+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Holly Willoughby loses her cool with Katie Hopkins in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by AMLightfoot isn't 'Dani' a better short form of Daniel than Danny? THAT'S WHAT I SAID! But, I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    isn't 'Dani' a better short form of Daniel than Danny?
    THAT'S WHAT I SAID! But, I still have people getting legit angry about it.

It's like I just punched a baby or something. [Not even joking on that comparison.]

I also argue that it doesn't even matter. It's just a collection of letters that someone has assigned meaning to. Abcde [Ab-Keh-Dee] is as legitimate a name as Brian.

Chad seems to be more American in origin and I've only ever seen it used in men. What would it be short for in a woman? (If shortened at all).
    No long version. No lastname. Just Chad.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    The Americans have changed the sex of so many names now, that it is impossible to tell what sex anyone is from a name. I cite Glenn, Daryl, Ashley, Reece, Jordan, and Morgan just for a start

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    I have to admit I was taken aback the first time I met a man named Carol - it was such a popular girl's name once but I don't think it's been a popular boy's name in anybody's living memory, so I was shocked to find that it was actually a boy's name originally...

Thank Post
    As was Marion. Hilary is both.

I wonder if @AMLightfoot 's problem with her name is because people are no longer bothering with the slight change in lettering between the male and female version of her name?
    I know a female Leslie which should be Lesley and another who spells her name Francis when the usual female spelling is Frances
    Last edited by witch; 8th July 2013 at 11:37 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    The Americans have changed the sex of so many names now, that it is impossible to tell what sex anyone is from a name. I cite Glenn, Daryl, Ashley, Reece, Jordan, and Morgan just for a start
    The thing is, names evolve in society - how often do you hear of someone named Boudicca? Or Gaius, or Abrecan? These were probably popular names once but as society evolved so have names. Gaius or Romulus or Lentulus were Roman names but I only see them in TV shows now. I can't imagine for a second a medieval person called 'Jordan' although 'Morgan' was a medieval female name - Morgan Le Fay anyone?

Geraint is popular in Wales but you don't see it in England unless the person is of welsh origin. @X-13 makes an interesting point about names being an arbitrary collection of characters assigned meanings but I do think that the popularity of names is linked to reputation and vice versa - if the reputation of a name is sullied by the actions of a celebrity, then the use of that name will decline - 'Jordan' for example - many people may think twice about using the name 'Jordan' for either boys or girls because of the 'celebrity' association with Katie Price - this is an example of how 'reputation' affects name use. I wouldn't call my child 'Myra' for example - not because it is an ugly name, but because of the notoriety of someone once called it.

Thank Post
    As was Marion. Hilary is both.

I wonder if @AMLightfoot 's problem with her name is because people are no longer bothering with the slight change in lettering between the male and female version of her name?
    I know a female Leslie which should be Lesley and another who spells her name Francis when the usual female spelling is Frances
    I'd agree if there weren't long and historical examples of the clear differentiation between the Masculine and Feminine. I've NEVER known of a single female 'Alexander'. Alexander, of Greek origin meaning 'One who is defender of makind' and it's feminine counterpart Alexandra/Alexandria have been very clearly differentiated throughout history - Alexander the Great is the main example that comes to mind but also Alexander Graham-Bell as famour males, but Queen Alexandra of Denmark was Elizabeth II's Great-Grandmother I believe. There is no excuse where we live either as the QA - the Queen Alexandra Hospital is the main hospital in Portsmouth! The Queen Alexandra Royal Army Nursing Corps, Alexandria in Egypt - Plenty of examples.

Thank Post
    Plenty of examples, yes, but are they examples that someone who isn't terribly well educated or interested in such things would know?
    I did a quick straw poll in the staff room and most people know at least one Alexander but few know any Alexandras which might point to why people spell it the male way?

BTW - Morgan le Fey isn't historical, but probably fictional as there is no proof she ever existed, and interestingly enough, she does have a man's name:
    "In Celtic terms, Morgan (or Morcant) is a man's name. The feminine version is more correctly Morgain (or Morgue or Morgne). "

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Morgue
    Yes. Name your children after the place they store dead bodies. [I know the name came first. Disregard facts, aquire humour.]

Thank Post
    Funny you should say that. When I was about to have our second son, I wanted a Welsh name as I am half welsh. I wasnt allowed all the difficult ones like Ieuan or Iestyn so I asked for Morgan (this is before it became a girl's name). My husband objected as he didn't want a child nicknamed Morgue. I hadn't even thought of it as to me and my Welsh family it is just short for Morgan

Thank Post
    I wasnt allowed all the difficult ones like Ieuan or Iestyn
    Both hilarious to watch people try to pronounce when reading

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Both hilarious to watch people try to pronounce when reading
    Pronounced Ewan and Ethan perhaps? Then again we've been told they are welsh names and we know that welsh consonants and consonant pairs sound different.

Thank Post
    Pronounced Ewan and Ethan perhaps? Then again we've been told they are welsh names and we know that welsh consonants and consonant pairs sound different.
    We have a teacher called Ieuan and he pronounces it "Yai-An"

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In my old WoW guild, we had someone called Aoife. I had no clue how to pronounce this until we finally had a guild meetup and I was told how to properly pronounce it Ee-Fa instead of...err...Whiffy. A year later his came in handy as a student arrived at the school with this very name so I was well armed to avoid name-related embarrassment...

I also seem to answer to my alias more then my real name these days. The problem of meeting people online is you are forever using the various aliases you have come to know each other by so I just answer to all of them.

Thank Post
    ... Ieuan or Iestyn....
    Are these not pronounced You-An and Yes-Tin??

Ewan and Justin (I am informed that there is no J in the Welsh Language????)

Thank Post
    Geraint is popular in Wales but you don't see it in England unless the person is of welsh origin.
    As its my name, i know much about this...try and tell an English person your name and they look at you like you've dropped out of space! And asking someone to pronounce it right is nigh on impossible!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast