+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Turning the internet off for specific users at a specific time .. in Technical; Right, so ok, this morning I've been instructed that I need to prepare the network (specifically the ICT Lab) for ...
    Thank Post

Turning the internet off for specific users at a specific time ..

Right, so ok, this morning I've been instructed that I need to prepare the network (specifically the ICT Lab) for an examination next Thursday/Friday.

I need to disallow most internet access 15 minutes into the exam, but keep alive the access to our LEA OWA for emails they need to send within the exam.

So, HOW THE .... DO I DO THAT?!

We use the CLEO NED Boxes for additional filtering classes with devolved filtering policies from Lancashire County and run 2008R2 DC with Windows 7 Client Machines. We don't currently have any tutor software on the network as the SLT didn't see we needed such things (though I might beat them around the head with the exam boards information on this all and ask for some money as that would be an easy way to do things).

Any suggestions on how to do this would be most welcome .. failing that I might just cry!

I'm going to start hunting around now to see what I can find too, but I thought someone might have a golden nugget of information on how they do it that they could share .. preferably for free, but if I need to spend money then I'll just have to put on my Oliver outfit and go with my begging bowl saying "please sir, can I have some more [money]"

Thanks all
    Andy T

Thank Post
    Done via GPO

Set the computer proxy to something other than you're web filtering solution - Restart the LAB 15 minutes before the exam, remove the GPO, restart the LAB after the exam.

Thank Post
    You could install ABTutor (30 day trial) - then create a policy to block all internet access, except for a whitelist of sites

4. Thanks to Dom_ from:

soveryapt (14th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMinister View Post
    Done via GPO

Set the computer proxy to something other than you're web filtering solution - Restart the LAB 15 minutes before the exam, remove the GPO, restart the LAB after the exam.
    Problem would be the access to the Outlook Web Access then .. plus they need access for the first 15minutes of the exam .. so that would mean restarting the computers during their exam ..

Thanks for the reply though ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    You could install ABTutor (30 day trial) - then create a policy to block all internet access, except for a whitelist of sites
    Ah! That might just work .. then I could even evidence it and show the SLT that actually, we DO need something like that! lol ..

Thank Post
    It will work ;-), I've done it before!

Test it beforehand though, you could even install it onto one of the invigilators machines and they can watch everyones screens during the exam

Thank Post
    Sorry. Read your original post wrong.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    It will work ;-), I've done it before!

Test it beforehand though, you could even install it onto one of the invigilators machines and they can watch everyones screens during the exam
    Indeedy .. is AB Tutor the one that does Mac and Windows machines (the crisis now is just PC machines, but we have a couple of Macs so I might as well look to get something that covers all of the schools devices .. lol ..)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMinister View Post
    Sorry. Read your original post wrong.
    That's ok .. I'm just glad of the response .. I do it all the time, you misread one or two words and it changes the whole issue ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    Indeedy .. is AB Tutor the one that does Mac and Windows machines (the crisis now is just PC machines, but we have a couple of Macs so I might as well look to get something that covers all of the schools devices .. lol ..)
    Not yet unfortunately:

"AB Tutor Control Mac Client will be out for beta testing in the very short future."

Classroom Management Software - Review

Thank Post
    I think it's LanSchool I'm thinking of ..

Thank Post
    Anyone used SMART Sync before? We have SMART Notebook software in the school and SMART Boards for our IWBs (sorry to the Promethean guys on here! lol) and I just wondered if there are any thoughts. They offer a 30-day free trial too so I might download it and see if it does what we want, but they also support Mac as well as PC (as does LanSchool) but the SMART Product seems a bit easier to make sense of.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This was probably the biggest advantage from setting up our own internal proxy in that it allows us to control outgoing traffic with ease (logging by AD name is also nice). A couple of lines worth of config in Squid and we've got filtering based on AD group membership. The same could also be done with ISA if Windows is your choice.

Kids are crafty though. In our district they're limited users and we've got them locked down as far as we can before the computers would be rendered useless in terms of usability. They come in with portable versions of Firefox on USB sticks, use anonymous proxy websites that our content filter seems to miss, and I've even seen software that the students can run on the local machine that doesn't require admin privileges that will bypass system proxy settings in IE. When it came time for online ACT testing we had to ensure the kids could use the PC, but have no access to the Net. If even one student slipped through, the entire room's test scores would be invalidated and the testing board would come down on us. So we logged the machines in the night before to cache the account credentials and that morning I pulled power from the IDF.

Good luck!

15. Thanks to Duke5A from:

Thank Post
    Indeed .. I'd be pulling cables if it wasn't for that initial 15 mins of access required and the fact that our email system is web based so they need access to that throughout the exam! Fun times! :/

Thank Post
    Anyone used SMART Sync before?
    We have the 2009 version and it's a crashy, inconsistent PITA. I hate it and would gladly swap it for any other classsroom mgmt app. It's awkward to setup and requires keys to be activated for reinstalls - even on the same machine. The website is a bear to find support on - and what you do find often doesn't answer your question. Not much on google search either. You have to call an 0845 number to talk to their distributor. To be fair, they can be quite helpful. Otherwise - AVOID AVOID AVOID!

18. Thanks to mats from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast