+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, guest wifi vlans etc in Technical; I have a flat network with around 700 devices on it. I've never realy got Vlans and how they work ...

Thank Post

guest wifi vlans etc

I have a flat network with around 700 devices on it. I've never realy got Vlans and how they work and it seemed to add complexity. I know I can offer tagged vlans through my APs but I was once trailing this and my switches started to dissapear so I quit the test.

I can't quite get what is going on. It seemed that the second the AP sent tagged traffic the switch it was connected to became unpingable? I hadn't yet configured the switch to do anything? in anycase I have some switches connected to others how do I configure their uplinks so they don't start doing the same an killing large portions of my network. I understand I can set an untagged port on my switch that is infact tagged by the switch instead.

I also understand that I need to have different ip ranges on each VLAN? Why for routing? I want them isolated from each other. Only the servers need to see all the traffic so, can send them all the tagged traffic? and not setup multiple DCHP servers / ranges?

Does anyone have vlans for dummies?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    ooops, didn't realize there would be an actual "vlans for dummies" I was generalising. Anyhow thanks but 1, thats not easy 2, it for cisco. I have a mix of 3com, HP and Dlink. Dlink being the POE switches 3com the rest + the newer hp replacements.

Thank Post
    To try to put it in a nutshell, your DHCP server (with a different IP scope for each VLAN created) will plug directly in to a Layer-3 switch. The software on the switch will see to it that IP addresses are assigned to the correct VLAN’s for you once you set it up.

Each VLAN is assigned an IP address on this switch from its relevant IP scope. This will become the Default Gateway address for each appropriate VLAN.
    You will also need to setup an IP-Helper address for each VLAN. This is basically a pointer for each VLAN to the IP address of your DHCP server. That way clients requests for an IP can be routed to the server.

A Trunk is a way of bundling more than one VLAN together and sending it down a single connection. For example you may want a trunk to an external building containing a VLAN for the PC’s in that building and a VLAN for wireless clients. The Layer-2 switch at the other end of the Trunk can then be programmed to split up this ‘bundle’ and assign the VLAN’s to port numbers.

An example could be this:

Basic VLAN.jpg

Hope this explains in part??? This shouldn't really care too much about mix and match makes. We have a Cisco Layer 3 switch and all other switches in the school are HP

5. Thanks to themightymrp from:

chazzy2501 (17th May 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread