+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Broadband provider . . Thinking of leaving BGFL for internet in Technical; Originally Posted by plexer There should be alternatives available as otherwise schools are being held hostage or unfairly restricted from ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    There should be alternatives available as otherwise schools are being held hostage or unfairly restricted from seeking alternative connections.

Ben
    There are free alternatives such as the S2S web site I posted earlier and I also understand that the authority policies allow the use of e-mail to transfer data (with appropriate security) and there may well be other options that the authority support. The Data Protection lead for the city can advice further on this (Bham schools can e-mail my work account for his contact details if the school don't already have them) and we are currently working with some schools and the authority to look at which option will work best for them.

What we haven't currently got is a supported solution for external schools to automatically transfer data securely to/from the local authority, obviously we are working on this to see what additional services we could provide to schools. However, as a provider to the local authority we have contractual and policy obligations that we need to comply with - the current (historic) VPN service is provided to allow staff to securely connect from home into the school network and when this was originally designed as a service it was signed of by the local authority and audit as complying with all the current regulations.

When we introduce a new service it will need to go through a similar process.

While the connectivity option may not be the cheapest available, part of the additional cost or value added is that it will give you automated data transfer to /from the city amongst other things.

Thank Post
    Working with schools? More like against

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chippo View Post
    Working with schools? More like against
    Care to elaborate?

Thank Post
    Sorry I won't be elaborating as I think this may have legal implications & is being taken to higher levels. I will say this many Birmingham schools are un-happy with Link2ICT & their reaction to schools finding best value alternatives.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I won't be elaborating as I think this may have legal implications & is being taken to higher levels. I will say this many Birmingham schools are un-happy with Link2ICT & their reaction to schools finding best value alternatives.
    We had the same reaction when we started looking for alternatives to SEGFL last year. In the end we just said we were leaving and got rid of it.

Best decision we made in a long time. We now get twice as good a service for half the price.

Thank Post
    We moved to EXA Networks last year with no real issues, you will need VPN connection to access the BGFL for FCS, CRISP, Knowledgebase,Zimbra admin,Policy Central etc..
    We still use Link2ICT for remote support, service desk, MIS.
    EXA have a special deal with ESET so your AV is also cheaper over 3 years.
    We had a demo of Progresso on our connection & the person giving it commented how quick it was compared to the BGfL.
    The filtering is easy to use & comes in the cost. There's obviously top level filtering & you can then add sites to the "White/Black List" as you require.

You will have scare tatics from Link2ICT but I can honestly say we've had no problems at all.
    Hi Chippo

Not sure if you will read this but can you possibly PM me with your details so that I can speak to you. We are a primary school looking to go with exanet and i just want to find out the exact process that you went through as well as see the VPN solution for FCS and CRISP.

Many thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123