+ Post New Thread
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Forget 4G, 5G is coming to town thanks to David Cameron! in Fun Stuff; Why David Cameron's 5G internet will be so fast it's almost pointless | Technology | The Guardian Apparently David Cameron ...

Thank Post

Forget 4G, 5G is coming to town thanks to David Cameron!

Why David Cameron's 5G internet will be so fast it's almost pointless | Technology | The Guardian

Apparently David Cameron has made some kind of deal with Germany, Britain and Germany are going ahead to help create 5G mobile internet, this will happen in just short of 2 years, so you know all those 4G phones you just went out and bought........ well they're old now
    Last edited by abillybob; 10th March 2014 at 03:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    uhh...South Korea, Japan and chunks of China already has 5G...hardly a world first.

Thank Post
    Wow didn't know this I'm sorry will edit my post!

Thank Post
    5G? I can barely get 3G where I live. Maybe our current coverage should be sorted out first.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd be happy with a connection of any kind over 6Mbps...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Current coverage of 3G and 4G is being improved to encompase the entire of the UK on every network, as per the governments specs. They've still not done it on 3G, but once they have, they can then upgrade everything to 4G, by which point they'll need to start on 5G. Its mental what they're planning.

Thank Post
    download 800Mb in 1 second? That will eat nicely into my PAYG 1GB data limit!

Thank Post
    I read somewhere that in China they give every house free broadband connection which is fibre optic Is this true? I'm not to bothered if I'm honest about 4g or 5g, I think 3g is perfectly fine for me, I only get around 700kbps broadband speeds where I live and that needs to be improved we don't even have fiber optic options. I think before looking at all these 5G deals etc... we should be more focused on Broadband speeds as I'm sure I've read the UK has the slowest overall broadband speeds in the world. Telford near me apparently has the fastest speeds in the UK which doesn't surprise me as their local authority is all about future proofing and creating a city out of a town.

Thank Post
    I get 4G most places i go now, more than happy i can get 50+Mbps in a field.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    I read somewhere that in China they give every house free broadband connection which is fibre optic Is this true?
    What? No...

China Says Broadband Speeds Of 20 Mbps By 2015 - Forbes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not wrong @fiza but thankfully I have 8GB at the minute. I eat through 8GB in a given month with ease, 6GB if I curb my usage, and this is whilst I am commuting to work and such and connecting in and doing work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    It's fascinating isn't it? David Cameron the '5G' expert. If he really wants to know how it would boost the economy, offer full UK coverage first using existing technologies - then worry about speeds later.

The best I've seen by far (different technology) is Sky/Freesat, which offers 99.7% coverage of the UK. If they achieved the same with an established technology like 3G... if only.

A faster connection means transactions are performed faster, but does that mean as a result more transactions will occur? No I don't think so. I think they're looking at it from the wrong angle.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    download 800Mb in 1 second? That will eat nicely into my PAYG 1GB data limit!
    When you consider the data limits have basically been shown to be pure money spinners - it costs the companies pennies and we pay tens of pounds - this would have to change if super high speeds were available.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I get 4G most places i go now, more than happy i can get 50+Mbps in a field.
    4G coverage is awful still. Basically the entire SW of England has no coverage (unless you're in one of the couple of 'big' cities). We're not due for such coverage for some time too. There's quite a lot of this town that doesn't get 3G and some areas which don't get any signal at all... Looking at the coverage map for my provider, this area is one of the largest areas in England with such poor coverage.

The other thing is the other end of all this - server uplinks. How many companies can support those sort of speeds? Unless you're talking about Apple, Google, Amazon etc... there's not many at all. SME won't have those sorts of uplinks, that's for sure. For me to get a 1Gbit connection on my VPS, I'd have to pay around double my current monthly bill, for example.

Then you have to ask about need? Who needs to be able to download a movie in a few seconds?
    Last edited by localzuk; 10th March 2014 at 03:54 PM.

Thank Post
    I think he is looking to the 5G solution so he (and the phone companies) don't have to sort the poor fixed connections in rural areas.

Thank Post
    hmmm i wonder will this happen before i get internet faster the 2mb. or after as all i want is to download from steam in less then a day not 1-10 days

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread