either buy-buy\own, or get a subscription\listen to ads for rental. Zune is still used for WP7 phones.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12