+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Good news for Android Owners in Fun Stuff; This can only be a good thing. Cyanogen Mod are to become Cyanogen Inc based in Seattle and are to ...

Thank Post

Good news for Android Owners

This can only be a good thing. Cyanogen Mod are to become Cyanogen Inc based in Seattle and are to release a Universal Installer for Cyanogen which will make the installation process easier for all users:

Taking a longer view, Mr Kondik said the goal of the company was to outdo Google and create an operating system for a phone that was "actually designed by and for the people who use it".
    I am pretty excited about this and look forward to the release. Hopefully they can port cyanogen to ALL android devices including those generic models.

Android alternative gets $7m funding boost

Thank Post
    Woohoo!
    Have used CM7 and CM9 across different phones and it's been wonderful. Can't fault it.

Looks like other companies have taken note, too.. My new XPERIA SP looks conveniently similar in both style and layout

Thank Post
    Not everyone is happy about this. A lot of contributors to the code are being left behind, and from what I have read CM is to be dual licensed, so hardware manufactures can make modifications to the code that won't be going back to the open source community

Thank Post
    I really wanted to get my hands on Ubuntu touch tbh. So many Android Mods are all the same, I see no real difference in cyan compare to insert coin etc other than the launcher which can be basically made to what you want anyway!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    I see no real difference in cyan
    Other than the RemoteDisplayAdapter framework (which includes support for AirPlay Mirroring, AirPlay/Chromecast/DLNA/Roku audio and video streaming, hardware-accelerated screen capture), SMS encryption, Privacy Guard, one-click installer apps for Windows and Android, the CyanogenMod Account (find/wipe/sync your Android devices) plus whatever features they haven't announced yet.

Not much at all then!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Other than the RemoteDisplayAdapter framework (which includes support for AirPlay Mirroring, AirPlay/Chromecast/DLNA/Roku audio and video streaming, hardware-accelerated screen capture), SMS encryption, Privacy Guard, one-click installer apps for Windows and Android, the CyanogenMod Account (find/wipe/sync your Android devices) plus whatever features they haven't announced yet.

Not much at all then!
    Dammit fanboi *Shakes fist*

Yeah ok granted they do have nice features. But you can over saturate and end up in the galaxy s4 territory. Stuff like Chromecast and roku are very niche and if I’m brutally honest I'd be disappointed if I found a Chromecast. I'll keep my MK808 as a lovely little XBMC device thank you very much, double that with the Yatse remote and you've got almost all the features above in a single app. Encryption stuff is nice but it’s just another version of googles privacy and won’t last as it restrains ‘features’. Hardware screen capture... will we be streaming our angry bird games on twitch soon? As I'm sure you know hw decoding makes stuff HOT and if like me you have a HTC One which is made of a single bit of tin or w/e it gets REALLY HOT, this worries people not in the know of world of hardware and quickly makes them lock the phone, put it down and walk off. Unless you’re a ooo look at my stylish none stock anything launcher setup what is the point of it?

It’s just another version of android causing more fragmentation across the open source market.

But, I’m pleased they are doing it I really am, its about time someone did this tbh its just they’ll need something more than this to sell it, in fact to the normal phone user the look of the OS is fare more valued than the features as long as it texts, facebooks and whatsapps. My point is reinforced when I ask people "Why do you have an iPhone?" and their answer is usually "Because its an iPhone" ...

Viva la kit kat!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Yeah ok granted they do have nice features. But you can over saturate and end up in the galaxy s4 territory.
    Even with the additional features described above, I think CM has a very long way to go before it reaches Galaxy Note III levels of bloat.

Stuff like Chromecast and Roku are very niche
    At the moment they are, but I could see Chromecast being really popular once Google get round to actually selling it outside of the US and the non-beta SDK is released.

It’s just another version of Android causing more fragmentation across the open source market.
    CM is essentially stock Android, but with extra apps and features so I don't see it causing any more fragmentation than we currently have.

Personally I would rather use CyanogenMod than Samsung's TouchWiz'd version of Android or the monstrosity that LG have created. Some versions of Android are truly horrific!

Perhaps now that CyanogenMod is a proper company, we will see smaller manufacturers (i.e. everyone who isn't Samsung) sell devices with CM installed - Oppo is definitely a good start.

But, I'm pleased they are doing it I really am, it's about time someone did this tbh its just they’ll need something more than this to sell it
    The main selling point would be that your Android device gets updated in a timely manner.

My point is reinforced when I ask people "Why do you have an iPhone?" and their answer is usually "Because it's an iPhone" ...
    Yeah. It's a shame that a lot of iPhone users buy them as fashion accessories, but I suppose it isn't any different than the people who buy Beats headphones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cyanogen Mod is good, have recommended it to a few people who have been stuck with aging bloated unsupported android phones and it makes them way better in most things, including battery life on a stack of them. And it beats being stuck with a vulnerable bunch of software on an abandoned rom.

Thank Post
    My first experience with CM was with my old Galaxy S 1 and it's miserable battery life due to a bug Samsung had introduced into the Android System portion of the code. CM had managed to remove this bug LOONNNGGG before Samsung had released an update to the OS and from there I have used numerous custom Roms on my Android devices.

Thank Post
    This is great news!

Re-installed Cyanogen last week on my SGS2 after having a ROM that randomly restarted every few hrs and had various other bugs (was still in alpha stages so I should've known) and the battery life has improved drastically! I also forgot how much faster the phone ran with it on.

If people start using it more, then you never know, manafacturers may realise it's a winner and stop cramming so much bloatware on their devices... unlikely, but still...

Thank Post
    I'm actually sad to hear this going through.

This will lead to problems.. Look at the focal app drama.

Thank Post
    I suspect it will mean better builds for those that partner with Cyanogen Inc, but unusable ones for non affiliated manufacturers.

If you thought Samsung were difficult with source releases before, imagine how it will be now they are a commercial competitor!

Thank Post
    Re-installed Cyanogen last week on my SGS2
    PM me some info how I get Cyanogen on my stock S2. Looks very good but getting a bit lost.

Thank Post
    I don't understand why people are seeing this as a Negative....

CM are hardly going to start being difficult to deal with and risk losing what makes them a better alternative to the OS most people use. CM are renowned for adding great features and making the whole user experience much more user friendly and powerful. You will be hard pushed to find an android phone that doesn't run a version of CM (be it a port or built from the ground up). Why would they suddenly decide that one device is not worthy of a specific update? The beauty of CM is that they are Open Source and happy for other devs to use their work as a base on which to build Mods.

Samsung won't let you use their launcher on another phone, LG don't want you to use their environment on any other phone. Want to update your Phone to the latest version of Jelly Bean on your trusty Galaxy S?? You can't because Samsung don't think it's powerful enough to run ICS even with their clunky laggy Touchwiz interface. CM gives YOU the OWNER the power to choose which launcher and which version of Android you want to use.

I know some people will see this as a "preaching to the choir" post but I'm honestly baffled as to why people think this is not good news.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am surprised to see people moaning about fragmentation.
    Isn't this kinda thing the whole point about Open Source and should be encouraged?!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast