+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, LGfL 2.0 Problems in Technical; ... re the Fronter/USO thing.... a chap from Atomwide said that the way forward is probably to use USOs for ...

Thank Post
    ... re the Fronter/USO thing.... a chap from Atomwide said that the way forward is probably to use USOs for Fronter... My issue with this is that you need to login to LGFL - access the services and then click the Fronter link.... this 'totally' does not work on our network setup (and is far too long winded unless we link our AD to the USOs!!!!) hence the creation of the pseudo accounts.....

Thank Post
    Shaun_Dark_Lord, I too have been very concerned about this and have also emailed Brian, no response yet.
    I am based in Tower Hamlets and manage a 3 form entry primary there. All of our support comanies use LogmeIn and Teamviewer so these changes would have a huge effect on us.

Lets hope they can sort themselves out.
    I totally agree when you say: "Whatever services we have running on LGfL 1.0 should continue to work on LGfL 2.0, and at no point should our ISP be telling us what we should or should not be doing on our 30k internet connections."

Lets see what happens.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun_Dark_Lord View Post
    I've been given some very competitive pricing for 100Mb and 200Mb from BT. Also, Synetrix' price to 1Gb is comparable to what LGfL are offering.

I'm still waiting on pricing from Virgin, but jumping ship is looking to be a very cost effective option.
    Take a look at Global AXS for connectivity. They seem pretty good for me.

4. 2 Thanks to glennda:

Shaun_Dark_Lord (16th November 2011), talksr (16th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Are we still able to jump ship so to speak, I thought we would be tied into the contract?

Thank Post
    I've just spoken to someone "In the know". Several libraries and a school in our LEA have already jumped ship without penalty. As we have not had an installation, our contract has not started.

Thank Post
    Ok, well that is good to know.
    I did say in my mail to Brian that since reading the document (I think you have it attached on the original post), it raises a very serious question as to whether the LGFL 2.0 service is going to be a suitable for our school to use at this point. Hopefully he will take the hint, as well as listening to other schools complaints and do something about this.

Thank Post
    Logmein is a real problem for us, does anyone know whether it's all Logmein products including rescue or is it just the free version that will be blocked?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by inglesmum View Post
    ... re the Fronter/USO thing.... a chap from Atomwide said that the way forward is probably to use USOs for Fronter... My issue with this is that you need to login to LGFL - access the services and then click the Fronter link.... this 'totally' does not work on our network setup (and is far too long winded unless we link our AD to the USOs!!!!) hence the creation of the pseudo accounts.....
    You don't need to go anywhere near the LGfL site is you want to use USO accounts with Fronter, or at least we don't and never have since we've been using them. We goto http://fronter.com/croydon (in our case) and log straight in with our USO accounts...

Thank Post
    does anyone know whether it's all Logmein products including rescue or is it just the free version that will be blocked?
    Any type of remote access. See the quote from their "technical" document below:

If remote access to the school network is required, raise a support case for the RAV3 secure remote access service. ‘LOGMEIN’ and any other type of remote access product is not allowed on LGfL2

11. Thanks to esucmn from:

talksr (18th November 2011)

Thank Post
    As InspireICT said, LogMeIn will be a real problem for us too. We receive lots of remote support using this and TeamViewer.
    I am really quite annoyed that only after subscribing to LGFL 2.0, some considerable months later, we get the LGFL Transition sheet (attached on the original post) mentioning that LogMeIn will be banned.

I emailed Brian Durrant to tell him how unhappy I was and to ask what they have to say on the matter. He replied yesterday saying:

He was wondering if I had considered taking up the offer of a day of professional delvelopment for LGFL Nominated contacts, which covers a wide range of the services and systems which make up LGFL.
    He said it would give me a perfect opportunity to raise the concerns in my email.

hmmm.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by esucmn View Post
    Any type of remote access. See the quote from their "technical" document below:
    Yup - vague and yet still all encompassing........

I'll let you all know how the meeting goes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by talksr View Post
    As InspireICT said, LogMeIn will be a real problem for us too. We receive lots of remote support using this and TeamViewer.
    I am really quite annoyed that only after subscribing to LGFL 2.0, some considerable months later, we get the LGFL Transition sheet (attached on the original post) mentioning that LogMeIn will be banned.

I emailed Brian Durrant to tell him how unhappy I was and to ask what they have to say on the matter. He replied yesterday saying:

He was wondering if I had considered taking up the offer of a day of professional delvelopment for LGFL Nominated contacts, which covers a wide range of the services and systems which make up LGFL.
    He said it would give me a perfect opportunity to raise the concerns in my email.

hmmm.
    And will Hypnotoad be attending to provide sufficient levels of brainwashing?

We'd like to stay with LGfL, but for 10-20000 less we could get exactly what we want.......

Thank Post
    Right.........

If remote access to the school network is required, raise a support case for the RAV3 secure remote access service. ‘LOGMEIN’ and any other type of remote access product is not allowed on LGfL2
    This was a misprint/error/whatever you'd like to call it. LogMeIn is banned on LGfL 2.0. Other remote access solutions are not.

In response to our emails, LGfL have purchased an additional product to replicate the functionality of LogMeIn in a secure fashion. They called in Center Stage, but I believe it is this product; Fast, Secure Remote Support | CentraStage

That means RM/EIS/Capita/whoever else can be sent a link and code by us, and get a remote session - Similar to LogMeIn123, but in reverse.

I'm fairly happy with that solution.

Filtering will still have to go through LGfL, but can be turned down to the bare minimum.

There will be no Option 2 - Any schools wishing to do their own firewalling, will still have to use LGfL firewalling too, and will have to put in change requests for ports to be opened. Atomwide will not accept requests for all ports to be opened.

LGfL have agreed that their communication is not adequate. I have requested that in addition to various blogs and documentation that are currently produced, that the contents of such blogs/documentation is summarised in an email to all nominated contacts. For the sake of skimming through one extra email a month this should prevent any more surprises.

The three day changeover period from LGfL 1 to LGfL 2 is a minimum. Depending on when your Synetrix contract ends, you may get additional time to switch your services over. LGfL are working with Capita (who own Synetrix) on this issue, and hope to be able to offer a better solution. So when you get your installation date, it is worth contacting LGfL to find out exactly how long you have to change your DNS/IP/Proxy settings etc.

I think that's about it. I'm looking into Virgin Media's SLA, so we can compare it with BT's excellent offering. We'll then be in a position to decide what to do.

16. Thanks to Shaun_Dark_Lord from:

talksr (25th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by talksr View Post
    Are we still able to jump ship so to speak, I thought we would be tied into the contract?
    It depends, if the contract says you cannot pull out once it is signed or once the service has been installed.

It is all dependent on the terms of the contract. If needs be get somebody to check over the contract.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    It depends, if the contract says you cannot pull out once it is signed or once the service has been installed.

It is all dependent on the terms of the contract. If needs be get somebody to check over the contract.
    Brian did confirm that schools in Bexley have a Synetrix contract expiration of 31/04/12, so we theoretically have until then to bail out. Obviously if Virgin turn up next week to install LGfL 2, then it's too late.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast