+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Home Built 'Smoothwall' Box Setup/working Problems. in Technical; As some or you know I have been building at home in my spare time a automatic backup system for ...
    Thank Post

Home Built 'Smoothwall' Box Setup/working Problems.

As some or you know I have been building at home in my spare time a automatic backup system for my daughters laptop when she goes to uni next month (her laptop will send a daily backup via my fixed public IP, via a nonNATing router and a smoothwal box DMZ to my backup server).
    Home NAS With Raid1
    http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networ...nternet-2.html

I have not used a DMZ before and need help please.!

On the Smoothwall EXP3 box .

I have attempted to open a port 2231 on 'orange'(DMZ)and pointed it to my 'Backup server' running on 172.16.0.2 port 2231

This is copied from Networking>Incoming
    Current rules:Protocol External source IP Source port Destination IP Destination port Enabled Mark
    Comment
    TCP ALL 2231 172.16.0.2 2231
    Access To Backup Server On Port 2231
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This copied from Networking>Outgoing
    Traffic originating on ORANGE is 'Blocked With Exception'
    ORANGE 2231
    Outgoing port for backup server
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doing a 'Nmap' scan from another internet location back to my 'Public facing IP Address' = "All 65536 scanned ports on xxx.xxx.xxx.107 are filtered"
    Doing a ssh test from my daughters laptop from an external internet location to the backup server resulted in failure !.(There are no firewall logs to say it blocked it) !.
    I have tried .
    TCP ALL 2231 172.16.0.2 port (blank)
    If I do a 'Nmap' scan from Nmap Online should I see that port open now ?.

With me living in a small country village my problem is going getting to a local WiFi (they are miles away in the next town eg the public library) to send data back to my home !.
    so if I send data out from my home LAN back again to my server on the DMZ (same public ip ) it does take data on the server, But I'm not sure if this is a proper test.

My set up BT phone line >ADSL>(Set of public fixed ip address's)>Non NATing Router> Smoothwall>Switch>LAN >home network.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->Smoothwall>DMZ>server. Any Help Please.

Thank Post
    have you opened the ports on your router also .. all your traffic will be hitting your router (externally) but then the router wont know what to do with the traffic.... open the ports on your router to your smoothwall box.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    have you opened the ports on your router also .. all your traffic will be hitting your router (externally) but then the router wont know what to do with the traffic.... open the ports on your router to your smoothwall box.
    I think (I hope ) I have set it up for non NATing .. so does that not let every thing trough ?.
    On the router the firewall says..
    Security Level: Disabled Details...

Disable the firewall. All traffic is allowed to pass through your SpeedTouch. Game & Application sharing is allowed by the firewall.

Do you have to re-boot a router or smoothie box when you change some settings?
    Last edited by tickmike; 7th August 2012 at 01:27 PM.

Thank Post
    I dont think this has anything to do with nat.... also what network is your router connected to ? 192.*.*.* presumably any other network will need a static route so add your 172 on your smoothwall as a static route on your router. your router wont know where the 172 network is unless its in the same network / subnet. Youll also need to do routes on the smoothie back to your router.

Thank Post
    What I did was to re-furbish my old smoothie box and add the FFC mod also changed my router for a Netgear one set it all up and it all worked first time .
    Thanks for help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread