+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, LGfL 2.0 Problems in Technical; As a school waiting to transition over to LGFL 2.0 this is very worrying to read. We do so much ...

Thank Post
    As a school waiting to transition over to LGFL 2.0 this is very worrying to read. We do so much work remotely in the same ad-hoc way you describe both onsite and offsite. Not being able to do this kind of work will have a profound effect on the way we resolve our problems and also how long users will have to wait for issues to be resolved. I am yet to have ever used remote software which asks a user for permission for me to connect. Why would I want a user to give me permission to use a computer on my network?! I totally understand the security reasoning for this, but for us this is really not going to work.
    In anticipation of the changes, I emailed a James Fletcher from CentraStage to try and glean some info on what we would be getting etc, but never got a response.

Worrying times ahead!

hit
    Thank Post
    We look after 5 sites (soon to be 7) and CentraStage looked to be perfect, they gave us what I now know to be the full product and will now be taking bits away unless we pay for them!

The problem we have is that all our sites are meant to be on LGfL2 by now but the very sad state of affairs that has delayed everything now means that we are trying to support everything over 2 providers. If we ever get LGfL2 on all sites RAV3 will work for us I guess but it's a PITA to get working properly, DNS never resolves properly for one, guess we will just have to have a massive list of IP addresses to work from!

3. Thanks to hit from:

talksr (25th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hit View Post
    So, the short of it is they block logmein and supply CentraStage as a replacement which won't allow me to connect ad-hoc, it has to be initiated by a user. How the hell is that meant to work on a server, do I ring a user at the site, ask them to RDP into the server and click the "HELP ME" button, just so I can do my job? Shafted once again by LGfL!
    No - In this case you should be using the web based RAv3 with an RSA token, or the Cisco Anyconnect VPN. Sensible precautions, if a bit of a pain in the backside. For normal school administration, I don't see this as a problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodrog View Post
    I'm not sure about the rate limit your talking about here - I've found two ways to get outbound to work - firstly just post straight out to the main LGfL smtp outbound servers - no limit's on them
    Do you mean the ECC relays? How do you know there is no limit? Can you point me to precisely where this is specified?

If it reaches the limit then the system just disables it for a hour and then starts you up again after the hour is finished which is done automatically and thatís displayed in the tab on the support site - if you over run the limit then it's worth looking at why your sending loads of emails and either fixing the problem or asking for an increase on them limit which I got or posting into your own email server. If you tell them a to and a from address you get a massive limit and if you tell them nothing then a small limit.
    Which relays are you talking about here? Where are the technical details on the limits and sanctions spelled out? Will they increase the limit? Becuase they won't on StaffMail?

hit
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by esucmn View Post
    No - In this case you should be using the web based RAv3 with an RSA token, or the Cisco Anyconnect VPN. Sensible precautions, if a bit of a pain in the backside. For normal school administration, I don't see this as a problem.
    Uh-huh, see my other comment...

We look after 5 sites (soon to be 7) and CentraStage looked to be perfect, they gave us what I now know to be the full product and will now be taking bits away unless we pay for them!

The problem we have is that all our sites are meant to be on LGfL2 by now but the very sad state of affairs that has delayed everything now means that we are trying to support everything over 2 providers. If we ever get LGfL2 on all sites RAV3 will work for us I guess but it's a PITA to get working properly, DNS never resolves properly for one, guess we will just have to have a massive list of IP addresses to work from!
    Leaves us in a nasty predicament at the moment with no completion dates (and no answer from anyone when) for 3 of my sites!

Thank Post

Unhappy

Uh-huh, see my other comment...
    My bad

Leaves us in a nasty predicament at the moment with no completion dates (and no answer from anyone when) for 3 of my sites!
    Yeah - just be glad you didn't delay your virtulisation, new servers and infrastructure project from last year, decide to put in a wireless system, and install an Exchange system this year. Cos that would just be insane when we have LGFL 2.0 to add even more problems :'(

If I make it through this summer without a serious mental breakdown, it's going to be a miracle!

8. Thanks to esucmn from:

hit (25th May 2012)

hit
    Thank Post
    Yeah - just be glad you didn't delay your virtulisation, new servers and infrastructure project from last year, decide to put in a wireless system, and install an Exchange system this year. Cos that would just be insane when we have LGFL 2.0 to add even more problems :'(
    Are you sat next to me? Sounds very similar to our timetable of events for one site!

Thank Post
    Are you sat next to me? Sounds very similar to our timetable of events for one site!
    Bad luck - I seriously feel your pain!

Thank Post
    Do you mean the ECC relays? How do you know there is no limit? Can you point me to precisely where this is specified?

Which relays are you talking about here? Where are the technical details on the limits and sanctions spelled out? Will they increase the limit? Becuase they won't on StaffMail?
    I'm talking about the ECC relays ie the outbound and inbound service for email servers - I asked the help desk guys if there was a limit there and they said no in the same way that there is no limit other than the local bandwidth on my connection.

I've not found any technical written description about there NOT being a limit .... but then I would not expect to find that. Sanctions – same situation

Thank Post
    I'm talking about the ECC relays ie the outbound and inbound service for email servers - I asked the help desk guys if there was a limit there and they said no in the same way that there is no limit other than the local bandwidth on my connection.

I've not found any technical written description about there NOT being a limit .... but then I would not expect to find that. Sanctions Ė same situation
    I asked the same question and they refused to answer

Thank Post

I think your confusing email relay for dealing with a photocopier …… found here in the manual on the support site

https://support.lgfl.org.uk/secure/g...gfl2_mips.html

right at the bottom is the description of how the ‘rate limiting’ happens

There is no limit on my outgoing email server nor an incoming limit.

The idea with the relay service here is to stop infected devices vomiting stuff into the outside world and so the rate limit works well for this.

Thank Post
    I have been frustrated by the sudden switch from Synetrix to Atomwide. I understand that LGfL have imposed lots of restrictions for us have reduced the level of service we can provided to staff, support companies and outsourced services e.g. catering, NHS etc.

I have also considered jumping ship but have decided to weather the storm a bit longer. We need LGfL to listen to our requirements rather than them dictating irrelevant and inflexible policies.
    If you have similar frustrations the please submit them to LGfL in the first place. The more we complain the more they have to respond. If we donít we then consider jumping ship!

Julian Griffiths-Searle
    ICT Systems Manager
    Battersea Park School

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Searle View Post
    I have been frustrated by the sudden switch from Synetrix to Atomwide. I understand that LGfL have imposed lots of restrictions for us have reduced the level of service we can provided to staff, support companies and outsourced services e.g. catering, NHS etc.

I have also considered jumping ship but have decided to weather the storm a bit longer. We need LGfL to listen to our requirements rather than them dictating irrelevant and inflexible policies.
    If you have similar frustrations the please submit them to LGfL in the first place. The more we complain the more they have to respond. If we don’t we then consider jumping ship!

Julian Griffiths-Searle
    ICT Systems Manager
    Battersea Park School
    The issue you face if you agree to a move to LGfL 2.0 is that you are then tied into a 5 year contract. Unfortunately if they're unwilling to change the policies etc at that point you'll have to stick it out until the end of the 5 years!

Thank Post
    I'm not alowed to give any details, but they are now listening, and I will be allowing an LGfL 2 connection to be installed after next Friday.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Searle View Post
    One particular piece of ridiculosity which has just emerged: it is impossible to view any sites which mention VNC, let alone download the tool. This is in spite of the fact that LGfL/Atomwide agree that it is a legitimate tool for us to use. I have just had this confirmed (that it's "legitimate" in their eyes and that they are "unable" to re-categorise such sites so that we can access them) in a support ticket.

This is, of course, the point: who are LGfL to decide what is and what is not a legitimate tool for us to use on our own networks?!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast