+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Good news for Android Owners in Fun Stuff; Focal camera app removed from CyanogenMod, launched as standalone beta...

Thank Post

Thank Post
    What exactly in TouchWiz do people have such an issue with?
    Had an S2 which I had CM and various other roms on. Now have an S4 and it still has TouchWiz on it. Launcher changed from TWLauncher to something else and that's it. If it's purely the launcher that bothers people, install a new one!

People complain about it being bloated, but again you have the option to disable apps. Don't get me wrong, CM10 was nice to use on the S2, but I've not felt any urge to flash anything on the S4 after changing the Launcher.

Thank Post
    I've always avoided it since my S1 as back then it was unresponsive at times, laggy as hell and full of so much crapware that it killed the battery life mere hours instead of days.

Flashing a custom rom removes all these niggles and allows me to customise the phone in a way that suits me. An example of this is the Paranoid Android roms which give you customisation of app layouts and resolution.

The best and most simplistic launcher (read basic) i have found is Trebuchet. Comes with most Custom Rom's and is easy enough to use for even the most uneducated of users.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeightonJames View Post
    I've always avoided it since my S1 as back then it was unresponsive at times, laggy as hell and full of so much crapware that it killed the battery life mere hours instead of days.

Flashing a custom rom removes all these niggles and allows me to customise the phone in a way that suits me. An example of this is the Paranoid Android roms which give you customisation of app layouts and resolution.

The best and most simplistic launcher (read basic) i have found is Trebuchet. Comes with most Custom Rom's and is easy enough to use for even the most uneducated of users.
    This is my point. TouchWiz goes beyond the launcher. TouchWiz changes so many things, and if people's gripe is primarily with the launcher (I too found it laggy, and prefer the stock layout) then just install a different one.
    Flashing a custom ROM can sometimes remove these things, but then add in the fact that it can sometimes make things worse in other areas.

Genuine question (despite it sounding sarcastic!) but what customisation would CM give you over TouchWiz outside of the launcher? I've used both but perhaps I've just never gone to the level of configuration as others have to notice the things it changes

Thank Post
    Take a look at PAC-man roms.

It combines the best elements of:

Paranoid Android
    Cyanogen Mod
    and AOKP

PAC ROM

The 3 elements together give you so many options in terms of customisation. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what these roms can do but I have been able to increase the resolution (or dpi) of even the S1 so that I can then make use of the tablet style layout for things like GMail and the Settings screen. I can colour certain Gapps in a way that I like. It has even enabled me to install the tablet/HD options of some apps such as the XDA App or Tapatalk. All these features are unavailable to you if you stick with Touchwiz and in my opinion, you are missing out.

At the end of the day it is all down to personal preference and I know some people who are more than happy to keep their device as stock.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,739 Times in 2,019 Posts

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    PM me some info how I get Cyanogen on my stock S2. Looks very good but getting a bit lost.
    PM Sent - If any of the info doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

The paranoid android ROM looks good, but I found it to be very buggy, crashes a lot and restarts the phone randomly. I also foud that after a few week of using it - the notifications stopped working on my phone so I weren't aware of text messages or emails coming through... Although I was using a very early release of it - it may have improved since then.

Take a look at PAC-man roms.
    All I got when I flashed this on was a boot-loop. I followed the instructions to the dot and boot-loop. I also tried flashing it using different methods but faced the same problem eveytime. Might have to give it another go. Did look like a good solid ROM though from what the guys at XDA-Dev were saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The first CyanogenMod phone looks pretty cool...
    Looks alright - good spec too! Shame they've not tried to be a bit more competitive on the price.
    Last edited by gtg93; 25th September 2013 at 01:16 PM.

Thank Post
    PM Sent - If any of the info doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.
    cool, thanks.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    But does it actually work? I've tried cyanogen a few times, but it was always too broken to live with it as a day to day rom for my S2/S3.
    It may be fine on other phones, but it's still not much use on the S3, the lack of relevant sources from Samsung make it hard work for the i9300 maintainers.

I tried really hard to like it, as I hate all the samsung crap that is all over their phones, but I had a non broken phone with better battery life by just rooting and removing the crap.

Thank Post
    Too many newbies bricking their phones I guess?

CyanogenMod Installer Application Removed from Play Store

Today, we were contacted by the Google Play Support team to say that our CyanogenMod Installer application is in violation of Google Play’s developer terms.

They advised us to voluntarily remove the application, or they would be forced to remove it administratively. We have complied with their wishes while we wait for a more favorable resolution.

To those unfamiliar with the application, it has a single function – to guide users to enable “ADB”, a built in development and debugging tool, and then navigates the user to the desktop installer. The desktop application then performs the installation of the CyanogenMod on their Android device.

After reaching out to the Play team, their feedback was that though application itself is harmless, since it ‘encourages users to void their warranty’, it would not be allowed to remain in the store.

We’ve seen hundreds of thousands of installations of the application, proving the demand for more choice, and that the need for an alternative Android experience exists. As we work through this new hurdle, we will continue to make available and support the installation process via our own hosting services.

Fortunately, Android is open enough that devices allow for installing applications via ‘Unknown Sources’ (i.e. sideload). Though it’s a hassle and adds steps to the process, this does allow us a path forward, outside of the Play Store itself.

The application can be found via the Get Started link on CyanogenMod.org. In addition to ‘sideloading’, we are submitting the application to the Amazon and Samsung app-stores.
    CyanogenMod Installer Removed From Play Store At Google's Insistence, Still Available For Sideloading [Update: CM Installer Is Now Open Source] « Android Police

Thank Post
    I thought that it had been decided that flashing custom ROMs didn't void warranty in the US and EU, as long as it could be proven the software didn't cause the fault?

Thank Post
    That's what I was thinking too.

However, the situation is a bit different in the US where Cyanogen, Inc. are based.

Thank Post
    Surely just ban it from the US store then.

Or even better, don't ban it - if Google are still aiming for Android to be an open platform, surely it's in their best interest to allow items such as this, that they can see is beneficial to some users, so just add a "WARNING: THIS MAY REMOVE YOUR WARRANTY" disclaimer...

Thank Post
    But installing CyanogenMod would overwrite all those nice little bits of code sending back your details

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast