+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Domain names after academy status in Technical; I presume that you will point the MX records of the old domain to a mail service with a catch ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I presume that you will point the MX records of the old domain to a mail service with a catch all account with an auto-responder telling people to contact people via the new email domain?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,468 Times in 983 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Am I the only person who can't see the point of not using the region.sch.uk address?
    You are a school in that region of the uk... I just don't get it?!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Am I the only person who can't see the point of not using the region.sch.uk address?
    Some very long URLs with lots of dot dot dot dot dot!

Steve

Thank Post
    As @plexer did, we went with .org.uk. My line manager initially wanted .com but I did persuade him that the .org.uk made us look more the UK based non-profit charitable organisation that we are. That said we did but .co.uk & .com for the next couple of years at least. We also still have our .sch.uk address, which we will keep for the duration of our stay with the LEA broadband (those days are numbered).
    Last edited by sjatkn; 18th May 2012 at 11:16 PM.

Thank Post
    I did persuade him that the .org.uk made us look more the UK based non-profit charitable organisation that we are.
    I've got one of those and although charitable and non-profit sometimes apply to my actions, it's just a personal play thing and I expect most of them are the same.

which we will keep for the duration of our stay with the LEA broadband (those days are numbered).
    I've yet to work on any mail domain changes where I haven't succesfully explained that having your new address as a primary and your old address as an alias/proxy pointed at the same mailbox for a few years is by far the best strategy... old mail addresses have a habit of persisting in other folk's address lists/mailboxes for eons... and one day someone will probably use an old address for something mission critical (which if you talk to users during a 5 min outage is absolutely everything they get sent).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I presume that you will point the MX records of the old domain to a mail service with a catch all account with an auto-responder telling people to contact people via the new email domain?
    That sounds like a good idea. I hadn't thought much past getting away from the LA.

As all the 'new' email accounts will be in the same format, i.e. winng@????.county.sch.uk will be winng@????.org.uk, is it possible to set something up to redirect or forward mail?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by winng View Post
    As all the 'new' email accounts will be in the same format, i.e. winng@????.county.sch.uk will be winng@????.org.uk, is it possible to set something up to redirect or forward mail?
    What e-mail product do you use?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    That sounds like a good idea. I hadn't thought much past getting away from the LA.

If you using exchange you can setup both to run alongside

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Schools which have had name changes in this area and run in-house exchange boxes simply add it is as an additional address and when the name change is done they move it to the primary address of the mailbox. I would also add a footer to the email to point out the name and domain change and ask people to update their address books accordingly.

Not relevant for the OP but might be to others ... if you are changing your school name completely then Nominet will only keep the old domain running for a few months (most I have had is 9 months so far) ... and if your name change was also done with a change of DfE number then you will have to get in quickly to make sure Nominet don't remove the domain as part of their housekeeping. Try to keep redirections in place for websites so they know it is live otherwise it may just go.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We moved to a .co.uk domain the day we became an acadamy. Other schools in the area did a similar thing.

www.schoolname.county.sch.uk

to

www.school-name.co.uk

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    What e-mail product do you use?
    Currently, we are using an ancient POP3 open source solution however, I am hoping that I have convinced SLT, etc. to use the Google Apps accounts I have set up and am using with selected personnel, i.e. my boss! We are able to demonstrate collaborating on several documents in addition to accessing our IMAP email whenever and whereever.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Currently, we are using an ancient POP3 open source solution however, I am hoping that I have convinced SLT, etc. to use the Google Apps accounts I have set up and am using with selected personnel, i.e. my boss! We are able to demonstrate collaborating on several documents in addition to accessing our IMAP email whenever and whereever.
    Use the outlook conntactor for google apps its bettet then imap it will sync contacts and calendar. I know it can be done with google apps not sure on your pop solution.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Possibly over long and complex domains in terms of both the "region" and school name bits. Including some rather strange rules about school "types" being suffixed to the name.
    e.g. why is it necessary to indicate that the only school in one village is a primary school, but not the one in another village a few miles away?

Thank Post
    incidentally, the .region part of a .sch.uk address is tied to your DfE number. We wanted to be a .dorset, as we are in the county, but got told by nominet that we would have to continue being a .bournemouth, as our DfE number ties us to it. We are still going through the motions!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've had many positive comments about changing to a shorter .co.uk address.

Its much easier for people to understand and write down.

Once your an academy you can use whatever domain you wish.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast