+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Schools URL in Technical; Originally Posted by Edu-IT Sure, but, I see no point in paying money to manage the DNS hosting for our ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Sure, but, I see no point in paying money to manage the DNS hosting for our domain when I am quite happy to us a free service which is just as reliable.
    Given the importance of the domain for your school I would be relucatnat to use a free service given the concequences should your DNS go down. I find the 10 a year to CSNM for my DNS hosting and then having someone to shout at should it be needed is money well spent

As for the terms force / seize agree with others, some RBCs and LAs don't want to let go so you have to use the sledgehammer to get them, there shouldn't be any hassle letting you take over your own domain as at the end of the day it is yours.

2. Thanks to john from:

CSNM-Carl (9th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Given the importance of the domain for your school I would be relucatnat to use a free service given the concequences should your DNS go down. I find the 10 a year to CSNM for my DNS hosting and then having someone to shout at should it be needed is money well spent

As for the terms force / seize agree with others, some RBCs and LAs don't want to let go so you have to use the sledgehammer to get them, there shouldn't be any hassle letting you take over your own domain as at the end of the day it is yours.
    We actually don't charge for DNS management any-more, it's included as standard free of charge with any domains registered with us/under our IPS Tag

4. Thanks to CSNM-Carl from:

john (9th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CSNM-Carl View Post
    We actually don't charge for DNS management any-more, it's included as standard free of charge with any domains registered with us/under our IPS Tag
    Even better value Bar I don't pay for the name from the LA assume if I changed the tag to you I would have to pay a yearly .uk fee as I guess nominet charge you one for the .area.sch.uk one?

Thank Post
    Even better value Bar I don't pay for the name from the LA assume if I changed the tag to you I would have to pay a yearly .uk fee as I guess nominet charge you one for the .area.sch.uk one?
    No, nothing to pay at all for .sch.uk domain as we don't pay anything for them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keeping Registrar and DNS host together is a very good plan ... I've been in the situation of having ISP, Registrar and DNS Host in different places ... it can lead to things being interesting.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CSNM-Carl View Post
    No, nothing to pay at all for .sch.uk domain as we don't pay anything for them.
    Ooooh that is good to know So if we change the tag to you then its free then for it

Thank Post
    Ooooh that is good to know So if we change the tag to you then its free then for it
    Yes, believe it or not!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Just as a pointer because people have asked before if you ever have any issues moving your DNS host Nominet can forcefully change the tags

Although it maybe registered with your RBC it is your domain name to do with as you wish as well.
    Although there has often been quite a bit of RBC / LA bashing, we've found most of them to be quite helpful and released the TAG to us no problem what so ever. EMBC have always responded and done this as per the customers request so I don't think you'll have a problem moving from EMBC to a.n.other provider.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12