+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Cisco Help in Technical; Let me start by saying that I am not a network engineer. I am simply a teacher trying to help ...

Thank Post

Question Cisco Help

Let me start by saying that I am not a network engineer. I am simply a teacher trying to help my school figure out what some contractors have done or not done.

My school has recently had some major upgrades to its network. Unfortunately no one seems to know what was done as there was no one at the helm for the school during the work.

The rack is a mess and I have already noted several issues that need to be replace, but I am trying to wrap my head around the fact that they have a Cisco AS5510 and a Cisco 2911 inline with one another. I am trying to understand what the purpose for this would be. I understand the AS5510 is a security appliance and the 2911 is a router. The 5510 appears to have been in the rack much longer then the 2911 based on the dust and location.

Is it overkill for our need. We have roughly 500 computer with 1300 students and staff.

I want to help them straighten this mess out, but I am really scratching my head over this one.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thank Post
    The Cisco AS 5510 (more than likely an ASA not AS 5510) is an Adaptive Security Appliance - a firewall with quite a few other features - every organisation needs a firewall so it's not overkill as it's not quite the bottom of the range one they do (I'm sure there's one below that and then below that it was the PIX which I think they have been discontinued.

The route is how you get your internet which is where I presume the upgrade has happened. This sits facing the internet and is connected to the ASA. The ASA has an internal port also which the coreswitch will connect to to give your DC's webserver and PC's connectivity.

Our's is set up by Ja.NET so we don't have the password for that but I look after the ASA so if you need help with firewall rules, PM me.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the quick response. I think I am beginning to wrap my head around it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread