+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Alternatives to Google Images in Technical; We have just improved our filtering in school, and the firewall now blocks Google images. I have had a few ...
    sjb

Thank Post

Alternatives to Google Images

We have just improved our filtering in school, and the firewall now blocks Google images. I have had a few requests from staff for an alternative source of images for lessons - does anyone know of any appropriately-filtered image search engines/image libraries for primary school children please?

Thank Post
    Why can't you use strict safe search on Google for it? I'm sure there are other options out there, but Google's strict search catches most culprits, and anything it doesn't you can easily report and have removed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sjb View Post
    We have just improved our filtering in school, and the firewall now blocks Google images. I have had a few requests from staff for an alternative source of images for lessons - does anyone know of any appropriately-filtered image search engines/image libraries for primary school children please?
    Doesn't that kind of create a self-defeatest situation? If you improved filtering, and it's filtered a site like google images, then surely any unfiltered image engines should be "appropriate"?

There's always the options like Bing/Yahoo etc, but generally it should be the individual sites "not" the search engine that is filtered/unfiltered, else you'll still get the images on another search engine.

In terms of alternatives:

South West Grid for Learning Trust : Home:
    OpenClipArt
    Home: NEN Gallery
    Coloring pages, photos and crafts | Images for education
    Pics4Learning | Free photos for education

etc, but still think you're almost doing this in the wrong order. Focus on filtering the wrong images, not the engines, but just my two cents

Steve

sjb

Thank Post
    In my experience Safe Search doesn't work very well and lets through a lot of very inappropriate images. WOuld prefer to leave it blocked as we are a primary school and find a properly-filtered service if there is one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sjb View Post
    In my experience Safe Search doesn't work very well and lets through a lot of very inappropriate images. WOuld prefer to leave it blocked as we are a primary school and find a properly-filtered service if there is one.
    Fair enough, I've found the strict search is brilliant here in conjunction with the other LEA filtering in place.

Anywho, you could look at something like KidZui (KidZui - The Internet for Kids) which is something I have on my Daughters laptop - she's 8 - so browses around quite happily on there.
    And then there is KidRex which is a search engine for Children (KidRex - Kid Safe Search Engine)

sjb

Thank Post
    Thanks - I'll have a look at those.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread