Poll: Is this a good idea?

+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Feedback required from the community in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Lightbulb Feedback required from the community

Hello everyone,

to start off with mods, I have this is ok posting here. Please do let me know if not and move to any relevant forum but it is Internet related.

I'm interested in getting IT managers feedback on a potential leased line product we are considering selling via an LLU provider. I have my reservations but would love to get some honest opinions from you.

Currently for leased lines we sell guaranteed 1:1 contention ratio, same speed upload / download, speed fixed 24x7x365 at fixed speeds. Normally for secondary schools this is either a 50Mbit or 100Mbit. Leased lines are not cheap, but you get what you pay for and we almost always recommend them for secondary schools.

I have been approached by an LLU provider to offer the education market a new product. This will be £1,000 to £1,500pa cheaper than our normal product as above. As an example lets talk about a 100Mbit line

From 08:00 - 17:00 you'd get the full 100Mbit with 1:1 contention ratio as per the normal product. Outside of these hours we then give 100Mbit of bandwidth to 10 schools, effectively giving a 10:1 contention ratio.

The thing is though if you look at all the network stats, schools hardly ever use bandwidth outside of these hours. Sure there is the odd bit of offsite backup but not much. it's highly likely that schools will get nearer to the 100Mbit outside of the hours anyway due to low usage by other schools.

I really do want to put it on the record though that we are only THINKING about providing this. We do NOT currently provide this and haven't to any schools using our service or currently signed up to do so in the near future.

If we do go with the product we will also offer both different options and be completely up front about the differences in the product.

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    s/required/requested ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread