+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 79
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Holly Willoughby loses her cool with Katie Hopkins in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by LeightonJames Are these not pronounced You-An and Yes-Tin?? Ewan and Justin (I am informed that there is ...
  1. #61
    HaleStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,032
    Thank Post
    89
    Thanked 164 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by LeightonJames View Post
    Are these not pronounced You-An and Yes-Tin??

    Ewan and Justin (I am informed that there is no J in the Welsh Language????)
    Ieuan is pronounced "Yai-an" as previously mentioned

    Ianto is another one people can't pronounce its "yan-toe" but people say it as "ee-an-toe" or "I-an-toe"+

  2. #62

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,056
    Thank Post
    591
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    Ianto is another one people can't pronounce its "yan-toe" but people say it as "ee-an-toe" or "I-an-toe"+
    I will always get the right because of Torchwood.

  3. #63


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    565
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    223
    Fair enough

    I believe my name is Welsh but I have an extra issue with my name in that my Surname is James so the 2 often get reversed and people call me James Leighton.

    I am not Welsh and neither are my parents so I'm not 100% sure how the name came about.

  4. #64
    HaleStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,032
    Thank Post
    89
    Thanked 164 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    93
    My mum always taught me how to say Welsh names when I was younger, but when i first saw torchwood my first thought was "they actually say his name right!"

  5. #65
    Alkaline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    208
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    I can see where she is coming from, but I think she is in a bit of a bubble. You don't want to shelter your kids too much.

  6. #66


    AMLightfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hampshire, England
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    370
    Thanked 620 Times in 396 Posts
    Rep Power
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    As its my name, i know much about this...try and tell an English person your name and they look at you like you've dropped out of space! And asking someone to pronounce it right is nigh on impossible!
    So how do you pronounce it?

    I've heard it said as Gehr-aint (by a Geraint himself) - is this right?

  7. #67
    HaleStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,032
    Thank Post
    89
    Thanked 164 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    So how do you pronounce it?

    I've heard it said as Gehr-aint (by a Geraint himself) - is this right?
    That right, but you get some odd pronunciations "ge-ry-ant" "gry-unt" "je-ree-ant" it got to a point in school where I corrected teachers so many times I started to ignore them when they said it wrong, and when questioned about it replyed "well thats not my name, how did I know you were talking to me"

  8. #68

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,118
    Thank Post
    1,371
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Rep Power
    703
    My friend Geraint pronounces it Gehr -eynt
    Ieuan is either Yayan or Yyan - I know one of each. DEFINITELY NOT EWAN
    Iestyn is indeed Yestin. Nothing to do with Justin
    I did think of calling my son Ianto or the family name, Maldwyn (could be Mal-dwyn or Maul-dwyn) but I wasn't allowed those either


    *I called him Rhys - which caused problems for him when he was little as you can't sound it out!

  9. #69
    HaleStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,032
    Thank Post
    89
    Thanked 164 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    93
    My first child will be call Ffion if its a girl, i've always liked it as a name, it means foxglove in Welsh....but im guessing the double F will confuse alot of people, even though its still a regular f sound.
    Not decided on a boys name yet, but his 2nd name will be William after my Great-Grandad who recently passed away, but he survived being a Japanese POW in Burma...and he still hated the French more than the Japanese in his words "The Japanese were evil sadistic monsters, but at least they didn't run away and hide like the French did"

  10. #70


    AMLightfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hampshire, England
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    370
    Thanked 620 Times in 396 Posts
    Rep Power
    251
    On the subject of names, I'm hoping the Duchess of Cambridge will have a baby girl and that she will call her Princess Alexandra - such a famous use of the name is bound to help educate people. Giving thought to putting a flutter on at the bookies.

  11. #71
    HaleStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,032
    Thank Post
    89
    Thanked 164 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    93
    Im guessing that people saying Alexandria rather than Alexandra is your annoyance then?

  12. #72


    AMLightfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hampshire, England
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    370
    Thanked 620 Times in 396 Posts
    Rep Power
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    Im guessing that people saying Alexandria rather than Alexandra is your annoyance then?
    Actually, no. I don't mind that - at least it is gender-correct and saying 'Alexandria' is a simple mistake. I get annoyed at being called Alexander or people assuming I'm male because people call me Alex (despite my best efforts)

  13. #73
    HaleStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,032
    Thank Post
    89
    Thanked 164 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Actually, no. I don't mind that - at least it is gender-correct and saying 'Alexandria' is a simple mistake. I get annoyed at being called Alexander or people assuming I'm male because people call me Alex (despite my best efforts)
    People being name-illiterate and jumping to assumptions like that are really annoying...Like the O2 customer support person on the phone that assumed my sister in laws first name was Jason when she rang them because she said J. Watts as her name and shes got a deeper voice than most girls her age

  14. #74


    AMLightfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hampshire, England
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    370
    Thanked 620 Times in 396 Posts
    Rep Power
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    People being name-illiterate and jumping to assumptions like that are really annoying...Like the O2 customer support person on the phone that assumed my sister in laws first name was Jason when she rang them because she said J. Watts as her name and shes got a deeper voice than most girls her age
    Aye - I turned up to my first teaching placement when I did my PGCE and sat in reception for AGES until someone bothered to find out where I was because they were expecting 'Alex Lightfoot' so didn't associate me with the person they were waiting for. THEN to add insult to injury my name badge had Mr A Lightfoot on it. and when I pointed this out, they (badly) tippexed over the r and put 'Ms'. It was awful. In the end I removed the paper slip and printed my own with 'Miss A Lightfoot' on it.

  15. #75

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,056
    Thank Post
    591
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Aye - I turned up to my first teaching placement when I did my PGCE and sat in reception for AGES until someone bothered to find out where I was because they were expecting 'Alex Lightfoot' so didn't associate me with the person they were waiting for. THEN to add insult to injury my name badge had Mr A Lightfoot on it. and when I pointed this out, they (badly) tippexed over the r and put 'Ms'. It was awful. In the end I removed the paper slip and printed my own with 'Miss A Lightfoot' on it.
    I had a similar thing happen.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Have you done anything cool with Metro?
    By CAM in forum Windows 8
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd May 2013, 06:04 PM
  2. [Pics] New York Post Has Trouble With Concepts Of Win/Lose/Draw
    By DaveP in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16th June 2010, 06:00 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12th May 2010, 09:04 AM
  4. Cooling fan with a difference
    By theeldergeek in forum Hardware
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 5th March 2010, 02:27 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •