+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Transparent Proxy with LEA supplied squid server in Technical; I wish to add my own transparent proxy to remove the need to add proxy settings for any device that ...

Thank Post

Transparent Proxy with LEA supplied squid server

I wish to add my own transparent proxy to remove the need to add proxy settings for any device that connects, specifically android devices with no proxy server options.

We have a squid proxy supplied by Birmingham LEA.

With squid being transparent aware, can I set up any old machine with another install of squid and let it do its thing?

Will HTTPS traffic just route to the squid (lea) as it cant be cached or fail?

Thank Post
    Also, will changing the default gateway to the transparent proxy give the desired effect or are there other ways of implementing?

Thank Post
    Quickest reply from the LEA ever! They gave a resounding yes to a transparent proxy and just said change the default gateway to the new proxy.

Simple as

Thank Post
    You beat me to it, so to confirm.

Yes installing a new squid box (transparent) and pointing to your lea proxy upstream will work.
    No https just dies, man in the middle attack etc.
    Yeah change your default gateway to your transparent gateway and your good to go.

Works with all http traffic on all devices but be aware stuff like the android market allows you to view apps but not download them. It uses non standard ports to download. Hope it helps.

5. Thanks to TechieWils from:

CHR1S (11th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I've asked this very question in the past and I was told 'no'. For the exact same reason(s) that schools are starting to use a range of Operating Systems and not just Windows.

It would be nice if a transparent proxy option was offered to schools, even for a small fee wink, wink

7. Thanks to Michael from:

CHR1S (11th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Apparently link2ict are investigating it but have found a number of issues with their infrastructure mainly the Cisco switches not being able to handle a specific protocol (can't remember which one now)

A little naughty but I just couldnt build my own squid box (more time and practice required) so I stuck smooth wall express on a vm to test it out and works like a charm. It's also put us on a path to get a proper smoothie box and finally leave bgfl.

Thank Post
    I find that a little surprising. Cisco are one of the market leaders, so you'd expect them to handle most protocols out there (but I'll take your word for it).

Either way, the need for transparent proxies is becoming more of an issue and at the end of the day, 99.9% of teachers do not care what a proxy is and they just want things to work (quite rightly).

Thank Post
    Completely agree with you they need to get it sorted and start offering a real transparent proxy solution instead of saying do it your self it does work and that's it. I'll dig the document out they sent me I know it's round here somewhere...

Thank Post
    Found it but can't upload it from my phone so will in the morning. The protocol was WCCP on Cisco edge switches btw

Thank Post
    A quick google reveals it may be the WCCP protocol (Web Cache Communication Protocol)

Edit: Beat me to it reading up on it!

Thank Post
    Hi

If you place a firewall on the box something like firehol you can set it to forward the ports to either the internet squid or the county proxy like for ssh. Proxy can change the packet when they come through so it looks like its been tampered with.

You can also put dansguardian on as well so the firewall passes the traffic to dansguardian and then onto squid so you can have a filtered transparent proxy.

The transparrent proxy is a good idea from the point that you dont have to put setting into ie but not for security. If someone gets onto the network they can have direct acess to the internet. We are setting this up at the moment for a hotspot vlans with two cards in it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just did this a couple months ago for a segregated guess WiFi VLAN. I setup Squid 3.0 as a transparent proxy and iptables to pass the traffic between NICs. Port 80 gets forwarded to Squid, a couple ports go straight through, and the rest get blocked. Once through, Squid will then forward the traffic up to the ISD for content filtering. The whole thing runs in a VM and even has a captive portal splash page for users to accept our terms of service. It works nicely, but as already noted, HTTPS doesn't forward through Squid.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    I just did this a couple months ago for a segregated guess WiFi VLAN. I setup Squid 3.0 as a transparent proxy and iptables to pass the traffic between NICs. Port 80 gets forwarded to Squid, a couple ports go straight through, and the rest get blocked. Once through, Squid will then forward the traffic up to the ISD for content filtering. The whole thing runs in a VM and even has a captive portal splash page for users to accept our terms of service. It works nicely, but as already noted, HTTPS doesn't forward through Squid.
    How did you get the redirect to work on the first screen. We have tried to get this to work but it will not work.

Richard

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    How did you get the redirect to work on the first screen. We have tried to get this to work but it will not work.

Richard
    I used this guide to get IPtables to route traffic between the NICs and forward port 80 to Squid.

Linux: Setup a transparent proxy with Squid in three easy steps

The only thing it doesn't cover is restoring the rules on reboot. IPtables will revert back to a stock configuration after every reboot unless you import the rules again. The answer to this is in post #13 of this thread.

[ubuntu] Ubuntu v8.10 Auto Start IPTables - Page 2 - Ubuntu Forums

I hope this helps...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    The transparrent proxy is a good idea from the point that you dont have to put setting into ie but not for security. If someone gets onto the network they can have direct acess to the internet. We are setting this up at the moment for a hotspot vlans with two cards in it.
    I've heard this argument before, but it's not a good argument in my opinion. To access the LAN itself you'll need to break into the building or if you can access and break the WLAN, you probably have a poor wireless configuration/security setup.

Modern wireless encryption such as WPA2-PSK AES is pretty much unbreakable. There's always at least one wireless network which is wide open or poorly secured with WEP and these are the kind of networks (if I were that way inclined) I would target.

If you wanted to go further, you could easily switch on/off wireless access points or configure Mac address filtering. There's so much you can do these days and manually entering a proxy is considered tedious by many, especially teachers who have to enable it at school and disable it at home.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast