+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Google Glass - How It Feels (through Glass) in Fun Stuff; They do look cool. My only (and most looked forward to) worry, would be walking up to people wearing them ...

Thank Post
    They do look cool.

My only (and most looked forward to) worry, would be walking up to people wearing them and saying "glass google image *insert dodgy thing here*" ect.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Its interesting seeing the difference in comments here compared to a non-geek place (like the DailyMail site). There, they slag them off as 'sad' and 'what's the point?' and then somehow relate them to immigration...
    If "normal people" don't understand what the point of glass is, then either it needs to come with a demo that not only makes that clear and compelling, or it's going to become another Nexus Q. I have to say I've watched the demo and thought "clever, but a little bit creepy and doesn't really solve any problem that *I* actually have". It's cool tech but I can't see me getting one any time soon.

Thank Post
    just wondering, but has anyone applied for them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,763 Posts
    Are we going to start seeing these signs popping up everywhere if Google Glass proves popular?

Use of Google Glass already banned by Seattle diner « Neowin

I imagine there are going to be lots of people who won't want to be recorded by Glass-wearers.

The Google Glass feature no one is talking about

The Google Glass feature that (almost) no one is talking about is the experience – not of the user, but of everyone other than the user. A tweet by David Yee introduces it well:

There is a kid wearing Google Glasses at this restaurant which, until just now, used to be my favorite spot.
    The key experiential question of Google Glass isn’t what it’s like to wear them, it’s what it’s like to be around someone else who’s wearing them. I’ll give an easy example. Your one-on-one conversation with someone wearing Google Glass is likely to be annoying, because you’ll suspect that you don’t have their undivided attention. And you can’t comfortably ask them to take the glasses off (especially when, inevitably, the device is integrated into prescription lenses). Finally – here’s where the problems really start – you don’t know if they’re taking a video of you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,569 Times in 2,186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even better others are now shareing your life and image with Google of all places, the king of data mining. I can see it now, some tool with GooGles walks in and suddenly your phone chirps with a new message notification: "We have noticed that your shoes are dirty and there happens to be a privacy lawer - now an erchin - cleaning shoes a block away, meantion us - your new overloards - for a 5% discount. Google AdVision"
    Last edited by SYNACK; 9th March 2013 at 08:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Resistance is futile!

Stop The Cyborgs

Thank Post
    UK Government to outlaw Google Glass for drivers « Stuff

The Department for Transport has acted to ban drivers from using Google Glass – even before Google's smart eyewear launches to the general public.

Stuff has learned that the government department is concerned about the potential for distraction that could result from using Google Glass while driving, and has taken pre-emptive action ahead of Google's much trailed new hardware release, scheduled for 2014.

A Department for Transport (DfT) spokesperson told Stuff: "We are aware of the impending rollout of Google Glass and are in discussion with the Police to ensure that individuals do not use this technology while driving. It is important that drivers give their full attention to the road when they are behind the wheel and do not behave in a way that stops them from observing what is happening on the road."

The spokesman added: "A range of offences and penalties already exist to tackle those drivers who do not pay proper attention to the road including careless driving which will become a fixed penalty offence later this year."
    How will the police be able to tell you're wearing Google Glasses when you are driving down the motorway at 90mph 70mph?

Thank Post
    Mercedes is testing Google Glass integration, and it actually works « Wired

We've already established that cars are the killer app for Google Glass. And Mercedes agrees. The German automaker’s R&D center snagged two pairs of Google’s goggles as soon as they became available — recognizing the potential — and started hacking away.

The first application is a navigation program that allows you to enter an address through Google Glass, get in your car, plug in your phone, and then the destination is transferred to the in-dash navigation system. Once you've arrived near the restaurant/bar/nightclub/BBQ joint and unplug your phone, the system re-transfers the data back to Glass to complete the journey. And based on hands-on time, it works. But the way it works is … a little rough.

Google doesn't offer Glass support for the iPhone. Yet. And the Mercedes “Digital DriveStyle App” doesn't work with Android. Yet. (Jungwirth tells WIRED that iOS is the dominant platform for Mercedes owners). So in order for the destination information to be sent from the car to Glass, Mercedes connects to its own cloud server between the iPhone and the embedded infotainment system. Google Glass handles the communication between the two, and the trigger to communicate is the disconnection of the iPhone from the car. When that happens, it contacts the server, connects to Glass, and downloads the destination information.

Jungwirth is quick to point out that this elaborate dance of connections is just a proof of concept.

“This is, perhaps, not how we will accomplish it when we launch it as a product,” Jungwirth told WIRED. “As we are in talks with Google about making a direct connection to Glass work, but it is how our prototype works today.”

Jungwirth makes it clear that Mercedes has every intention of integrating some form of Google Glass functionality into its future products. And by the time Glass goes into production in the next year, Mercedes may have something to offer its customers. In the meantime, Jungwirth says that Android integration for Mercedes vehicles is coming in 2014.

Thank Post
    Google reportedly ramping up Glass production, prepping invite system for broader rollout « Engadget

There's still no firm word on a broader consumer launch, but it looks like Google is now gearing up for what could be the biggest expansion of its Glass Explorer program to date. According to the Financial Times, the company is planning a "substantial" increase in production ahead of the holidays, which could put the wearable computer in the hands (and on the heads) of "tens of thousands" of more users over the coming months. At least some of them will reportedly be able to buy the device through an invite system, which the FT's sources likened to Gmail back in its beta days. Those sources apparently had few other details to share, though, including any indication of a change to that $1,500 price tag.

Thank Post
    Don't wear Google Glass in a cinema!

AMC movie theater calls FBI to arrest a Google Glass user

I went to AMC (Easton Mall, Columbus, OH) to watch a movie with my wife (non- Google Glass user). It is the theater we go to every week, so it has probably been the third time I’ve been there wearing Google Glass, and the AMC employees (guy tearing tickets at the entrance, girl at the concession stand) have asked me about Glass in the past and I have told them how awesome Glass is with every occasion.

Because I don’t want Glass to distract me during the movie, I turn them off (but since my prescription lenses are on the frame, I still wear them). About an hour into the movie (Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit), a guy comes near my seat, shoves a badge that had some sort of a shield on it, yanks the Google Glass off my face and says “follow me outside immediately”. It was quite embarrassing and outside of the theater there were about 5-10 cops and mall cops. Since I didn’t catch his name in the dark of the theater, I asked to see his badge again and I asked what was the problem and I asked for my Glass back. The response was “you see all these cops you know we are legit, we are with the ‘federal service’ and you have been caught illegally taping the movie”.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Lucky he wasn't using sending a text during the trailers.

Thank Post
    Google's new Titanium frames for Glass look nice!

Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Lucky he wasn't using sending a text during the trailers.
    That's crazy!
    Last edited by Arthur; 28th January 2014 at 08:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    they need to do an attachment for standard spectacles
    This. I wonder if it would be possible to project onto existing lenses instead of that little glass block...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    This. I wonder if it would be possible to project onto existing lenses instead of that little glass block...
    Sounds like a possible future development, the only issue is that Google control the optics when using the block attached to the device, if different lenses are orientated differently it may skew the display

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    I wonder what the law and driving with them on would be like, no use like mobile phones? I can imagine a screen popping up whilst driving to be very distracting.
    BBC News - Google Glass driver Abadie has case dropped

Just one case though...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast