+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Everybody likes free things! in Technical; Hey folks, If any of you are in the process of deploying Live@edu and want some materials to help you ...
    Thank Post

Everybody likes free things!

Hey folks,

If any of you are in the process of deploying Live@edu and want some materials to help you along, including physical resources to help you promote the service I thought I'd let you know about the deployment and marketing kits we've produced.

I put a blog post up today with details on how you can get one for your school, college or university.

The kits contain:

• A USB memory stick, containing:

• Live@edu Co-branding Guide
      • Live@edu Deployment Checklist
      • Live@edu Top 10 for Deployment
      • Live@edu Cost Saving Calculator
      • Building Live@edu Into School Portal
      • Live@edu Single Sign On Kit
      • and more!

• Posters

• Window Clings
      • Pencil Tubes
      • Bookmarks
      • Notepads
      • Pens
      • Monitor Hangers
      • Table Tents

I've heard they make great stocking fillers!

2. 2 Thanks to jamesbmarshall:

GrumbleDook (19th December 2011), Sylv3r (20th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Awesome Share Thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanks - I dropped an e-mail through this morning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Will you have any which can be picked up by those attending BETT?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,647 Times in 2,249 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    • A USB memory stick, containing:

• Live@edu Co-branding Guide
      • Live@edu Deployment Checklist
      • Live@edu Top 10 for Deployment
      • Live@edu Cost Saving Calculator
      • Building Live@edu Into School Portal
      • Live@edu Single Sign On Kit
      • … and more!

These bits available online, MS NZ no longer has people that handle stuff like this, If I didn't know better I'd suspect they only had a couple of staff here total.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Will you have any which can be picked up by those attending BETT?
    I'm sure we'll be able to bring a few along - we don't have a lot of storage space at BETT, so even if we don't have the physical kits on the stand we can certainly take details and make sure they're sent after the show!

8. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

GrumbleDook (21st December 2011)

Thank Post
    ::sob:: It's one of those "offer applies to new customers only" things isn't it? I think you should hunt down and send folk who do the real work (as opposed to evil delegators) a cutely customised arc mouse or something on their tenancy's anniversary.

Nope? OK then I'll settle for vigorous effort in enhancing MS->Techmarine communications clarity. I genuinely like Live@Edu and if you're not too ambitious you can happily just use it without caring much, but otherwise picking out reliable, current, useful information on **the Live@Edu you've got right now** from the Live@edu/Windows Live/Office365/Forum/Blog-here/FAQ-there infoverse has been a teensy bit challenging at various times during 2011. Sure having all those docs rounded up on a penstick or skydrive *is* a good start, but some of them need a refresh to get rid of confusing dead wood etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    ::sob:: It's one of those "offer applies to new customers only" things isn't it?
    Not necessarily - as well as the kits containing deployment information, they've also got marketing stuff in. If you are struggling to promote the services across your school and want some physical resources to help with that then still drop us a mail. I am not the keeper of the kits myself, but colleagues in my team will always get back to you.

Sure having all those docs rounded up on a penstick or skydrive *is* a good start, but some of them need a refresh to get rid of confusing dead wood etc.
    That's good feedback. Generally speaking, if it is on an official platform (i.e. help.outlook.com, microsoft.com, etc.) then it is usually kept as up to date as possible by our tech writers. Obviously blog and forum content will always be superseded as new information becomes available, but that's just the way those things work. Live@edu has been around a while now, and it's had a lot of improvements over the years - there's a lot of documentation to keep up to date!

I'd like to think that, in the UK at least, we're an approachable team so if you ever had any questions that our various websites can't answer you could tweet me, email me or give me a call and we'd be able to find an answer.

Thank Post
    If you are struggling to promote the services across your school and want some physical resources to help with that then still drop us a mail.
    I'm not, but since I'm hijacking this I'll *bump* that point anyway

there's a lot of documentation to keep up to date!
    Take a hint from the raison d'etre for the implementation guide in your kit and for that matter some of your output i.e. it's not necessarily the right kind of documentation.

In the last decade or so if you wanted to do something on Exchange you could: a) spend ages trying to distill the recipe from formal MS reference docs and probably fail, b) fire off a net-search and arrive at some near-perfect recipe with pretty screenshots at a site like petri.co.il and usually succeed. For some reason Live@Edu doesn't seem to encourage much of the latter [although @RabbieBurns did it for ILM on here]. Dunno whether it's simply because fewer competent folk are playing with it in depth, whether they have commercial reasons to keep relevant wisdom to themselves, or what. It's a similar landscape on the outlookliveanswers forums.. people turn up there with problems, but there's not obviously many wandering by with solutions.. Steve Goodman clearly did that for a while, but the average MS response (if they're made to any non-trivial query) just isn't that great.

Again I do like Live@Edu, set it up, make mailboxes, contacts a few DGs etc and it's all hunky dory, but if you dive in deeper then keeping up with current capabilities, good stategies for doing X or Y, seems to take a little too much effort.

You can try it with a reasonably obvious "X" that's crossed my radar a few times: "I want to move everything from our half-dead ancient Exchange 2003 box and just use Live@Edu instead". See if you can point to a decent recipe for that and note you're not allowed to add new boxes/stuff coz they don't have the budget.

12. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

RabbieBurns (24th December 2011)

Thank Post
    My box arrived today - thanks for getting it sent out so quick.

Thank Post
    Are these still available? We are looking to move to a online based system but I am keen to know about staff training and also how easy it is to migrate.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenmcginnis View Post
    Are these still available?
    Best bet is to drop us an email. They have been very popular, but there might be some still available!

Thank Post
    Take a hint from the raison d'etre for the implementation guide in your kit and for that matter some of your output i.e. it's not necessarily the right kind of documentation.
    You say it's not the right kind, so what sort of things would you like to see? What would be useful?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    You say it's not the right kind, so what sort of things would you like to see? What would be useful?
    Examplars.

[That get updated as the capabilities evolve]

I'll use the easiest case, a complete config walk-through for typical Primary which implements all the obvious stuff: enroll domain.. make a school calendar and three groups for reviewer, author, editor... rules so mail from The Government[tm] bypasses Junkmail and optionally repeat for LA and perhaps <county>.sch.uk and/or sch.uk (schools nonsensically abandoning that really are a complete PITA).. make 'all users', 'all staff', 'all students' groups with the obvious send to restrictions.. make a disclaimer (initially disabled, but text can simply be changed to suit then turned on).. prevent Recipient Management role from being able to touch Administrator account then you can get the school office MIS record creator simultaneously making new accounts on Live@Edu.. turn on closed campus and bypass it for 'all staff'... etc.

You could of course give them less than 20 lines of powershell to do all of that in minutes, but then they wouldn't learn anything to adapt for future use. The only bit I've mentioned where there's much of a debate to be had is whether to get them using custom attributes during account creation and thus use some DDGs.. I'd prefer that and I'd like a link to AD accounts, but lack of access to custom attributes in the ECP essentially kills it and regardless it's probably mostly pointless at the smaller end of the scale.

Next: Secondary without FIM.. recipe caters for more of everything, custom attributes and the extended ones for DDGs and selective access, plus an AD link (samAccountName or perhaps AD object GUID) are your friend etc.

Next: Secondary with FIM.

PS: Migration of content to Live@Edu mailboxes doens't go in these these, because that part obviously varies. Nor is branding, fiddling with OWA for the same reason, although turning off the MSN et al links is probably the best default.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 29th January 2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: PS:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread