+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Kindle/Smoothwall/ISA What the....? in Technical; Hi We are looking at using 30 WiFi Kindles in our school. (don't go there!!) We currently provide internet to ...

Thank Post

Kindle/Smoothwall/ISA What the....?

Hi

We are looking at using 30 WiFi Kindles in our school. (don't go there!!)

We currently provide internet to pupils via our ISA server, as you will all no doubt know, the kindle is unable to support Proxy Server Settings.

I have seen other posts about users putting in a transparent proxy (smoothwall) in and simply setting the gateway to the kindles as the IP of the smoothwall.

My question is this, would it be worth me installing a smoothwall box with a Wifi AP in the Green, and plug the red onto the LAN?

Has anyone had this type of situation and how did you resolve it?

Paul

Thank Post
    Do you need your kindle to get to the internet? You can download the books and then push them via USB.

With kindles not being HTTP (but they use the ports!) you basically need to poke a hole in your firewall for them which is a bit of a sod.

Thank Post
    From what I have read on kindle forums, the device needs to be registered and the software does not work through proxy servers. I also worry about the fact that the kindles are designed as single user devices and we plan on loaning them out to different pupils.

But, the main thing is getting books on them. The K4PC application also seems to have issues with proxies, and as I said I do not intend taking them all hoem to register them.

Paul

Thank Post
    The problem is that you can't (AFAIK) transparently proxy HTTPS which is what they need to connect to their homeworld (same reason Android Market wouldn't work on a device that didn't support proxy settings) . I tried this a while ago - thread is here: Smoothwall Express - Have I got this right?
    and this one is related too: Amazon Kindle
    Last edited by BatchFile; 1st March 2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added links to existing threads

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread