+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Schools URL in Technical; Hi, Not sure where this is best posted, so I'll try here. Who owns the schools domain? We're changing ISP ...
  1. #1

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,139
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 622 Times in 568 Posts
    Rep Power
    181

    Schools URL

    Hi,

    Not sure where this is best posted, so I'll try here.

    Who owns the schools domain? We're changing ISP and I see it pointles to pay hundreds of pounds for DNS management if we can do this ourselves. Is it possible for a school to take over their domain and source their own DNS services?

    If so, what's he process? Do you have to do it throug the RBC or direct with Nominet?

    Thanks in advance for any help!

  2. #2

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,942
    Thank Post
    886
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    447
    is it just a .co.uk type one or.sch.uk?

  3. #3

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,808
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Look it up here It will tell you who you domain is registered to (it will only work for .uk domains). You can then request this to be transferred.

  4. #4

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,747
    Thank Post
    1,275
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    506
    If its .sch.uk then its owned by the school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    I see it pointles to pay hundreds of pounds for DNS management
    Hundreds for DNS hosting? £45 for us.

  5. #5

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,139
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 622 Times in 568 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    If its .sch.uk then its owned by the school.

    Hundreds for DNS hosting? £45 for us.
    Maybe a slight exaggeration but when you add all the other services to it, it's amounting to hundreds!

    It is a .sch.uk domain, yes.

    The registrar is listed as:

    Registrar:
    East Midlands Broadband Consortium [Tag = EMBC]
    URL: http://www.embc.org.uk
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 9th July 2012 at 11:25 AM.

  6. #6

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,808
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Find a new registrar and then get EMBC to transfer the domain to it My Personal stuff is with Carl @ CSNewMedia - he should be able to host it for you.

  7. #7

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,139
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 622 Times in 568 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    I don't need hosting, as our website is hosted by somebody else. All I need is access to the DNS and for that I'll use PointDNS.

  8. #8
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 342 Times in 289 Posts
    Rep Power
    86
    Just as a pointer because people have asked before if you ever have any issues moving your DNS host Nominet can forcefully change the tags

    Although it maybe registered with your RBC it is your domain name to do with as you wish as well.

  9. #9

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,933
    Thank Post
    1,339
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    594
    To be honest, there is no need to say 'forcefully' or 'seize' as this give the wrong impression about how RBCs and LAs work. I know some non-RBC providers have used this language on occasion too and it is overly aggressive. Tags for domains get transferred betweens registrars across the globe every minute ... it is a simple process and moving DNS hosting really is not a big hassle. Making sure you have access to be able to make further updates, closing down the old DNS entries and making sure you really know what you are doing are the most important things.

  10. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

    SimpleSi (9th July 2012)

  11. #10

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,933
    Thank Post
    1,339
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    I don't need hosting, as our website is hosted by somebody else. All I need is access to the DNS and for that I'll use PointDNS.
    When people say 'hosting' with regards to DNS they tend to mean the DNS hosting rather than website hosting. This is to differentiate between DNS resolution and where you host the DNS records for your domain(s). When you move the tag you need to specify the Registrar you are moving to ... who may or may not be your DNS host or your ISP. Most people try to keep the ISP, Registrar and DNS host all together for schools as it keeps it simple.

  12. #11
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 342 Times in 289 Posts
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    To be honest, there is no need to say 'forcefully' or 'seize' as this give the wrong impression about how RBCs and LAs work. I know some non-RBC providers have used this language on occasion too and it is overly aggressive. Tags for domains get transferred betweens registrars across the globe every minute ... it is a simple process and moving DNS hosting really is not a big hassle. Making sure you have access to be able to make further updates, closing down the old DNS entries and making sure you really know what you are doing are the most important things.
    Sorry I didn't mean to cause any offense - just that on occasion I have heard of 'unwilling' RBCs who have needed a decent nudge - not to say that this is the rule but the exception instead.

  13. #12

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,139
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 622 Times in 568 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    When people say 'hosting' with regards to DNS they tend to mean the DNS hosting rather than website hosting. This is to differentiate between DNS resolution and where you host the DNS records for your domain(s). When you move the tag you need to specify the Registrar you are moving to ... who may or may not be your DNS host or your ISP. Most people try to keep the ISP, Registrar and DNS host all together for schools as it keeps it simple.
    Sure, but, I see no point in paying money to manage the DNS hosting for our domain when I am quite happy to us a free service which is just as reliable.

  14. #13

    SimpleSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    5,812
    Thank Post
    1,476
    Thanked 592 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    I see no point in paying money to manage the DNS hosting for our domain
    as GD said the point is
    Most people try to keep the ISP, Registrar and DNS host all together for schools as it keeps it simple.


    Si

  15. #14
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,765
    Thank Post
    898
    Thanked 416 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    87
    Try to move away from your local authority owning it.

    We registered a new domain name when we became an academy, it costs about £12 a year and I have full access to changing DNS records via the web in a matter of hours.

  16. #15

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,460
    Thank Post
    646
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Rep Power
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Try to move away from your local authority owning it.

    We registered a new domain name when we became an academy, it costs about £12 a year and I have full access to changing DNS records via the web in a matter of hours.
    Owning what? the .sch.uk allready belongs to the relevant school anyway.

    The terms force and seize have been used before where RBC or LEA's either wouldn't release the domain or wanted ridiculous sums of money to do so which used to be the case in Norfolk.

    Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Which CMS for School Website?
    By Ric_ in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10th November 2005, 12:41 PM
  2. How are the rest of your schools connected?
    By Dos_Box in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 8th August 2005, 10:42 AM
  3. Spyware/Adware in Schools
    By mrtechsystems in forum Windows
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 29th July 2005, 01:02 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •