+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Close Your HTML Tags! [Sewing And Embroidery Trouble Shooting Guide] in Fun Stuff; Link 1: Embroidery Trouble Shooting Page Found at: Link 2: The Sewing and Embroidery Warehouse website beautifully demonstrates the importance ...
  1. #1

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    8,775
    Thank Post
    351
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1126

    Close Your HTML Tags! [Sewing And Embroidery Trouble Shooting Guide]


  2. #2

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,729
    Thank Post
    1,271
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Awesome.

    Its interesting why this happens, it appears that just not closing the h3 tags doesn't cause this, its in conjunction with the <width=”25%” align=”left”> tags.
    Actually I am bit confused about why this happens.

  3. #3

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,446
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Actually I am bit confused about why this happens.
    I suspect it's because they've [correctly] used scaled sizes in the CSS for the H3 tags, but as they haven't closed them then this scaling becomes cumulative. i.e. size set to 1.2em, making font 1.2 times larger than standard in it's context, but then repeats the scaling with each new tag added as it will look to it's parent element (the previously scaled H3 tag) for the "standard" size before scaling...

    I may be completely wrong

  4. #4

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,729
    Thank Post
    1,271
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I suspect it's because they've [correctly] used scaled sizes in the CSS for the H3 tags, but as they haven't closed them then this scaling becomes cumulative. i.e. size set to 1.2em, making font 1.2 times larger than standard in it's context, but then repeats the scaling with each new tag added as it will look to it's parent element (the previously scaled H3 tag) for the "standard" size before scaling...

    I may be completely wrong
    Hmm, I tried to be replicate this but just leaving h3 tags open doesn't do it, the width tag needs to be there so....

    ... dunno lol

  5. #5
    Seb1780's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    216
    Thank Post
    99
    Thanked 94 Times in 71 Posts
    Rep Power
    92
    It's something more than the H3 tags; at work on IE9 I couldn't see the effect. At home on Firefox 27 all is obvious.

  6. #6

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,658
    Thank Post
    858
    Thanked 646 Times in 429 Posts
    Rep Power
    498
    Same happens with Chrome 33 and IE11!

  7. #7

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,658
    Thank Post
    858
    Thanked 646 Times in 429 Posts
    Rep Power
    498
    If you zoom out as far as you can go you get the intro from Star Wars

  8. #8


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    565
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    223
    Found the problem.

    There is only one declaration of the <table> tag. There are however numerous </table> tags.

    Each section of the page is it's own table. Adding a <table> tag to the start of each section properly aligns the text to the left using the correct font sizes.

    VERY odd bug but makes sense

  9. #9

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,729
    Thank Post
    1,271
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by LeightonJames View Post
    Found the problem.

    There is only one declaration of the <table> tag. There are however numerous </table> tags.

    Each section of the page is it's own table. Adding a <table> tag to the start of each section properly aligns the text to the left using the correct font sizes.

    VERY odd bug but makes sense
    Don't think that is correct.
    If I try this code in an html tester: Tryit Editor v1.9
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <body>
    
    <h3>Line 1
    <h3>Line 2
    <h3>Line 4
    <h3>Line 5
    <h3>Line 6
    
    </body>
    </html>
    It works as expected:
    html_right.PNG

    However if I add the width tag:
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <body>
    
    <h3>Line 1
    <width=”25%” align=”left”>
    <h3>Line 2
    <width=”25%” align=”left”>
    <h3>Line 4
    <width=”25%” align=”left”>
    <h3>Line 5
    <width=”25%” align=”left”>
    <h4>Line 6
    
    </body>
    </html>
    Its goes all wrong:
    html_wrong.PNG

    No table in sight.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dudley
    Posts
    120
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    I don't understand what this is doing completely but I think it's something along the lines of what LosOjos said regarding the scaled sizes being nested...

    Is there even such a thing as a width tag in HTML? I have never seen it. Is it simply being interpreted in your 2nd example and on the embroidery site as a tag the browser doesn't understand and this is causing the browser to not automatically close each h3 tag before opening another as it does for me when I run your first example?

  11. #11

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,729
    Thank Post
    1,271
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by spadam View Post
    I don't understand what this is doing completely but I think it's something along the lines of what LosOjos said regarding the scaled sizes being nested...

    Is there even such a thing as a width tag in HTML? I have never seen it. Is it simply being interpreted in your 2nd example and on the embroidery site as a tag the browser doesn't understand and this is causing the browser to not automatically close each h3 tag before opening another as it does for me when I run your first example?
    Think you got it right there.

    If I add any unknown tag it happens!

    Good work!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 9th November 2011, 12:00 PM
  2. [Video] Clean your balls with axe. [ And it's not rude ]
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14th January 2010, 07:04 PM
  3. New UPS solution needed...your recommendations please guys and gals...
    By Ben_Stanton in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 6th August 2009, 10:00 PM
  4. For Your Art Staff/Students And Photographers?
    By DaveP in forum Other Stuff
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29th October 2008, 11:37 AM
  5. HTML tag help
    By randle in forum Web Development
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21st April 2008, 03:03 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •