+ Post New Thread
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, This is Me.ga!! in Fun Stuff; Didn't think it would take too long for Mr Dotcom himself to bounce back. BBC News - Kim Dotcom reveals ...

Thank Post

This is Me.ga!!

Didn't think it would take too long for Mr Dotcom himself to bounce back.

BBC News - Kim Dotcom reveals Mega to replace Megaupload file-sharing site

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not surprising, fat bar steward. Hopefully he has a heart condition that nearly kills him, purely so we can see him try and goad Death in the same way he does his users and several governments/judicial systems.

Thank Post
    Not a fan then?? I thought the service was actually very good. I was disappointed to see it closed, I didn't use it for piracy but purely for storing files where i could get at them quickly. Even the slow download option was quicker than the slow options offered by other file hosters.

It's the same old thing though, it only takes a minority to spoil it for the majority.

I welcome the return of Me.ga

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not a fan of him no. I wanted to punch his lights out 10 years ago and still want to now. It's hard to trust a known cheating criminal.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    I suppose this was inevitable...

Kim Dotcom's new Mega site barred by Gabon
    The government of Gabon has thrown a wrench in internet tycoon Kim Dotcom's plans to launch a new version of his Megaupload file-sharing site by suspending his domain name registration in that country, citing intellectual property concerns.

Dotcom had planned to call his new site Ω (O) auf Twitter, using Gabon's .ga top-level domain to complete its memorable URL. But according to a report by AFP, on Tuesday Gabon Communications Minister Blaise Louembe announced that he had instructed his department to suspend Dotcom's site immediately, citing a need to "fight cyber crime effectively."

"Gabon cannot serve as a platform or screen for committing acts aimed at violating copyrights, nor be used by unscrupulous people," the minister reportedly said. (Source)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeightonJames View Post
    I welcome the return of Me.ga Mega.co.nz
    It's back!

Mega Launches: Brilliantly Secure, But Not Anonymous / Mega Goes Down As 250,000 Users Sign Up

I managed to create an account, but can't actually upload anything.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    *** edited to remove the rant, pointless wasting the effort ***

Please don't advocate the use of this site here, it's intent is for those with something to hide.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 20th January 2013 at 05:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I understand his point in creating it, but at the same time the guy has a giant bullseye on his back, so would you really want to use the service for your own data? I wouldn't. Plus, I suspect that his bravado here is going to be his undoing, as he seems to think this new service will be police-proof, but it will still be presenting listings to the end user, and therefore the server will be producing the html listings with the filenames in - giving law enforcement an in...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    it's intent is for those with something to hide.
    That's the same argument governments use when trying to pass new laws to 'protect' the public and could be said about encryption software itself! Do people only use TrueCrypt and BitLocker when they have something to hide? Of course not. There are also lots of services where the encryption is performed client-side (Spideroak, CrashPlan, Backblaze, Tarsnap, Wuala). Are they bad too?

Some people did use MegaUpload for legitimate purposes (although admittedly they were probably in the minority).

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    would you really want to use the service for your own data? I wouldn't.
    That applies to any website that hosts your data (as you know). You should always have a backup since the files could disappear at any moment (even with Dropbox, iCloud, SkyDrive and Gmail).

Quote Originally Posted by MEGA
    7. You must maintain copies of all data stored by you on our service. We do not make any guarantees that there will be no loss of data or the services will be bug free. You are completely responsible to remove all data prior to termination of services.

8. Our service may automatically delete a piece of data you upload or give someone else access to where it determines that that data is an exact duplicate of original data already on our service. In that case, you will access that original data. (Source)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropbox
    You, and not Dropbox, are responsible for maintaining and protecting all of your stuff. Dropbox will not be liable for any loss or corruption of your stuff, or for any costs or expenses associated with backing up or restoring any of your stuff. (Source)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyDrive
    Microsoft reserves the right, at its sole discretion, and without any obligation to do so, to review and remove user-created services and content at will and without notice, and delete content and accounts. Microsoft reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to ban participants or terminate access to services. (Source)
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    he seems to think this new service will be police-proof
    He does have plausible deniability this time and Mega will remove copyright infringing files according to the website.

At the very least, if it forces Dropbox and Co. to lower their prices and/or increase the amount of storage free users get, that can only be a good thing?

Disclaimer. I don't plan on giving him any of my money.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not a fan of him no. I wanted to punch his lights out 10 years ago and still want to now. It's hard to trust a known cheating criminal.
    I'm guessing you don't interact with your government or any large company then, they just get away with it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Woah - there's a difference here.

Some of those others are commercial enterprises. Kim "Dotcom" is a felon, cheat and fraud.
    If you feel safe then... well, good luck with that.

And @SYNACK - the reason I wanted to punch his lights out was for cheating and frauding his way around the Internet 15-16 years ago, using his money to buy what he didn't have the talent to do himself. He was a convicted felon even then. If the trust issues aren't apparent now....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: This is Me.ga!!

Woah - there's a difference here.

Some of those others are commercial enterprises. Kim "Dotcom" is a felon, cheat and fraud.
    If you feel safe then... well, good luck with that.

And @SYNACK - the reason I wanted to punch his lights out was for cheating and frauding his way around the Internet 15-16 years ago, using his money to buy what he didn't have the talent to do himself. He was a convicted felon even then. If the trust issues aren't apparent now....
    I never said anything about feeling safe just that he is only one of many evils, he just happens to be acting against some of the other evils, in a sad way this is as close to balance as we can expect in todays society.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 21st January 2013 at 08:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    True enough. With the other evils, you do have some protection as they have legal obligations.

Thank Post
    Interesting article on the encryption use by Mega...

MegaFail Fail Overflow

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread