+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, LGfL 2.0 Problems in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry7 View Post

Can you do that with an iOS device? I have used VNC on my iPad and iPhone and found it a bit rubbish compared to Logmein to be honest but then I am used to Logmein
    I've never tried that but all the bit's are there - in theory - I've always just done RDP as just about everything has that capability - obvious down side is you can't show people at the other end whats happeing which VNC would do - need to be careful with VNC to get the right versions to make it all work the 'Cisco' way (!"£$)

Thank Post
    Well, my first school has migrated over. Although it is not as bad as I thought it would be, it is still going to cause disruption plus the system is so over the top and complicated. I want to just go in to Webscreen 2.0 and add sites to an allow list but no chance. After reading most of the 21 separate support articles (does Brian think we have nothing better to do) I am still non the wiser as to how this system actually works. The trouble is that all the documents just talk about how to impose more restrictions (for obvious reasons I suppose) which is the opposite of what I want to do.

Thank Post
    Well, my first school has migrated over. Although it is not as bad as I thought it would be, it is still going to cause disruption plus the system is so over the top and complicated. I want to just go in to Webscreen 2.0 and add sites to an allow list but no chance. After reading most of the 21 separate support articles (does Brian think we have nothing better to do) I am still non the wiser as to how this system actually works. The trouble is that all the documents just talk about how to impose more restrictions (for obvious reasons I suppose) which is the opposite of what I want to do.
    There is a free training course...

... but the answer to your question is that there are 'whitelists' everywhere there are 'blacklists' however as we may end up doing you need to get away from the very broad policies that can filter down from your LA.

Thank Post
    Absolutely have to start by choosing your own filter policy - by default you get the uber-safe LGfL policy which is great if your a primary with no idea but not any good to anybody else.

Like Niclec says there are also training course that are well worth the effort. If you have a pile of schools to do sort one of them out and then ask the help desk guys nicely to copy that policy against all the other schools as they come on line.

Plus theres on-line help as well rather than emails from LGfL about what can be done ....

https://support.lgfl.org.uk/secure/g...ebscreen2.html

Thank Post
    Thanks for the pointers guys. As I mentioned earlier, I am rammed with actual work and so don't have time to go off on a jolly to Kent for the USO course (which is pointless for me but you have to do it to get on the web screen one) and then off to wherever for the web screen course. I simply don't have any time in my week. Secondly, I don't see why I should spend the money going to a course that neither I nor the school have any interest in because we don't actually want this filtering system. Finally, why has this system been made so complex that even IT pros need an entire days course to learn how it works? I didn't go on a course to learn how my iPhone works, or my iPad, or my MacBook, or any of my Google apps, or Windows 7, orActive Inspire. Have I made my point yet lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure that the netsweeper training is necessary - unless there is some super secret stuff out there, it is pretty straightforward and everything needed to get a competent SysAdmin started on it is delivered in the NomCon training day (MeerkatProTip: start at the top of the menu and work your way down. Simples! It really is just a new UI on the same Netsweeper backend). I really do think that you have to make the time to attend a NomCon day, your customers have chosen the service, and it is critical to the delivery of their primary function. The vendor is offering you (another comercial entity) FREE training on their product to allow you to better understand their product and support your mutual clients. There is also an opportunity for networking with the Atomwide team and other London technical (and perhaps more crucially, non-technical) staff which is what opens doors for the future.

Going by something you said earlier you are prepared to work well outside the 9-5 to get your business through this initial growth period. As such, perhaps you could negotiate Saturday access with one of the schools in lieu of the day taken for NomCon training? I really cannot express any more strongly how worthwhile you can make this be (even if you know 90%+ of it already).

For the record we have a TMG behing the LGFL system. We make use of both filtering services. If I were building a green-field site I would be strongly tempted to just use Webscreen on its own.
    Last edited by psydii; 3rd July 2012 at 09:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the input. My customers didn't choose this filtering service, it was thrust upon us by LGFL. As for it having a different UI, that might be true but I have never used Netsweeper, so it is brand new to me.

I do understand what you are saying about the training, it's just annoying when I don't go to sessions that I am interested in (and actually benefit a school) but am now faced with being forced into one that I have no interest in attending at all. I understand also about networking but I can do that myself, I don't need an LGFL training session to do that. Equally, I predict that this session is going to be 90% commercial rubbish and 10% golden nugget information will just anger me further.

We are attempting to back 1 school out of LGFL 2.0, if that works, I am simply going to get my other schools to do the same as I, nor my customers, want to be in a situation where we are told by Atomwide or LGFL what we are and are not allowed to do.

Thank Post
    On a slight side note but related to LGFL 2.0, I have just been sent an email and apparently the LGFL USO-FX system has ground to a halt as the 2GB online allocation is nearly full. They are blaming staff for not deleting documents quickly enough. 2GB between 70 schools. Well done LGFL.

Thank Post
    My customers didn't choose this filtering service, it was thrust upon us by LGFL.
    If you wanted, you can switch OFF *nearly* all the filtering.... there is a small amount you can't switch off, such as Remote Support Tools sites and those they are required to (by law, presumably?) such as those about paedophilia etc.

Equally, I predict that this session is going to be 90% commercial rubbish and 10% golden nugget information will just anger me further.
    I found it to be about a 90% useful and 10% rubbish (e.g Sales talk about their other products)

Thank Post
    On a slight side note but related to LGFL 2.0, I have just been sent an email and apparently the LGFL USO-FX system has ground to a halt as the 2GB online allocation is nearly full. They are blaming staff for not deleting documents quickly enough. 2GB between 70 schools. Well done LGFL.
    Isn't USO-FX meant to be a file 'transfer' system rather than a 'storage' system ??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodrog View Post
    Isn't USO-FX meant to be a file 'transfer' system rather than a 'storage' system ??
    Yes it is but the system stores the documents for a certain amount of time. It hasn't been designed properly, so you have to decide when you upload the document how it is deleted later down the line. It would have been far better to just make it so that initially it auto deleted the document once it had been received by all parties in my opinion. Even if it is just a transfer system though, 2GB is pathetic these days.

Thank Post
    You're better placed to comment than me as you have clearly been on the course. I am just going on 3 things, the Fronter course, pointless, other teachers experiences of previous LGFL/LA related courses, pointless and finally some presentation of theirs I found which had a whole load of Disney quotes on it or something, again pointless.

If you are referring to 'opting out of the LA filtering' then we have done that but it still blocks YouTube, Facebook and Twitter to name a few. I don't think there is any legal requirement to block remote tools such as Logmein, after all a school could have their own connection and use these tools. Not to mention the fact that ICT support companies have been using these tools for years in schools without a problem.

The rational from LGFL was that tools such as Logmein are unaccountable because they do not require an individual login, such as USO. So say I employed somebody, they got arrested, I didn't change my Logmein password, they could still get into the school. I totally agree with them, that is a possibility. Personally, if I had been LGFL, I would have put the responsibility back to the company using Logmein (or similar), just as it is that companies responsibility to make sure that arrested employee didn't still have a key fob for the school (a MUCH bigger risk).

Following on from this, you could say that said employee works in ICT, so they know their way around a computer. Who's to say that they haven't installed a key logger on their bosses computer and got his LGFL USO information? In which case he can go about totally unnoticed and worse, nobody may realise he is logging in as his boss whilst he is arrested or whatever. What about OTP from LGFL I hear you say? Well what if he has stolen the bosses fob? Sure the boss would report it stolen but if he is that responsible and on the ball, wouldn't he have changed the Logmein password if he were using that system?

You can go on and on with security and as somebody mentioned way back in this thread it needs to be a balance. I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I have already and I feel I have made my points, so I'll leave it here.

Thank Post
    Yes it is but the system stores the documents for a certain amount of time. It hasn't been designed properly, so you have to decide when you upload the document how it is deleted later down the line. It would have been far better to just make it so that initially it auto deleted the document once it had been received by all parties in my opinion. Even if it is just a transfer system though, 2GB is pathetic these days.
    and you can set that - it's done at LA Level NOT LGfL level - have you asked the LA concerned to make that change ??

Thank Post
    This was just an email I was copied in on and somebody from LGFL was reporting that the 2GB limit had nearly been reached. I am not going to ask them to make a change, I encourage my schools to avoid the FX system as it is clunky and restrictive. Plus it could fall over as it is currently doing. Why is the LA setting size limits on their FX system when it is provided by LGFL/Atomwide? Haven't LGFL given out a certain amount of space to each LA? I can't imagine an LA voluntarily taking less space for their FX system? Or are you talking about the document handling side been set by the LA?

Thank Post
    If you are referring to 'opting out of the LA filtering' then we have done that but it still blocks YouTube, Facebook and Twitter to name a few.
    You really need to create, and use, your own filter set(s). When you do this, none of YouTube, Facebook nor Twitter need to be blocked.

I am afraid that you are doing yourself no favours by refusing to go on the filtering course.
    Last edited by Eric; 4th July 2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: style!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread