+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Lottery: What would you have won? in Fun Stuff; Yes possibly, because the winnings for 3 are fixed...

Thank Post
    Yes possibly, because the winnings for 3 are fixed

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Its a common sequence of numbers (lots of people playing them) so it probably is right. 1,2,3,4,5,6 will get you about 10,000 if they all came up
    When I was playing, I spotted that a run of numbers was just as likely to come up as anything else. However, if you pick a run of numbers away from 1-6 or similar, you could boost your chances of getting a big payout. Further research showed that people pick birthdates in their "random" selection; so, I went with 37-42 for quite a while. Never did get the big win (one 4 ball)...

I also discovered that people tend not to pick "teens" when giving a list of "random" numbers. Who knew?

Thank Post
    Apparently I have "lost" 302.3...which would have cost me 1500...so as I see it I am up 1500.

I once had a very heated "discussion" with a work colleague who was convinced that playing the same numbers made a win more likely due to the "laws" of probability!

[edit] I just tried 1,2,3,4,5,6 and it seems that I would have won almost exactly the same for my 1500 [/edit]
    Last edited by CESIL; 8th January 2013 at 09:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    Apparently I have "lost" 302.3...which would have cost me 1500...so as I see it I am up 1500.

I once had a very heated "discussion" with a work colleague who was convinced that playing the same numbers made a win more likely due to the "laws" of probability!
    I can sort of see how someone might think that even if it is not correct. I guess his logic goes assuming you do enough roles/draws that every number combination appears once then if you have a fixed number you would overtime win 100%. But if you pick a random number each time then you could even after every number combination has appeared once still have never won.

If you simplify it down to dice. If you pick the 2nd number (your fixed ticket) and role 1 dice the chance to match is 1 in 6. If you role two dice to represent random number and random ticket the chance to match is 1 in 36.

EDIT: Just released I wrote the wrong odds! random V random should be a matching pair so 1 in 6. But you have the tiny possibility of drawing every number combination and not getting a match. So the odds are the same but fixed numbers each week have a tiny advantage.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 8th January 2013 at 10:52 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12