+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Cookie law makes most UK websites illegal (£500k fine for schools) in Technical; Personally, I am of the opinion it's the likes of Google and the other big boys that actually track you ...
    Thank Post
    Personally, I am of the opinion it's the likes of Google and the other big boys that actually track you across multiple web sites when using Analytic's, Social Plugins or whatever that need to play ball. Just because you choose to have a Facebook Likey button on your pages doesn't mean they have the right to track your visitors browsing habits. As I have said previously, these are the guys that need to set-up a section on their websites that allow you to opt out of all Google Ad/Analytical (..) tracking, and as a result, your wishes should be then applied to millions of other websites.

In addition, who is going to enforce this on the old, dead, web sites that are no longer maintained? The web is full of them!

I am interested in watching how many people flout this law, it will be just one of these laws people break as routine, however wrong that may be.
    Last edited by InterwebsGuy; 15th May 2012 at 01:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    ok found another WP plugin - can someone check for me?
    It appeared to set a whole heap of Cookies, I declined them, and it redirected me to Google. Cookies were still set before hand, however.

3. Thanks to InterwebsGuy from:

Gatt (15th May 2012)

Thank Post
    I think this is going to be a problem with Wordpress itself.. as these addons apply after its loaded a heck of a lot of stuff first...

Thank Post
    Bit of an interesting read - seems there's a bit of a debate over who this actually applies to..

WordPress › Support » How can we control cookies with new EU legislation?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I think this is going to be a problem with Wordpress itself.. as these addons apply after its loaded a heck of a lot of stuff first...
    Sounds plausible. I haven't really had much to do with WP, so wouldn't know what to suggest. I guess if you have other plugins running, they could well be over riding the no tracking Cookies plugin?

Thank Post
    Well I've gone back to the original plugin for now as I got the impression it blocked more

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Cookie Control is effective, but it works on scripting. You can't just install it and expect to do nothing more - it must be scripted. For example, I have it set to only allow Google Analytics cookies when the user has accepted, otherwise they're not set. If you 'Remove Consent' another script deletes the Analytics cookies. This is on our landing page only (which acts as a hub). It is written into our policies that the hub is the only site that doesn't set cookies automatically - if you stop Joomla, Wordpress and Moodle doing this you can break all logons (frontend at least).

Thank Post
    I've configured Cookie Control with my GA info and disabled the GA plugin as advised.
    The trouble is I suspect Wordpress sets a load of Cookies before the Cookie Control one is loaded, and I suspect WordPress may need to do a bit of code bashing so that plugins such as Cookie Control get loaded first, or they implement their own version within Wordpress itself.

Thank Post
    The problem with these consent plugins is they are JavaScript based and won't work if the user is running without JS enabled. Sure you could argue that if they have JS disabled, other peoples Cookies probably won't be being set either. Just another angle to look at it from!

Thank Post
    Urrghg, the alternative is a php based landing page with a simple "Click I agree to continue", which sets a cookie. If this cookie isn't present, users are redirected to the landing page from any other page (such as by altering your Joomla header before session cookies are set). That would be utterly horrendous though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Urrghg, the alternative is a php based landing page with a simple "Click I agree to continue", which sets a cookie. If this cookie isn't present, users are redirected to the landing page from any other page (such as by altering your Joomla header before session cookies are set). That would be utterly horrendous though.
    I totally agree, no matter what way it is implemented it's ugly. A server side solution may only be the reliable way to comply though. And you have to hope they have allowed their browser to set Cookies.

There are so many caveats to implementing this requirement it's mad. It's clearly something that has been dreamt up without much technical insight.

Thank Post
    Just looking at our moodle, the only cookies are the standard session and moodleid. Is it sufficient to put a sort of disclaimer on the site explaining what the cookies do?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,609 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Has anyone tried cPrompt?

16. Thanks to Arthur from:

InterwebsGuy (17th May 2012)

Thank Post
    PC Pro had this article which I think is quite sensible. The Cookie law: clarity at last (but not from the ICO) | PC Pro blog

18. Thanks to Meldrew from:

AngryTechnician (16th May 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast