+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Broadband Provider in Technical; Hi All, I currently have the task of finding a broadband provider for our School as we are soon to ...
  1. #1
    dan41322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    44
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Question Broadband Provider

    Hi All,

    I currently have the task of finding a broadband provider for our School as we are soon to be pulling out of the LEA. Just wondering what you are all using and whether its cost effective & Reliable? I already have the Firewall & Filtering sorted.

    Thanks

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    340

  3. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

    dan41322 (16th January 2012)

  4. #3

    Oaktech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    3,095
    Thank Post
    885
    Thanked 609 Times in 478 Posts
    Rep Power
    281
    We will be doing this shortly too. at the moment our preferred option is virgin's 100mb uncontended offering withVaridion as our filtering provider using a palo alto filter.

  5. #4
    dan41322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    44
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    We are only a Primary School so I need to keep the Costs low.. I have been debating over ADSL & Fiber. I know in this day and age we should be sticking with Fiber but the cost just seems a bit much for us!! I have been reading the posts CyberNerd posted for me. I am wondering whether 2 ADSL lines might be enough for us?! We have 300 Kids on role here.. Worst case there will be about 80 users at one time.. but I would say it would be about 40-50 average day to day.

    Any other views on where I could go or what I could try?

    Thanks

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    914
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 184 Times in 159 Posts
    Rep Power
    55
    we went with BT, no complaints, they've been brilliant

  7. #6


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by dan41322 View Post
    We are only a Primary School so I need to keep the Costs low.. I have been debating over ADSL & Fiber. I know in this day and age we should be sticking with Fiber but the cost just seems a bit much for us!! I have been reading the posts CyberNerd posted for me. I am wondering whether 2 ADSL lines might be enough for us?! We have 300 Kids on role here.. Worst case there will be about 80 users at one time.. but I would say it would be about 40-50 average day to day.

    Any other views on where I could go or what I could try?

    Thanks
    See if you can get EFM (ethernet first mile) in your area. They are relatively cheap compared to fibre - around £4k for 10Mb/s

  8. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

    dan41322 (16th January 2012)

  9. #7

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    10,038
    Thank Post
    1,373
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    609
    Work backwards from the educational needs down to the tech needed to deliver it. You said you have firewall and filter sorted ... presumably that is web filtering? What email requirements are there for staff and for students? How will it be filtered? Do you need web hosting? video Conferencing?

  10. #8
    dan41322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    44
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    See if you can get EFM (ethernet first mile) in your area. They are relatively cheap compared to fibre - around £4k for 10Mb/s
    Do you know what kind of companies I could look at for that?

  11. #9


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by dan41322 View Post
    Do you know what kind of companies I could look at for that?
    Vaioni certainly do them:
    Leased Lines, EFM, Wide Area Networks and Managed Security

    I guess most ISP's could offer it.

  12. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

    dan41322 (16th January 2012)

  13. #10
    dan41322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    44
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Work backwards from the educational needs down to the tech needed to deliver it. You said you have firewall and filter sorted ... presumably that is web filtering? What email requirements are there for staff and for students? How will it be filtered? Do you need web hosting? video Conferencing?
    Firewall, WebFilter & VPN Sorted with a Sonicwall box. E-mail is being done with Google Apps. Web Hosting is also outsourced, no need for video conferencing.

    The only main bulk of it will be Internet Access and VPN access back to the School.

  14. #11
    dan41322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    44
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Vaioni certainly do them:
    Leased Lines, EFM, Wide Area Networks and Managed Security

    I guess most ISP's could offer it.
    Just dropped them a line now... They are gonna get something to me today.

    Thanks for your help man

  15. #12

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    10,038
    Thank Post
    1,373
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by dan41322 View Post
    Firewall, WebFilter & VPN Sorted with a Sonicwall box. E-mail is being done with Google Apps. Web Hosting is also outsourced, no need for video conferencing.

    The only main bulk of it will be Internet Access and VPN access back to the School.
    What are they going to be using the connection for? Are they only using Google for email? Any plans to make more use of Google Apps for Education? Is there a VLE? What are the schools plans on Parental engagement? How much work will be published / shared online? Are you in a rural area and might there be a need for community connections?

  16. #13

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,336
    Thank Post
    404
    Thanked 650 Times in 594 Posts
    Rep Power
    188
    GlobalAXS are worth contacting too.

  17. #14

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,261
    Thank Post
    937
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    701
    Just to chip in, Vaioni have worked well for us for the last year, no complaints about the provision or service at all

  18. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

    dan41322 (17th January 2012)

  19. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    889
    Thank Post
    94
    Thanked 165 Times in 140 Posts
    Rep Power
    50
    Been through same exercise myself.

    We have gone with Lancaster University Network Services LUNS

    Though I did get pricing from GlobalAXS, BT, Virgin, Eclipse and RM as well.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Broadband Providers
    By gselliott in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12th July 2011, 10:37 PM
  2. Broadband provider
    By R_1 in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 18th March 2011, 07:34 AM
  3. School Provide Own Broadband
    By monkeyx in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19th July 2010, 10:08 AM
  4. Which Home Broadband provider?
    By ChrisH in forum General Chat
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 7th December 2007, 02:50 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •