+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Amounts of Spam in Technical; Not really a technical problem but just a query regarding spam amounts. Having taken over our our SMTP filtering from ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts

Amounts of Spam

Not really a technical problem but just a query regarding spam amounts. Having taken over our our SMTP filtering from the LEA I am actually shocked by the amounts of spam we are blocking! (which our smoothie is doing excellent at!)

Statistics (24 hours)
    Emails processed: 3815
    Delivered (clean):1415
    Rejected by RBL: 0
    Rejected as viruses:1
    Rejected as spam:2399

Having had a brief look at the mailbox which we are redirecting to it appears they are not false positives either! Is this normal or do we just happen to be on a load of spammers list?

Thank Post
    In the last 3 days at home my 1&1 email server has picked up some 30+ messages as spam just to one address! I did read something that it all depends on what letter your email address starts as to how much spam you get, not sure how true that is.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Totally normal, our spam load now is about 60% of all email down from 90% a couple of years ago. At least for us the botnet takedowns etc. have made a large difference. We are also with a large hosted email filtering company which seems to scare away plenty from the MX ip address alone.

One school was obviously on a hit lit for a while and actually blew the data cap just on incomming spam when it was locally hosted.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Totally normal, our spam load now is about 60% of all email down from 90% a couple of years ago. At least for us the botnet takedowns etc. have made a large difference. We are also with a large hosted email filtering company which seems to scare away plenty from the MX ip address alone.

One school was obviously on a hit lit for a while and actually blew the data cap just on incomming spam when it was locally hosted.
    The bottom part made me laugh! I think ours didn't help when the head told his PA to put all teachers email addresses on the website!

I always though the lea's spam filtering was useless by letting through 5/6 emails to everbody every now and then!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The % of spam is around 70% at our place but as you have said Smoothie does a great job at dealing with the little monkeys

Thank Post
    Live@Edu:FOPE gets you to some big numbers for the "Network" as opposed to your tenancy. There are more graphs and spam count recently spikes at around 900,000,000. When I first looked at this (a few times over a month end of last summer) the percentage was 80%+ so the current 70% is a significant reduction.

mailstats.png

Spam counts with graph set for 1 year apparently showing progress (B for billion):

spam365.png
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 1st April 2012 at 07:48 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread