+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Tasered for being blind in Fun Stuff; Well almost: BBC News - Police use Taser on blind man after stick mistaken for sword That is just insane....

Thank Post

Tasered for being blind

Thank Post
    Latest Lancashire Police training aide has been leaked already:

Blind-Sword.jpg

Thank Post
    Good job the police don't carry guns, otherwise people who fail to stop/hear could end up dead... oh wait there...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great - now I know what my costume is going to be on Saturday October 20th for the march in London.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Good job the police don't carry guns, otherwise people who fail to stop/hear could end up dead... oh wait there...
    Or don't speak english and don't understand? Oh... wait...

What about deaf people that use the internationally recognised gesture for deafness that get thrown in jail for using 'foul hand gestures' and accused of being drunk and disorderly? Oh... wait....

Tasing an innocent person is disgusting! I've lost count of the number of stories I've seen in the news of people killed by taser... The officer should be dismissed from his post and forced to submit a public apology admitting culpability (and stupidity!).
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 17th October 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,942 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get it. Last I checked, swords were about an inch wide. Not a skinny white stick...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 823 Posts
    I thought the police were only allowed to use reasonable force? In which case, surely the officer in question should be arrested and charged himself. I don't see how shocking a 60+ year old man who hasn't even acknowledged you (no doubt because he had no reason to believe the police were after him!) let alone resisted arrest is reasonable force.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No doubt "lessons will be learned"...

Thank Post
    My dark sense of humour made me spit my tea all over my twin screens hearing this. Im off to hell in a handbasket...

Thank Post
    Happened in the 70's when I lived in Texas. Now of course, back then, Tasers hadn't been invented. The cops relied on lead slugs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I don't get it. Last I checked, swords were about an inch wide. Not a skinny white stick...
    Could have been a Rapier...

Thank Post
    He was also told to stop by the police officer and if they are armed they have to announce that fact, but ignored it, he is probably not blind more partially sighted, we know how the press like to beef up a story.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    He was also told to stop by the police officer and if they are armed they have to announce that fact, but ignored it, he is probably not blind more partially sighted, we know how the press like to beef up a story.
    Kinda irrelevant. Firing is the last thing the officer should do, after all other options have been exhausted. Shooting someone from BEHIND is not acceptable, when that person is not showing any aggressive behaviour.

Using a taser is supposed to be used in place of lethal force - that is what they were introduced saying.

A man walking down a pavement with a white stick sloping to the pavement? Not showing any aggression, no-one in immediate danger etc... Not someone who should be tased.
    Last edited by localzuk; 17th October 2012 at 03:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Or don't speak english and don't understand? Oh... wait...

What about deaf people that use the internationally recognised gesture for deafness that get thrown in jail for using 'foul hand gestures' and accused of being drunk and disorderly? Oh... wait....

Tasing an innocent person is disgusting! I've lost count of the number of stories I've seen in the news of people killed by taser... The officer should be dismissed from his post and forced to submit a public apology admitting culpability (and stupidity!).
    Do you have a source for these numbers?

It's not often I play Devil's Advocate, but here goes....

"Since Tasers were introduced in 2004 three people – including Hulmes and Burns – have died after their deployment. Amnesty International believes Tasers are a legitimate option for highly trained police officers in very limited situations." - Taken from here - Taser-related deaths raise concerns over 'non-lethal' police options | World news | The Guardian

That is from August 2011, and suggests that deaths aren't as common as you would like to think. Agreed that in the US figures seem to be in their hundreds, but we wouldn't read about them so much in Blighty!

The sensationalism behind what you posted was unusual, and I had come to expect a more rounded view of things from you.

I believe a public apology from the policeman is necessary, but the pilloring of him, and others, is not really acceptable when they are trying to do their job.

I presume those amongst us who have never made a mistake would now like to come forward with their arguments???

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Do you have a source for these numbers?

It's not often I play Devil's Advocate, but here goes....

"Since Tasers were introduced in 2004 three people – including Hulmes and Burns – have died after their deployment. Amnesty International believes Tasers are a legitimate option for highly trained police officers in very limited situations." - Taken from here - Taser-related deaths raise concerns over 'non-lethal' police options | World news | The Guardian

That is from August 2011, and suggests that deaths aren't as common as you would like to think. Agreed that in the US figures seem to be in their hundreds, but we wouldn't read about them so much in Blighty!

The sensationalism behind what you posted was unusual, and I had come to expect a more rounded view of things from you.

I believe a public apology from the policeman is necessary, but the pilloring of him, and others, is not really acceptable when they are trying to do their job.

I presume those amongst us who have never made a mistake would now like to come forward with their arguments???
    Sorry but that's bull****! Tasers ARE lethal. Amnesty International have also said hundreds of people have died from tasers.

"Since 2001, more than 500 people have died following Taser stuns according to Amnesty International, which said in February that stricter guidelines for Taser use were "imperative." But in only a few dozen cases, medical examiners have ruled that the Taser contributed to the death. In some cases, other factors, such as drug use and prior medical conditions, also played roles." - Heart study finds Tasers may cause deaths

Thing is, 8 deaths as a direct result. Many hundreds from indirect causes (ie. the taser causing other things to get worse or existing conditons etc...).

As I said above, Taser's were introduced as a direct replacement for lethal force weapons (ie. guns). So, the requirements for their discharge should be the same as with using guns.

If I make a mistake, I won't kill someone. If they do, they can. That man has already had strokes, this sort of shock can cause another.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast