+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Internet monitoring software (Laptops and desktops) in Technical; Hi, hope you guys can help! We're looking at network wide software that will monitor and log all internet traffic. ...

Thank Post

Internet monitoring software (Laptops and desktops)

Hi, hope you guys can help!

We're looking at network wide software that will monitor and log all internet traffic.
    We need to be able to see all sites visited, when and by whihc user for all machines on our network.

Ideally, if there is such a peice of software it would log all use on laptops away from school and update centrally when they next login.

We need SLT to access this information from their desktop PCs

Alerts for keywords, websites etc would be good too.

We currently have Ranger installed but really it is solely used for internet monitoring.
    Seeing as it keeps crashing (Lan Ranger so stopping all logins!) and the website monitoring doesn't workon Win7 we really need to find something else asap

oh.. and has to be cheap too

Thanks peeps

Thank Post
    Are you looking for monitoring only or are you looking to be able to filter web traffic as well as log it. A lot of web filtering solutions offer granular reporting and logging facilities whilst also blocking a lot of the bad stuff. The other feature of a web filter is it will stop the use of anonymous proxies, which are used to hide, therefore maintaining complete visibility.

If web filtering is what you are after I know Smoothwall and Bloxx are both focused on education and therefore competitively priced. I also think Sophos and Websense offer very affordable solutions to education. There are also free solutions out there depending on how much time you have on your hands such as Dansguardian.

If you are looking for logging only I am sure there is a solution out there but for the life of me can't remember what it is called.

Thank Post
    Securus will do this..

Thank Post
    That was it Securus, thought it was Securas but searched that on google and it was not what I was looking for!

Abaddon does securus work for clients outside the network or only on network?

Thank Post
    Any client you install the software on. It'll log and wait for a connection to the server to upload the files. You can change the cache size if you think it'll be away for a longer period.

Thank Post
    Cheers guys, just phoned Securus and pleased to say it does just that.

Suggested we have the NG1, I think due to our size - hope that wouldn't be lacking in features.

Anyhows, must look for comparisons if anyone has anything else please let me know.

Thanks

Thank Post

PCE vs Securus

Securus is ok,

Policy Central Enterprise is so much better

forensicsoftware co uk

I have been running it for years now, many updates latter the software is second to none

Thank Post
    Been using Securus for a number of years. It will generate a ton of events throughout the day, one way ive found to deal with this is to concentrate on the "keyboard captures" if its in there they typed it.
    Also I find it very useful at the start of a new year to turn up in a Year 7 classroom with an event log for something one of them has typed, do that a few times and word gets round they are being watched.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Both Securus and PCE are good options to look at, but remember that this is only effective if also included in the school behaviour policies, if it has sufficient resources for checking the results, etc. Both firms can provide additional advice and support on that side of things, and it needs to be led by SLT.

Aslo be aware that this can just push the issues into different places ... bully goes to SMS, children use mobile devices to surf the web, etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Both Securus and PCE are good options to look at, but remember that this is only effective if also included in the school behaviour policies, if it has sufficient resources for checking the results, etc. Both firms can provide additional advice and support on that side of things, and it needs to be led by SLT.

Aslo be aware that this can just push the issues into different places ... bully goes to SMS, children use mobile devices to surf the web, etc.
    Also found out what training on offer and how much it costs as when implementing these kind of systems if people don't get the training they don't use them.

Russell

Thank Post
    forensic training has been really useful both in Techie and Teacher/HOD/SLT - the only issue I have found with any of these system is passing it on to Teacher/HOY as they don't want to know, But if you have CPO (Child Protection Officer) tend to imbrace it with open arms

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Smoothwall Mobile Guardian would do the logging, policies, restrictions etc when away from the school and then when its back on-site it uploads them all I do believe and it will do all your normal traffic on-site, logs, monitoring etc...

I am sure that if you pinged one of them, perhaps @tom_newton or @seanlaz they could assist you

13. Thanks to john from:

seanlaz (17th November 2011)

Thank Post
    impero, 100% impero

15. Thanks to bwestlake from:

russdev (4th March 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread