+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Live@Edu Exchange Management Console in Technical; I've been tooling around with Small Business Server 2011, and just as a thought I tried using Exchange Management Console ...
    Thank Post

Live@Edu Exchange Management Console

I've been tooling around with Small Business Server 2011, and just as a thought I tried using Exchange Management Console (2010) to connect to my Live@Edu forest.

And it worked! Either I've been exceptionally ignorant or Microsoft haven't publicised this as well as they could have. The one major thing that I found missing from Live@Edu was the GUI management console, as PowerShell can be a bit of a pain at times.

Did anyone else know that this worked?!

Thank Post
    Sounds very interesting - excuse my ignorance whilst I go and look up more about Exchange Management Console!!

Thank Post
    Haven't seen much about it anywhere but knew that was supposed to work and nearly tried it earlier this year (2011). Gave up because the EMC won't install on a standalone Win7(64) where I wanted it and never got around to downloading the MS Exchange demo VHD.

If anyone has played lots, I wanted to see what you could and couldn't do with a claimed feature: Moving a mailbox from one forest to another?

I'm not optimistic, but it would be cool if you could persuade it to move a mailbox from one Live@Edu tenancy to another without too much tech effort... have done this with Outlook export and import which works, but that's a bit of a pain.

Thank Post
    I've played a little now (added my desired Win7 to a virtual domain, just a DC+E2K10 like the MS demo VHD, installed EMC, then threw the domain away).

You can connect to multiple Live@edu tenancies and it remembers them (and optionally the credentials), but same as I've previously found so far in powershell with new-moverequest, you can't move a mailbox directly between tenancies.. mailbox moving is strictly tenancy<->on-premises only. That aside, I think it's useful because it does make some of the geekier powershell stuff you might want to get involved with easier to handle e.g. displays some info prettily, makes some configuration easier. Has little padlocks on all the fields you can't change (because it is Live@Edu).

Raw, rather than this EMC abstracted powershell, is still the place for lots of things though, not least bulk changes. Not sure whether I'll use EMC much if at all, but reckon it's worth having in your "toolbox".

Thank Post
    Thanks for the update, I'm now going to find a machine I can put 64bit Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 on to try this out!

Thank Post
    Again it's got to be in a domain to install the Management Tools. Not sure if that has to be a domain with Exchange.. or what it does if Exchange isn't there yet e.g. it *might* do the schema updates etc.

More observations:

- You can *not* obviously use EMC to create new Live@Edu mailbox users, contacts or distribution groups.
    - You can make new dynamic distribution groups, fiddle with a lot of existing mailbox attributes (including full access, send on behalf, whether they can do POP3, IMAP, MAPI etc), contacts, adjust normal distribution group memberships, make new transport and journal rules etc.
    - Interestingly the SP2 EMC doesn't expose those new extended custom attributes (multi as opposed to single value) we're all supposed to be in love with now.
    - It caches some info, so you'll need to hit refresh if, for instance, you make new Live@Edu users with remote powershell or the Live@Edu ECP.

Would be quite cool if MS pulled fingers out of the obsessive shared address space federated wotsit world and made a version of EMC that: a) is easily installable and doesn't pine for an on-permises Exchange, b) added ability to create new users etc, c) Gave you some useful links that use stored credentials to get you past the LiveID login straight into the ECP, or straight into a logged in remote powershell console.

Thank Post
    Of the existing mailbox attributes - are there any you can manipulate that are *not* available in the web interface, of particular interest to me is the one that I think is called Name (as when I create these via CSV I use it for the student ID, but when I create an account from the web interface its not displayed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nadeem View Post
    of particular interest to me is the one that I think is called Name (as when I create these via CSV I use it for the student ID, but when I create an account from the web interface its not displayed.
    Looks like you can change that with EMC, but it's really not something I care about. Without verifying everything, IIRC the following account creation fields get used in several places like this:

CSV "Name" -> AD Name. CN, DisplayName (unless you've also used the optional DisplayName column in the CSV)
    ECP "Display name" -> AD Name. CN, DisplayName

Their use for CN alone tells you why they have be unique in their respective contexts. The ECP behaviour tells you why the MS recipe for CSV import effectively encourages you to stuff a display name in the Name column i.e. it makes it consistent with any mailboxes you create in the ECP.

You could have cumulative hours of fun keeping all these and some other name-ish fields perfect and consistent with some strategy or other, but to what end? So long as their windowsliveid/mail address(es) and group memberships are OK I'm happy I can conveniently get to and admin any set of mailboxes I want (in powershell obviously).

Thank Post
    Thank for the update, as I said I use the Name field for student ID, so it does have a benefit for me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nadeem View Post
    Thank for the update, as I said I use the Name field for student ID, so it does have a benefit for me.
    OK, but I was angling at reasons why adding data on X, Y & Z would be beneficial in terms of your 'workflow' etc. I'm not saying anything is absolutely right or wrong, just interested in how folk are doing things. In this case I assume "student id" is a key to some MIS system record, and rather then put that in the Live@Edu record I'd probably want to put the Live@Edu mail address in the MIS record. But maybe you can't easily get to an MIS record via a mail address or, my assumption is wrong or something.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread