+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, What planet is this guy on? cutting pensions in Fun Stuff; BBC News - Lord Bichard: Retired people could work for pensions Should be focusing on the people who actively try ...

Thank Post

What planet is this guy on? cutting pensions

BBC News - Lord Bichard: Retired people could work for pensions

Should be focusing on the people who actively try avoid getting jobs rather than those who have contributed there whole working life to the government only to be told they are now a "burden"

I'm worried now for my own future because if people like this get there own way there will probably be enforced euthanasia for people deemed too old to pay these idiots wages by the time im retiring

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Whilst I dont agree with this, there is a problem. There are two people in work for every one drawing a pension and currently 1 in 5 people under 30 will make it to 100. This means a huge amount of money paid out in pensions - the country is going to be hard pressed to afford it.
    I think that the government pension scheme needs to attract the very best in investment managers because the more money they can make for the state pension pot the better

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,002 Times in 1,376 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's a shame this;

Retired people should be encouraged to do community work such as caring for the "very old" or face losing some of their pension, a peer has suggested.
    wasn't followed by "He was promptly punched in the face."

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,003 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Retired people should be encouraged to do community work such as caring for the "very old"
    Bit like the blind leading the blind, surely?

Yeah, he's an idiot, spouting ideas completely disconnected from reality. Bet he fits right in at the House of Lords.

He acknowledged it would be difficult for politicians to sell to the public, but added: "So was tuition fees."
    And look how you've abused that system now.

Thank Post
    "Retired people should be encouraged to do community work such as caring for the "very old" or face losing some of their pension, a peer has suggested."

Let's face it, this guy's the chairman of the national after-school film club and a life-long civil servant. He may be a peer, but his thoughts read like pie-in-the-sky brain-farts.

However, if for instance retirees were offered genuine rewards such as food and energy bill credits in exchange for community work, I think that would be a fair deal. It would certainly have to be voluntary, but not everyone who retires actually wants to stop, so surely it's better they have a choice in the matter rather than being consigned to the social/economic scrapheap.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy_506 View Post
    However, if for instance retirees were offered genuine rewards such as food and energy bill credits in exchange for community work, I think that would be a fair deal.
    IANAL, but I don't think you can refuse to feed someone unless they do "voluntary" work.

[Quote marks used as it's hardly voluntary if the alternative is to starve.]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    IANAL, but I don't think you can refuse to feed someone unless they do "voluntary" work.

[Quote marks used as it's hardly voluntary if the alternative is to starve.]
    Lol. We're not quite at the stage of lining up for bowls of rice from the back of a truck under the rule of a totalitarian government yet though. Retirees would still be able to use their own money wouldn't they. It wouldn't be refusing to feed them, or cutting off water/gas/electricity. It would be some sort of scheme on offer where retirees who CHOOSE to continue to contribute to society can do so, and in turn they'll be rewarded. If you retire and choose to just stop completely (or do your own thing) that's still your right, you just won't get any more perks than a standard pension - which as we all know is too low anyway and will continue to decrease due to increases in population and life-expectancy as Witch mentioned above.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Lol. We're not quite at the stage of lining up for bowls of rice from the back of a truck under the rule of a totalitarian government yet though.
    Soon...

Thank Post
    It wouldn't be refusing to feed them, or cutting off water/gas/electricity.
    Oh wouldn't it? Like it isn't the same as cutting off someone's benefits if they don't take unpaid work stacking shelves for the MegaRich supermarkets? This has the benefit of removing REAL jobs, with employment protection at the same time?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Like it isn't the same as cutting off someone's benefits if they don't take unpaid work stacking shelves for the MegaRich supermarkets?
    Happened to me... It's not cool.

Plus, they wouldn't let me slack off. Even though I was waiting for September; when I was supposed to start work. [It was late August.]

IIRC, the also sent someone on one of those pathetic courses who was due to start work the next week.

Thank Post
    ARGHHHHHHHHH this country is going to the dogs. We have a bunch of useless wasters whose sole aim in life is to 'get preggers and get a flat on the social', a state pension that cannot cover even the most basic of living expenses and human rights, a health service so mired in red tape and bureaucracy that people wait months for vital appointments, cannot get access to their GP, die in filthy, squalid conditions of neglect, abuse or incompetance, a police force so similarly mired, that they don't even have an officer to send when a person actually stands at their window WATCHING a group of lads breaking into cars, an education system that is out of date with the needs of todays society... need I go on?

A person works their whole life, paying tax and national insurance, then the government wants them to be forced to work? Are they having a laugh? If a person was still capable of working they would be! Perhaps this peer also has plans to address the discrimination against older applicants?

We have some in government that think that older people should 'step down' from jobs to allow young people to advance, and we have others that think the elderly should work until they die. No, what they WANT is for people to work their whole lives, paying extortionate taxes, then, when they are old, they should step down from the important jobs and give them up to the young, then go into a life of menial servitude doing menial tasks. No doubt they'd still have to pay tax on their meagre earnings!

Perhaps the government ought to get its own house in order before it starts holding people to ransom.

Or bring back the workhouse. All these spongers and wasters get to live in a large community where they are fed, housed and clothed to basic standards and where there is mandatory childcare, and where they must work or obtain marketable skills (practical, important jobs like plumbing, electric work, metalwork etc). If they then get a job 'outside' they can leave. Keep the men and women separate too - that should cut down on the number of girls whining about how they can't work because they have 10/15/20 kids to look after! FTR, before the flamers stoke up, this idea is no more ludicrous than forcing elderly people to look after other elderly people to earn enough credits to heat their homes now is it? It is, of course, an extreme example, but are we not, after all, discussing extreme and inappropriate suggestions?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    ARGHHHHHHHHH this country is going to the dogs. We have a bunch of useless wasters whose sole aim in life is to 'get preggers and get a flat on the social', a state pension that cannot cover even the most basic of living expenses and human rights, a health service so mired in red tape and bureaucracy that people wait months for vital appointments, cannot get access to their GP, die in filthy, squalid conditions of neglect, abuse or incompetance, a police force so similarly mired, that they don't even have an officer to send when a person actually stands at their window WATCHING a group of lads breaking into cars, an education system that is out of date with the needs of todays society... need I go on?

A person works their whole life, paying tax and national insurance, then the government wants them to be forced to work? Are they having a laugh? If a person was still capable of working they would be! Perhaps this peer also has plans to address the discrimination against older applicants?

We have some in government that think that older people should 'step down' from jobs to allow young people to advance, and we have others that think the elderly should work until they die. No, what they WANT is for people to work their whole lives, paying extortionate taxes, then, when they are old, they should step down from the important jobs and give them up to the young, then go into a life of menial servitude doing menial tasks. No doubt they'd still have to pay tax on their meagre earnings!

Perhaps the government ought to get its own house in order before it starts holding people to ransom.

Or bring back the workhouse. All these spongers and wasters get to live in a large community where they are fed, housed and clothed to basic standards and where there is mandatory childcare, and where they must work or obtain marketable skills (practical, important jobs like plumbing, electric work, metalwork etc). If they then get a job 'outside' they can leave. Keep the men and women separate too - that should cut down on the number of girls whining about how they can't work because they have 10/15/20 kids to look after! FTR, before the flamers stoke up, this idea is no more ludicrous than forcing elderly people to look after other elderly people to earn enough credits to heat their homes now is it? It is, of course, an extreme example, but are we not, after all, discussing extreme and inappropriate suggestions?

I'm not gonna flame that! That's a more sensible idea than anything the government has come up with!

And now, after this, I retire from this thread as the whole idea of what this Tory Peer is saying is enough to make my blood boil and my eyes pop out of my head. Doubless some toryboy/girl will come on to defend his idea....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    FTR, before the flamers stoke up, this idea is no more ludicrous than forcing elderly people to look after other elderly people to earn enough credits to heat their homes now is it?
    Ludicrous?! I was about to vote for you to become PM based on that alone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    I'm not gonna flame that! That's a more sensible idea than anything the government has come up with!

And now, after this, I retire from this thread as the whole idea of what this Tory Peer is saying is enough to make my blood boil and my eyes pop out of my head. Doubless some toryboy/girl will come on to defend his idea....

He's a labor peer...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    He's a labor peer...
    Stupid is stupid.

It isn't aligned with one side or the other.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast