Laptop says it's connected but pages do not open
We have 3 classrooms each with 4 x RM Mobile One laptops connected to a wireless internet connection.
Everything has worked well for a year.
About 3 weeks ago 2 of the laptops stopped opening internet pages.
I checked various settings and did a system restore on both. This fixed one of the laptops. I'm not sure what exactly fixed it.
The other laptop says it's connected and that the connection is excellent, but no pages open.
Hardwired and wireless have the same problem.
I've checked the proxy settings, pinged and did a nslookup.
The nslookup did not find the server at first.
The message was Can't find server name, unknown server.
When I gave permission for the nslookup it then found the server, but pages still do not open.
An RM man and a LA man have both got me to check things over the phone, but pages still do not open.
There might be a simple fix but I cannot find it, after 2 weeks of trying. :mad: