+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, OpenDNS Guest Wireless in Technical; Hi, We wish to provide some level of filtering to our guest wireless. At the moment the session ID is ...

Thank Post

OpenDNS Guest Wireless

Hi,

We wish to provide some level of filtering to our guest wireless. At the moment the session ID is operational with a WPA2 key and unfiltered access. The guest access is provided through our Cisco Wism controllers where DHCP is also handled. The DNS for this range is ciurrently set for Googles DNS and our TMG box has a rule which allows the traffic through with no restriction, bypassing our nternal Proxy. For ease of access, i just want the same setup where we do not have to enter a proxy address, but would like some level of filtering to cover my back.

For the filtering, im looking at OpenDNS which i use at home for my son. On his laptop and ipod, i have set the DNS manually to OpenDNS servers so that he has a level of filtering on the internet, but i do not have this from my phone and laptop. At the moment, the school line is provided through Virign and the DNS used is Googles DNS. For my test, i have tried entering the OpenDNS address to a laptop on the guest wireless, but as soon as i refresh the adapter settings, the internet access is lost.

My thoughts are that there is an issue with the DNS addresses being used, but i cannot understand why the google DNS on the external connection would kill the DNS trying to be used on the laptop as this is the same setup i have at home, except mine works.

Any thoughts? I am open to other ways of getting this resolved

Thank Post
    Is port 53 blocked outbound? Hence you can get DNS but only if you use the local DNS proxy?

I take it by "internet access is lost" you mean "i can no longer resolve hostnames" rather than something altogether more cataclysmic

(hostnames still considered a luxury item here in Yorkshire )

Thank Post
    Port 53 has been given outbound access in the protocols, and yes we are unable to resolve hostnames. We can however still get to websites using their IP address

Thank Post
    this has now been resolved. An ACL had been applied to the CISCO VLAN. OpenDNS has now been allowed through

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread