+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Latest XKCD - So True, as always in Fun Stuff; xkcd: Microsoft microsoft.png Facebook, Apple, and Google all got away with their monopolist power grabs because they don't have any ...
  1. #1

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,989
    Thank Post
    851
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    764

    Latest XKCD - So True, as always

    xkcd: Microsoft



    Facebook, Apple, and Google all got away with their monopolist power grabs because they don't have any 'S's in their names for critics to snarkily replace with '$'s.

  2. #2

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,839
    Thank Post
    569
    Thanked 993 Times in 765 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    460
    The sooner someone splits Apple up the better, that's for sure.

  3. #3

    Jawloms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    809
    Thank Post
    175
    Thanked 104 Times in 72 Posts
    Rep Power
    185
    I've never understood how come Microsoft got in soooo much trouble for bundling IE with Windows, yet on the iPad have (through work, I didn't choose it) I have installed Chrome but every link I click on opens in Safari. At least with Windows you can (and could always!!) change the default browser.

  4. #4


    AMLightfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hampshire, England
    Posts
    2,087
    Thank Post
    361
    Thanked 600 Times in 383 Posts
    Rep Power
    246
    Apple? I immediately thought of Google when I saw this comic...

    Anyone watching Continuum? LOVE that show. But every time I watch it, I see the Google logo instead of 'Sadtech'...
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 9th October 2012 at 12:26 PM.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Worthing, West Sussex
    Posts
    860
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 73 Times in 68 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    xkcd: Microsoft


    Facebook, Apple, and Google all got away with their monopolist power grabs because they don't have any 'S's in their names for critics to snarkily replace with '$'s.
    But the do all have e's we can use like this:

    FAC£BOOK, APPL£ and GOOGL£ :-) lol

    Only works in caps though...
    Last edited by crc-ict; 9th October 2012 at 12:37 PM.

  6. #6

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,989
    Thank Post
    851
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Anyone watching Continuum? LOVE that show. But every time I watch it, I see the Google logo instead of 'Sadtech'...
    Love Continuum, great show and so waiting for it to come back on. What bits are you seeing the Google logo on, the 'unbranded' tablet they use in the police station is an Acer W501 and most of the other stuff is full PCs.

    They have managed to do time travel quite well and I love the way they have left it for their break, it does beg for more episodes and apparently it is looking quite good for a second season.

  7. #7


    AMLightfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hampshire, England
    Posts
    2,087
    Thank Post
    361
    Thanked 600 Times in 383 Posts
    Rep Power
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Love Continuum, great show and so waiting for it to come back on. What bits are you seeing the Google logo on, the 'unbranded' tablet they use in the police station is an Acer W501 and most of the other stuff is full PCs.

    They have managed to do time travel quite well and I love the way they have left it for their break, it does beg for more episodes and apparently it is looking quite good for a second season.
    LOL Not literally seeing the Google logo, but mentally seeing it on the Sadtech tower, on the embedded contact lens/brain implant technology. Google glasses are the first phase of their plan to subvert humanity - it won't be long before they are funding research into neural interfaces....

    I have some spare foil if anyone wants to join my tin-hat brigade... ;-)

    I like the time travel aspect, but surely if they are ascribing to the single timeline theory, then the time travel paradox applies here where her world is the way it is BECAUSE of the time travel? They haven't given indications that they are pursuing the alternate reality or splintered timeline theories...
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 9th October 2012 at 02:09 PM.

  8. #8

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,989
    Thank Post
    851
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    LOL Not literally seeing the Google logo, but mentally seeing it on the Sadtech tower, on the embedded contact lens/brain implant technology. Google glasses are the first phase of their plan to subvert humanity - it won't be long before they are funding research into neural interfaces....

    I have some spare foil if anyone wants to join my tin-hat brigade... ;-)
    Already packing the foil regarding Google but thanks for the offer. It is rather prescient regarding the consequences of bending over to every corporate 'Joe' that comes along. Especially relevant in the US area given their government structure and their actions pressuring other governments to support their own corrupt laws. 150 years copywrite and software patents anyone.

  9. #9

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    8,854
    Thank Post
    588
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I like the time travel aspect, but surely if they are ascribing to the single timeline theory, then the time travel paradox applies here where her world is the way it is BECAUSE of the time travel?
    Erm... Seven.

    Wait, no, it's eight. Definately eight.


    No, but seriously, I have no idea what you're on about. But it sounds like a stable loop.
    Last edited by X-13; 9th October 2012 at 02:19 PM.

  10. #10

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,989
    Thank Post
    851
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I like the time travel aspect, but surely if they are ascribing to the single timeline theory, then the time travel paradox applies here where her world is the way it is BECAUSE of the time travel? They haven't given indications that they are pursuing the alternate reality or splintered timeline theories...
    Not sure where you are up to (hehe - time travel type issue) but they do splinter the timeline a bit. Trying my best not to mess with it for you.

  11. #11


    AMLightfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hampshire, England
    Posts
    2,087
    Thank Post
    361
    Thanked 600 Times in 383 Posts
    Rep Power
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Not sure where you are up to (hehe - time travel type issue) but they do splinter the timeline a bit. Trying my best not to mess with it for you.
    I've only seen 2 episodes as I was hoping to extend my enjoyment - LeBoyfriend and I have a nasty habit of 'acquiring' an entire season of a new show we love only to end up watching the whole thing in a week and be left with nothing to watch... I've just spent the last few days in a lust-fuelled stupor over having watched back-to-back episodes of 'The Vampire Diaries'. *Sigh* I love Ian Somerhalder. Sometimes, I pause the episode just to enjoy looking at him... But I digress. It now means that we have to wait until Season 4 is available for us to acquire. Which won't be for AGES.

    So I'm taking my time with Continuum.

    But don't worry about spoiling it for me - I hate surprises and always look up plot synopsises for episodes I haven't seen yet.
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 9th October 2012 at 04:14 PM.

  12. #12

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,989
    Thank Post
    851
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I've only seen 2 episodes as I was hoping to extend my enjoyment - LeBoyfriend and I have a nasty habit of 'acquiring' an entire season of a new show we love only to end up watching the whole thing in a week and be left with nothing to watch... I've just spent the last few days in a lust-fuelled stupor over having watched back-to-back episodes of 'The Vampire Diaries'. *Sigh* I love Ian Somerhalder. Sometimes, I just pause the episode just to enjoy looking at him... But I digress. It now means that we have to wait until Season 4 is available for us to acquire. Which won't be for AGES.

    So I'm taking my time with Continuum.

    But don't worry about spoiling it for me - I hate surprises and always look up plot synopsises for episodes I haven't seen yet.
    Likewise with the acquisition, at any rate it does keep getting better the whole way through and is well worth watching, unfortunately S1 only seems to go up to ep 10 which is far too few, I hope that S2 is much longer.

    I lucked out with Community, I missed it for the first two seasons then was able to watch two and a bit seasons in one go, best day ever, funniest show I have seen in quite some time.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 9th October 2012 at 03:59 PM.

  13. #13


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawloms View Post
    I've never understood how come Microsoft got in soooo much trouble for bundling IE with Windows, yet on the iPad have (through work, I didn't choose it) I have installed Chrome but every link I click on opens in Safari. At least with Windows you can (and could always!!) change the default browser.
    There was a complaint to the EU because it was felt that microsoft were leveraging their 95% monopoly in the dekstop market to make sure IE was the dominant browser. In response MS opted to allow users to choose their default browser. Apple can't be accused of leveraging their monopoly because they don't have one - there are more android devices than iOS.

    What is a more interesting question is whether MS can afford to be more forceful nowadays seeing as they have lost such a large marketshare to mobile devices - they no longer hold a monopoly either.

  14. #14

    Jawloms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    809
    Thank Post
    175
    Thanked 104 Times in 72 Posts
    Rep Power
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    There was a complaint to the EU because it was felt that microsoft were leveraging their 95% monopoly in the dekstop market to make sure IE was the dominant browser. In response MS opted to allow users to choose their default browser. Apple can't be accused of leveraging their monopoly because they don't have one - there are more android devices than iOS.

    What is a more interesting question is whether MS can afford to be more forceful nowadays seeing as they have lost such a large marketshare to mobile devices - they no longer hold a monopoly either.
    I get the reasoning behind MS being told to change it, I don't get why it wasn't imposed on everyone (by this I mean Apple as I don't see you could impose it on free OSs) so it doesn't happen again, otherwise it's just leaving the door open for more lawsuits further down the line. Please Apple - let me have Chrome as my default!

  15. #15


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawloms View Post
    I get the reasoning behind MS being told to change it, I don't get why it wasn't imposed on everyone (by this I mean Apple as I don't see you could impose it on free OSs) so it doesn't happen again, otherwise it's just leaving the door open for more lawsuits further down the line. Please Apple - let me have Chrome as my default!
    It's just because they don't have a monolpoly like MS used to have. The (basic) monopoly rules are that you are not allowed to use a monopoly to gain a monopoly in another area. The key thing is that you have to have a monopoly in the first place and this is why no one has ever taken apple to task over it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28th January 2013, 07:25 PM
  2. [SIMS] Ahhh Capita, golden advice as always
    By MattHarwood in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 29th May 2012, 09:45 AM
  3. So true... !
    By elsiegee40 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd July 2011, 03:03 PM
  4. [Video] The Truth about Printers - Hilarious and so true
    By SYNACK in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28th March 2009, 03:06 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •