+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Web Filtering - What would you install? Cost? in Technical; Hi We urgently need a new Web Filtering solution after out Smoothwall refuses to work. Websense seems to cost itself ...

Thank Post

Web Filtering - What would you install? Cost?

Hi

We urgently need a new Web Filtering solution after out Smoothwall refuses to work.

Websense seems to cost itself out. Do you know of the best solution for the best price?

Thanks

Thank Post
    One idea is that you could use squid. I used it and it worked fine until we need to move systems due to BSF (which never happened). It can be hard to set up but if you are ok with Linux but now newer version seem to work on windows, and it is free (unless you want to donate).
    Last edited by Grey-gear; 11th April 2012 at 08:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey-gear View Post
    One idea is that you could use squid. I used it and it worked fine until we need to move systems due to BSF (which never happened). It can be hard to set up but if you are ok with Linux it is a great chooses, and it is free.
    Thanks, I may have to wait until my Linux mad colleague returns! I wouldnt know where to start

Thank Post
    Well I was having a look on a squid website and the newer versons seem to run on windows, not sure if that is the case though.

Thank Post
    I have installed Linux Servers in schools locally for this task, basic CentOS box with Squid and Dansguardian. Works flawlessly and since the filtering configuration can be done via the servers web page it's easy to add sites to blocklists etc etc, you could if you wanted also via the web interface configure filtering or block internet access to blocks of IP's - ideal for exam time!

Cost = Nothing! all the software is free - I'd recommend sticking it on an old box if you have one, I have put this kind of system on one of the old RM SFF Dual Core machines - never had an issue.

6. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

ellisteph10 (11th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Since Smoothwall Guardian runs Squid too, and ellisteph is reporting issues with her smoothwall installation, squid might not prove to provide the funcationality needed. When you say your smoothwall refuses to work in what way is it broken? Have our support department had a crack at resolving it for you or are you looking for functionality we don't currently offer?

It is probably worth saying that Squid and Dansguardian together are simply an opensource version of Smoothwall with less functionality. Dansguardian IS Smoothwall Guardian. Or, rather, it is the foundation upon which Guardian has been built - Guardian functionality is greater than its opensource origins.
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 11th April 2012 at 09:04 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Since Smoothwall Guardian runs Squid too, and ellisteph is reporting issues with her smoothwall installation, squid might not prove to provide the funcationality needed. When you say your smoothwall refuses to work in what way is it broken? Have our support department had a crack at resolving it for you or are you looking for functionality we don't currently offer?
    I need Smoothwall working this week and I havent heard anything from Smoothwall support apart from this forum! I have basically rebuilt our network to suit Smoothwall and still it refuses to work. As no one is getting back to me about the issue I need something in place this week, ideally it will be Smoothwall but if no one gets back to me, I need to look at alternatives.

Thank Post
    Please PM me your school details, and if it is possible to make it work, we will do it - and I'm pretty sure it is!

Also if you have any Smoothwall support ticket IDs, those would be more than helpful.

We will solve this for you.

10. Thanks to tom_newton from:

ellisteph10 (12th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Are you on the way to having a solution for this? Seems hopeful from the update I got from support team.

Thank Post
    True to your word Tom it has been sorted. Thanks for your help and all other guys at Smoothwall.

13. Thanks to ellisteph10 from:

tom_newton (12th April 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread