+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Youtube for schools - how can teachers search for clips on edu while on full youtube? in Technical; Hmm, Our staff go through a different filter to our students so that they have full youtube access rather than ...
    Thank Post

Youtube for schools - how can teachers search for clips on edu while on full youtube?

Hmm, Our staff go through a different filter to our students so that they have full youtube access rather than being redirected to the education version.
    The problem with this is that they want to link to videos on our VLE but don't know if that particular video is available via the education version.
    Does anyone know if there is a search filter that would only show results from the education version or an alternative method of how we could do this?
    I am currently googling furiously but with no answers so far!

Thank Post
    Just to clarify, I know I can search while on the education site for videos BUT I don't know how a user who already has a clip knows how to check if that is already in the education section!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Don't know but you can always add the clip to your edu channel as the admin.

Ben

Thank Post
    I'm currently playing around with adding clips. Not sure how once you have added the clip the users find it. Would it then appear in searches by the user?

OB1

Thank Post
    I believe the admin's channel is accessible by everyone using the header associated with that account.
    So if the header is associated with username YourSchoolAdmin, heading to youtube.com/YourSchoolAdmin or youtube.com/user/YourSchoolAdmin (youtube seems to choose randomly which one you get) should bring up the appropriate channel, complete with playlists.
    The channel names are case sensitive.

Thank Post
    How is everyone using this? Have you given your teachers access to the admin account username/password for them to create playlists?

I can't see any other way to do it? What's the point of allowing their personal accounts access if they can't add videos to the admin playlist from them?

OB1

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ben604 View Post
    How is everyone using this? Have you given your teachers access to the admin account username/password for them to create playlists?

I can't see any other way to do it? What's the point of allowing their personal accounts access if they can't add videos to the admin playlist from them?
    Hi ben604.
    If you log in with your school's youtube account head to http://www.youtube.com/account_school, there is an option to give additional youtube usernames access to the account.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
    Hi ben604.
    If you log in with your school's youtube account head to http://www.youtube.com/account_school, there is an option to give additional youtube usernames access to the account.
    Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about the "Authorized Users" bit? That seems to only allow the users listed to have full access to youtube (if you were filtering all the users within the school to the EDU site, we're only filtering the student accounts - staff have full access anyway).

I've had a fiddle, made a test account and added that to the Authorized Users, but couldn't see how to add videos to the admin account's playlist for the students to view?

OB1

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ben604 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about the "Authorized Users" bit? That seems to only allow the users listed to have full access to youtube (if you were filtering all the users within the school to the EDU site, we're only filtering the student accounts - staff have full access anyway).

I've had a fiddle, made a test account and added that to the Authorized Users, but couldn't see how to add videos to the admin account's playlist for the students to view?
    Ah, that would be me misreading youtube's literature then.
    It seems only the channel owner can add videos, so the only option would be to give teachers access to that account.
    My apologies.

Thank Post
    Hers another complete pain to go with this...

If a student browses to youtube.com/prentonhighschool (as they can go to youtube.com/prentonteacher because all thier videos are blocked??) the students can't click on the playlist that we have created as they are still blocked!
    The only way a student can access an authorised video is by being given the link directly or if they browse to youtube.com/prentonhighschool and the video has just been added.

Surely this can't be right

How are other people unblocking certain "uesful" videos.

Thanks

Gaz

Thank Post
    Are people still having problems with the playlists? I've made a playlist but I've no idea how YouTube expect a student to find the playlist.
    If they go to youtube.com/schoolname or youtube.com/accountname they get either a 404 or permission denied.

I was expecting our channel to be added to YouTube EDU so that the students can just browse to our channel and view the playlists.

As reggiep says they can only view a video if they are given a direct link.
    Last edited by Gaz; 3rd May 2012 at 11:40 AM.

Thank Post
    I have been waiting for an answer from google support since the beginning of January! They occasionally tell me they are looking in to it but have had no solutions.

Gaz

Thank Post
    Damn annoying! This has so much potential but its riddled with flaws. They could at least slap a "beta" sticker on it to save face.

Thank Post
    I take it that you guys all have access to your own router? Ours is managed by SEGFL so we cannot even offer Youtube education as a result of which I spend a lot of time blocking and unblocking you tube on RMs crappy safetynet or have you a better solution? I was considering seeting up an internal squid proxy and and enabling youtube on RMs but it might be a lot of fiddling and may still not work - unless you know better?

Gaz

Thank Post
    I think the majority of users on here use Smoothwall content filtering. It should give you the flexability you need to allow youtube edu access. As well as all round awesomeness.
    Last edited by Gaz; 3rd May 2012 at 12:34 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast