+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, YouTube for Schools launched in Technical; Originally Posted by User3204 Did people sort out the invisible channels / playlists ? I've joined up and created a ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    Did people sort out the invisible channels / playlists ?

I've joined up and created a channel and a playlist for the school, but can't seem to find them at all.

The rest of it is working,all nicely blocking away the annoying stuff, although staf fhave already asked why they can't get to the things they've put up themselves. Do they need to all create a YouTube account ?
    Oooh, I've sorted this for our school.
    It wasn't very obvious, but I was editting the pages to make it look pretty.

I created a user shared area so now we have www.youtube.com/user/schoolname, within this I created a playlist, which wasn't working.

But when I then changed the settings on the www.youtube.com/user/schoolname page so that the default was the 'videos' rather than the 'feeds', suddenly when I loaded up the www.youtube.com/user/schoolname it showed up, whereas when it was on 'feeds' I just got an error that stated I wasn't allowed to view the page because we'd signed up to the youtube for schools service.

Now I just have to create a polite email to the teachers telling them how it all works.
    Although, the students have now been able to access youtube for about 6 hours, and they managed to find it very quickly. I've already had a teacher complining that youtube is now useless for them....

OB1

Thank Post
    Hi All.
    The links below will be useful for those of you setting this up.

Youtube For Schools Access guide
    This explains which domains to allow and how to format the header you need to insert.

This link highlights a couple of known issues and workarounds should you encounter them.

3. Thanks to OB1 from:

speckytecky (30th April 2012)

Thank Post
    I don't suppose anyone knows how to lock BBC worldwide out ?
    There's too much comedy in there.

Thank Post
    Hi guys

We're struggling to block https://www.youtube.com on our Smoothwall. The header override works fine though! Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Hi skell,

Forgive me if I'm being slow on the uptake, but what's your objective?

Thank Post
    To block https://www.youtube.com as this allows the students to use youtube unfiltered as the header re-write only seems to apply to YouTube - Broadcast Yourself

Thank Post
    Okay, there are two ways to approach this.

The first thing I'd suggest is to look into HTTPS Interception. With this set up you'll be able to apply the header modification on both HTTP and HTTPS in just the same way.

Or, as you suggest, you can block the HTTPS version entirely. You would have to do this with a URL regex, which can match the protocol. In many ways this is the poor cousin of "proper" interception - it's likely to break features on Youtube, and has a fair to middling potential to confuse your users.

Feel free to follow this up in the Direct Support forum, or a PM, or contact our Support guys. I don't want to drag this thread too much OT

Thank Post
    Hi Ian, I am interested in your ISAPI webfilter in order to use it with our TMG installation. Post 1

Thank Post
    Well, my second post to allow send a PM

Thank Post
    Or it would do if it worked properly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    For anyone using MS Forefront TMG (2010), I have written a ISAPI webfilter that will enable this feature. It also enforces Safety Mode, if required, for staff who have an authorised, unrestricted YouTube account.

Although I have written this for TMG, it should be easy enough to adapt to work on ISA 2004 / 6 (32 bit platforms).

If you would like a copy, send me a PM and I'll fire it off to you!

Iain.
    Can you PM me a copy of this?

Thank Post
    Second post to allow PM

Thank Post
    Right... I've got the Youtube header modification Smoothwall rule working for students. Now a few questions on how to manage Youtube Education.

How do we actually manage Youtube Education? I've created a Google & Youtube account. During the account creation there was the opportunity to add the name of another account to administer it, but I can't see any way of doing that now. I'd like teachers to create their own Youtube accounts, then I could add them to the school 'account'. Or I could just give them all the username and password for the account - not ideal.

How do I manage the school's Youtube account. Is there such a thing?

Should the header mod be applied to all users, or just students? As I see it, if staff log into Youtube with the account I've created, they don't need the header mod.

If I log onto Youtube with the administrative account, I can add a video to a playlist so students can watch it. This is good, but not what I was expecting. I just want them to see a channel for our school - is this possible?

Thank Post
    deleted - posted twice
    Last edited by OverWorked; 20th April 2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: posted twice

OB1

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked View Post
    I've created a Google & Youtube account. During the account creation there was the opportunity to add the name of another account to administer it, but I can't see any way of doing that now. I'd like teachers to create their own Youtube accounts, then I could add them to the school 'account'. Or I could just give them all the username and password for the account - not ideal.
    Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/account_school while logged in on the school account. You can add accounts near the top of the page.

How do I manage the school's Youtube account. Is there such a thing?
    Not sure I'm following you here. You can manage the account associated with your header string just like any other.

Should the header mod be applied to all users, or just students? As I see it, if staff log into Youtube with the account I've created, they don't need the header mod.
    The header mod stops you logging in to youtube, so if you want staff to be able to add things to playlists so they are visible to students, you'll have to exempt them from the rule.

If I log onto Youtube with the administrative account, I can add a video to a playlist so students can watch it. This is good, but not what I was expecting. I just want them to see a channel for our school - is this possible?
    I've had a look into this and the only way to do it would be to redirect users from youtube.com to youtube.com/user/accountname. This creates some issues with the education header, with users getting dumped to youtube's blockpage. If IE is your browser of choice you can add a bookmark via GPO I believe, or just add a shortcut.
    For more info, see Their FAQ.
    Last edited by OB1; 20th April 2012 at 02:33 PM.

17. Thanks to OB1 from:

OverWorked (20th April 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast