+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Holly Willoughby loses her cool with Katie Hopkins in Fun Stuff; As some of you have said, I agree that after hearing a name, we're likely to build an image and ...
    Thank Post
    As some of you have said, I agree that after hearing a name, we're likely to build an image and have an opinion on how the person is going to be - that's normal, that's human and I don't think we can help it...

But, you can't just instantly dismiss someone due to their name. They haven't chosen to be called that, and at the age we're talking about, it's not like they could change it even if they wanted (not that I'm saying they should). This woman is a complete idiot, and we can only hope her children realise it before they become set in her ways.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg93 View Post
    we can only hope her children realise it before they become set in her ways.
    That will only happen if they're allowed to mix with people with different [more sensible] opinions.

Which, judging by Hopkins' comments, isn't going to happen.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    That will only happen if they're allowed to mix with people with different [more sensible] opinions.

[sarcasm]
    Children with the name "Maximillion" are unable to deviate from their parents craziness, you can tell that just from the name.
    [/sarcasm]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post

You've got it all wrong, the children's behaviour is based purely on their names - didn't you listen to the nice lady on the video? :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if I should post this but I keep thinking of:

In all seriousness though there are names I dont like, which make me cringe really but it never suggests anything about the child, it says more about the parents tbh rather than the child.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    I think one of the really sickening things was that she kept referring back to class - lady, you have no class!

Thank Post
    meh ive got a royal name so im sorted for life!

on a serious note, im not sure what planet shes on, kids wont care where others come from or how they are named as they just want to play games.

its as we get older we form opinions on cultures, areas etc..

Thank Post
    I think working in Education it is hard not think of THAT child with the name but to say no they can't play with your child as they won't have done their home work is just so wrong. Loved the pointing out of the hypocrisy and the blank look on her face when they read out the list of well educated Tylers. There's only one Katie that pops into my head when I hear the name so I won't be allowing my children to play with her.

More annoying is why is she writing a column and why is she being brought on to TV. She is a total non entity!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    More annoying is why is she writing a column and why is she being brought on to TV. She is a total non entity!
    controversy. that is all.

Thank Post
    It has to be said that when I was teaching, any child named 'Jack' was almost invariably trouble - disruptive, rude, lazy etc. That is not to say that the Connors and Marks and Pauls were any BETTER just that proportionally, anyone named 'Jack' in any of my classes was always trouble. If there were 3 Jacks in a class, at least 2 of them would be in detention regularly.

I have issues with weird names - WHATEVER a person names their child is largely selfish as the child has no say in their name and it is based solely on the preferences of the parent. Same with pets - my cat is called Enzo because I thought it was cool. As a cat he doesn't much give a hoot - I don't expect he even knows that the 'Enzo' sound that comes out of my mouth refers to his name as I don't imagine Cats have a concept like 'Names' - they identify each other by scent. I was called Alexandra because my mum was in the Queen Alexandra Royal Army Nursing Corps. I had no say in my name and have been plagued by gender confusion issues ever since as people generally refuse to call me anything other than 'Alex' despite my best efforts. I actually prefer to be known by my unique Avatar name as I chose this for myself. Then there are the people that take a 'standard' name and spell it strangely in an effort to be 'original' therefore guaranteeing that your poor hard-done-by child will never ever find a piece of personalised Tat in a gift shop with their name on it and whilst all the 'Emma's and 'Simon's of the world are parading their personalised pens/pencils/rubbers/bags/coasters/dinosaur moneyboxes/badges/fridge magnets/door signs at school, your child will be bitterly cursing the extra Es Is and Ys they have been saddled with. Little Kayden/Kaiden/Kaidon/Keyden/whatever with their unique name will go for a job interview in 20 years time where the manager interviewing them can't work out how to pronounce their name and they will be lumbered with the embarrassing dilemma of 'Do I correct my potential future boss?'.

On the flipside, language, names and spellings evolve - I don't know of a single person called 'Mercutio' today (although I'm certain there is one), and 'Faye' and 'Gaynor' and 'Gay' are largely out of favour so it is difficult to say exactly what constitutes a 'normal' name as the 'Top X' names change and evolve. A unique name is something that sets a child apart from others - so whilst a class might have 6 'Olivia's, there will only be one 'bWEFBHJswfjk' (pronounced Clare).

Personally, I think we should all do like the Egyptians - have a 'Childhood name' then an 'Adult Name' - the childhood name is picked for us but we get to pick our own Adult names.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,927 Posts
    Maybe it's me, but double-barreled surnames also sound extremely pretentious. Why can't parents just choose one?

Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    any child named 'Jack' was almost invariably trouble
    Liam's and Josh's are too usually.

Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I think we should all do like the Egyptians - have a 'Childhood name' then an 'Adult Name' - the childhood name is picked for us but we get to pick our own Adult names.
    Eric Schmidt suggested that too (although for different reasons than the Egyptians).

Young will have to change names to escape 'cyber past' warns Google's Eric Schmidt

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Maybe it's me, but double-barreled surnames also sound extremely pretentious. Why can't parents just choose one?

Agreed. Calum and Connor seem to be troublemakers too

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    So in saying that, and condemning everyone called Calum, Jack, and Connor, you have revealed yourself to be as prejudiced as that awful woman.
    You just said:
    "Calum and Connor seem to be troublemakers too" (and @Arthur -you are as bad)
    That is EXACTLY what that woman said about Tyler etc.

Calum is a perfectly reasonable Scottish name, Connor is Irish and Jack is a derivative of John, one of the oldest names around. There are many children with these names who are perfectly decent and well behaved in my experience of 12 years in school (I don't think you have that much experience do you @AMLightfoot) as well as having friends with children with these names.

As a parent, I take note of a child's name and yes, it does reveal something about the parents. But I would never judge a child on that. My children played with children from a wide variety of backgrounds - some poor, some feckless, some rich etc. Some were nice, some were nasty.
    As for odd names, the spelling thing is irritating, yes, but it is just because everyone wants to stand out these days.
    Weird names? Maybe those name are actually just foreign, and names YOU actually haven't heard of. It doesn't make them strange, just unusual.
    Last edited by witch; 5th July 2013 at 09:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,387 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Phil Schofields face throughout is a picture!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post

Eric Schmidt suggested that too (although for different reasons than the Egyptians).

Young will have to change names to escape 'cyber past' warns Google's Eric Schmidt
    OI! Its those Arthur's that are always up to no good, throwing swords in lakes polluting the waterways and such.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast