+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Which ftp software? in Technical; All, I have set up a server (ubuntu) with ISPConfig3 on it. The idea being that the students can create ...
    Thank Post

Which ftp software?

All,
    I have set up a server (ubuntu) with ISPConfig3 on it. The idea being that the students can create a propper website and have the full experience of setting one up. The whole domain is isolated from the outside world and each student would basically have a domain of their username.ict.local (e.g. 10bellist.ict.local)
    This all seems to be working fine (we have some trusted 'geeks' that are doing testing for us).
    I want to have a simple ftp client that I can 'lock down' the settings so that they can't go anywhere else but their own domain. So config file and lock out the ability to change settings.

This is where I am stuck at the moment.
    The pupils can either create a website from scratch or install a wordpress/forum etc and they have access to mysql/php/perls etc.
    At the moment the nearest they get is creating three pages in publisher and printing them out!
    So does anyone have any reccomendations?
    Alan

Thank Post
    Windows explorer will connect to FTP servers quite easily, just stick your ftp server's URL into the address bar, prefixing it with ftp://

That's probably the easiest solution for your students as there are effectively no settings to change.

Thank Post
    There is an ftp client available from the command line (DOS Prompt), so you could script a batch file to pick up files from a users network share and squirt them across to their area on the web server. It would then be a case of them clicking on the file and typing in their password.

An alternative might be to set up SAMBA to sync an account from AD, set Apache user directories on, and they can then just map to their area on that server and copy any files they want into ~/public_html .

Thank Post
    If you were to use a windows server, IIS ftp user isolation could be a way ahead ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crutchfieldj View Post
    Windows explorer will connect to FTP servers quite easily, just stick your ftp server's URL into the address bar, prefixing it with ftp://

That's probably the easiest solution for your students as there are effectively no settings to change.
    This, you can just have an easy link to it, you could also look at pointing the server back at a folder in their userarea but I think you are going the right way in using FTP if you want them to experience real world stuff.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread