+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Domain names after academy status in Technical; Sorry if this isn't the best forum please move if necessary. This thread in general chat touches on the subject ...

Thank Post

Domain names after academy status

Sorry if this isn't the best forum please move if necessary. This thread in general chat touches on the subject but doesn't seem to have a final resolution.

We're probably going to be an academy shortly and I believe this means we should no longer refer to ourselves as a 'school'. This is somewhat implied by our havering.sch.uk domain name so we will be purchasing a new domain to avoid this confusion. Curious what other schools are doing and if there is any actual rules/laws regarding this?

I've had a quick look at nearby schools that have converted and to my surprise their website/domain reflect no changes so far; seems maybe people haven't thought this far in to the technical identity of the school! Another nearby academy that was founded as such has a schoolnameacademy.com domain, is anyone aware of academies being allowed to use .ac.uk or if an acd.uk tld is going to be created?

We will probably purchase .co.uk/.org/.com/.org.uk (to avoid squatters/confusion) but still curious why converted schools aren't making more of an effort to move away from these domain names/website descriptions.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    You can't get .ac.uk unless your are a higher education establishment.

We bought the .org.uk as the .org was allready taken.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    You can't get .ac.uk unless your are a higher education establishment.
    Not strictly true. My former school got a .ac.uk domain name after it gained technology college status. The students where 11-16 year olds.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    An academy is still a 'school' so would ordinarily still use a .sch.uk domain as far as I know. However, we have .com/org/org.uk/net here.

Thank Post
    I think you can still request to take ownership of your .sch.uk domain, can you not?

Edit:

Grumbledook posted in another thread "Just a quick note to remind people ... your .sch.uk domain is owned by the school, not the LA and not the RBC/ISP ... you can get Nominet to forcibly move the tags if needed. Also, the 'region' bit in schoolname.region.sch.uk is to do with geographical regions and not specifically because you are an LA school. Even the CTCs had schoolname.region.sch.uk in."

A quick Google search found me http://www.boclair.e-dunbarton.sch.u...age=Home&pid=1 which is an Academy but has a .sch.uk domain.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 18th April 2012 at 12:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    We use a .org.uk address for our school although our .sch.uk address we still have control over and points to our website anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another example: King's School in Grantham (who still refer to themselves as a school as well, although they academised this academic year iirc)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Response from Janet Naming in response to my request about this:

Hi Ben,

Wayland academy would have to be exclusively providing tertiary education in order to be eligible for an ac.uk domain name.

Here is the link to our eligibility guidelines: Eligibility

Kind regards

Richard Brown
    Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Response from Janet Naming in response to my request about this:

Ben
    Not read the link but we had one. The school is closed now anyway but it was Balderstone Technology College - http://www.rochdale.gov.uk/system_pa...y_college.aspx

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    The academies I'm involved with have all retained their schoolname.county.sch.uk domains post conversion. You don't have to change.

Thank Post
    Most I've been involved with have kept sch.uk, except for one.

AFAIC changing from sch.uk is a vanity thing in every sense of the word.. a pointless waste of tax-payers money when we're all supposed to be saving it, and only serves to make it more difficult for external folk to establish whether they're dealing with a bona-fide school of whatever variety i.e. unlike sch.uk anyone can get an org.uk.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From recent queries to JANET and also from conversations with Nominet ...

Schools (including TCs and CTCs) which gained an .ac.uk domain were due to merger with FE colleges (i.e. taking on the VIth form bit) who already had the .ac.uk domain, where due to direct sponsorship of a peering university (i.e. the internet connection was a JANET provided connection via the university ... and the university put in the application for the domain), where the school connected directly to JANET and is on the JANET network ... or ... it was a mistake.

Academies, like free schools/UTCs/Studio schools ... are just another form of compulsory education and so they get their .sch.uk domain. There is now a registration charge for change of name with Nominet (if you are changing the name, but many academies don't) as this used to be picked up by Becta and now needs to be funded by the school as it converts to an academy.

There is something to be said for domain registering on other TLDs / cTLDs to protect the branding of the school / academy ... but that is a different discussion.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Most I've been involved with have kept sch.uk, except for one.

AFAIC changing from sch.uk is a vanity thing in every sense of the word.. a pointless waste of tax-payers money when we're all supposed to be saving it, and only serves to make it more difficult for external folk to establish whether they're dealing with a bona-fide school of whatever variety i.e. unlike sch.uk anyone can get an org.uk.
    I don't see it as a vanity issue for us. We use a .org address simply because using the .sch.uk and by extension the email addresses given to schools in our area is absurdly long and cumbersome, and the longer an address is the more chance of people making typing errors. As an example, email addresses look like name.surname@xxxxxxxxxx-jun.southampton.sch.u k.

Yes, some schools actually have a 30+ character domain! So for us, changing was a no-brainer.

edit: Oops, didn't realise this thread was a month old. Apparently I'm still living in April.
    Last edited by nutso; 18th May 2012 at 04:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally ... I would say that you should have gone for .org.uk domain ... not .org ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We are about to convert to an Academy and although we will retain the existing school name (for heritage reasons I guess) we will stop using the ???.county.sch.uk domain and use the one I bought earlier, ???.org.uk. This also make sit easier for me to move us to Google Apps without needing to request changes to the MX records.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast