+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 202
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, YouTube for Schools launched in Technical; Originally Posted by Driver I got Dansguardian working via the URL rewrite hack. Edit /etc/dansguardian/lists/urlregexplist and add the following: "(^http://[^/]*\.youtube\.[^?]*\?)(.+&)?(edufilter=[^&]*)"->"
" ...
  1. #91

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    I got Dansguardian working via the URL rewrite hack.

    Edit /etc/dansguardian/lists/urlregexplist and add the following:

    "(^http://[^/]*\.youtube\.[^?]*\?)(.+&)?(edufilter=[^&]*)"->"\1\2"
    "(^http://[^/]*\.youtube\.[^?]*\?)"->"\1edufilter=yourkeygoeshere&"
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Just a word of advice for those opening up youtube. Make sure you have https covered (your filter may not be doing the required transforms for youtubes secure site), and do this in a phased way - open up staff (if they weren't already) first, or an older group of students, or a single room.

    Talking with some of the great and the good in education it seems there's a lot of "buzz" about this feature, and some of you will probably come under pressure from teaching staff who "get it" in the new year. I know you will be cautious, but I just thought i'd add a reminder for those still full of xmas spirit come the new term...
    You need to stick this in your squid.conf config to stop https traffic to youtube.com as dansguardian doesn't seem to apply the urlregexplist to https traffic.

    # Deny CONNECT to youtube.com - make sure you put this in bellow the acl CONNECT method CONNECT line
    acl youtube dstdomain .youtube.com
    http_access deny youtube CONNECT
    Thanks for finding the regexpression driver and thanks to tom for pointing out the loophole on secure port
    Last edited by bigal06; 3rd February 2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Lots of editing

  2. Thanks to bigal06 from:

    henselkp2001 (16th May 2013)

  3. #92
    ben604's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    314
    Thank Post
    81
    Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    We're using this here through our Censornet box. It works up to a point. We can unlock videos by adding them to playlists within our Admin account, but the only way students can view those videos, as far as we can tell, is by a direct link to that exact video. We're doing this through Moodle, not necessarily a bad thing as it forces the departments to use it(!), but it would also be beneficial for students to view the Admin playlists, for quick access to videos, but at the moment, you can't browse playlists as it says it's blocked by the administrator of the education account!

    Anyone got a work around?

  4. #93

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ben604 View Post
    We're using this here through our Censornet box. It works up to a point. We can unlock videos by adding them to playlists within our Admin account, but the only way students can view those videos, as far as we can tell, is by a direct link to that exact video. We're doing this through Moodle, not necessarily a bad thing as it forces the departments to use it(!), but it would also be beneficial for students to view the Admin playlists, for quick access to videos, but at the moment, you can't browse playlists as it says it's blocked by the administrator of the education account!

    Anyone got a work around?
    I too noticed this and thought it was something I was doing wrong. I point youtube.com to our channel http://www.youtube.com/user/<YourChannelName>/videos (where <YourChannelName> is your school account. They can view the clips to the right as you say but not the playlist links!
    Last edited by bigal06; 3rd February 2012 at 09:39 AM.

  5. Thanks to bigal06 from:

    ben604 (8th February 2012)

  6. #94

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,362
    Thank Post
    1,499
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Rep Power
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by ben604 View Post
    We're using this here through our Censornet box. It works up to a point. We can unlock videos by adding them to playlists within our Admin account, but the only way students can view those videos, as far as we can tell, is by a direct link to that exact video. We're doing this through Moodle, not necessarily a bad thing as it forces the departments to use it(!), but it would also be beneficial for students to view the Admin playlists, for quick access to videos, but at the moment, you can't browse playlists as it says it's blocked by the administrator of the education account!

    Anyone got a work around?
    Indeed the documentation implys exactly what you are suggesting yet it doesn't work and we are having to do what you are doing. So yes it will boost our Moodle usage which is good but its not as easy as just go to the KS3 Science play list which is what I was expecting.

    I do have to say though that I am impressed with it so far its working great with our pilot area and with the Smoothie so top marks to Google and Smoothwall

  7. 2 Thanks to john:

    ben604 (8th February 2012), tom_newton (8th February 2012)

  8. #95

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    We have Youtube education working well with our DansGuardian and IPcop setup. However we have noticed that students can access Youtube user pages if they know the username for another youtube account example "youtube.com/user/bluexephos" This shows the youtube users main page/background and plays the current video even with the education block on. Links to other videos and playlists from this user are blocked. Does anyone else see this? Any Ideas how I could solve it or would i need to contact youtube regarding it.

  9. #96

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,029
    Thank Post
    887
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
    We have Youtube education working well with our DansGuardian and IPcop setup. However we have noticed that students can access Youtube user pages if they know the username for another youtube account example "youtube.com/user/bluexephos" This shows the youtube users main page/background and plays the current video even with the education block on. Links to other videos and playlists from this user are blocked. Does anyone else see this? Any Ideas how I could solve it or would i need to contact youtube regarding it.
    Not seeing that here using Smoothwall G3 - getting the standard error about "not been approved by your school", so sounds like it's something your end - possibly not inserting the header correctly on some pages?


    Also - everything is pretty much working for us, except the CSS doesn't seem to be loading. If I open the CSS directly it's fine (http://s.ytimg.com/yt/cssbin/www-fea...-vfld9WFPa.css) but force-refreshing the page, it just won't apply. Anyone else bumped into this?

  10. #97

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    Thank Post
    698
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Also - everything is pretty much working for us, except the CSS doesn't seem to be loading. If I open the CSS directly it's fine (http://s.ytimg.com/yt/cssbin/www-fea...-vfld9WFPa.css) but force-refreshing the page, it just won't apply. Anyone else bumped into this?
    Yes, I'm seeing exactly that. Haven't had a chance to raise it yet as I was more interested in this for allowing videos embedded into other sites.

  11. #98

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    607
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 36 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    our LEA proxy isnt loading the CSS either

  12. #99

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,362
    Thank Post
    1,499
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Rep Power
    303
    Must admit my VM didn't load the CSS but as I've yet to actually sit at a PC and try it as a student I just assumed it was my VM being qwerky which is can be on sites like Youtube anyway at times. Is it a major loss though the CSS? Yes its not as glam but the video works which is the key thing IMHO.

  13. #100

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    Thank Post
    698
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Is it a major loss though the CSS? Yes its not as glam but the video works which is the key thing IMHO.
    The page has almost no formatting whatsoever without it. Interesting that 2097 has noted it happens with other proxies too; I had suspected it was a YouTube problem rather than a Smoothwall problem (unless the LEA is using Smoothwall too).

  14. #101

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,029
    Thank Post
    887
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    The page has almost no formatting whatsoever without it. Interesting that 2097 has noted it happens with other proxies too; I had suspected it was a YouTube problem rather than a Smoothwall problem (unless the LEA is using Smoothwall too).
    I don't see how it can be a Smoothwall problem given that you can load the CSS directly and it isn't blocked. My only suspicion is that the page is trying to apply some CSS via script, as I think I saw in the source, and that it's somehow fouling it up.

  15. #102

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Has anyone tried out Iain's ISAPI filter for TMG? I haven't found much in my searching for ways to get this implemented on TMG, and unfortunately I can't use the toolkit from Redline since I'm running on 2008 R2.
    I would have PM'd directly but you need two posts before that is allowed.

  16. #103
    Iain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    188
    Thank Post
    28
    Thanked 93 Times in 53 Posts
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by JSinclair View Post
    Has anyone tried out Iain's ISAPI filter for TMG? I haven't found much in my searching for ways to get this implemented on TMG, and unfortunately I can't use the toolkit from Redline since I'm running on 2008 R2.
    I would have PM'd directly but you need two posts before that is allowed.
    I've sent you a PM, I think you should be able to reply to it.

    Iain.

  17. #104

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    I've sent you a PM, I think you should be able to reply to it.

    Iain.
    Thanks Iain,
    I was not able to respond due to the post requirement, although since this counts as my 2nd it should be fine now

  18. #105

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Keighley, West Yorks
    Posts
    352
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 51 Times in 45 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by ben604 View Post
    We can unlock videos by adding them to playlists within our Admin account, but the only way students can view those videos, as far as we can tell, is by a direct link to that exact video.
    I'm struggling to get this far...

    I've got the header working correctly through Smoothwall, with the new G3 update released to us (NYCC) yesterday. I then added two videos to a test playlist but students still see the 'this video is blocked, ask your admin to add it to a playlist' error even when directly linking to it.

    Anyone else come across this?

    Peter

SHARE:

Similar Threads

  1. PC Pro - OpenSource is no good for schools?
    By Ric_ in forum General Chat
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 21st August 2012, 12:16 PM
  2. LNL Free Printers for Schools
    By OverWorked in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 20th September 2006, 07:16 PM
  3. Survey for schools at Computer active.
    By tosca925 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28th March 2006, 08:04 PM
  4. Which CMS for School Website?
    By Ric_ in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10th November 2005, 12:41 PM
  5. Microsoft tool for schools
    By russdev in forum Windows
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28th July 2005, 06:15 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •