+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Best File Sharing Website - Is it Skydrive? in Technical; Hi, We want to create a file sharing secure site for sharing documents across our Education trust, multiple sites / ...

Thank Post

Best File Sharing Website - Is it Skydrive?

Hi,

We want to create a file sharing secure site for sharing documents across our Education trust, multiple sites / schools.

I have setup Skydrive and yet to launch but it does mean everyone has to have a common email address to get onto SkyDrive.

is there an alternative free version that is a little more open with a secure access path? Dropbox has been suggested but has a cost attached.

Thanks
    Ellis

Thank Post
    If you're sharing across schools in the same trust, do you not have a common network backbone that you could make use of and have an internal box / shared drive that people could access. That would seem the most sensible way.

You could then use something like (and I've literally just Googled "Open Source Folder Sync" to get this) SynKron to make sure that there's a local version of a folder kept up to date on the schools local server. (Synkron – Folder synchronisation)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    If you're sharing across schools in the same trust, do you not have a common network backbone that you could make use of and have an internal box / shared drive that people could access. That would seem the most sensible way.
    It is extremely early days for the Trust and we havent got that far down the road (Two months in!)

So need something as a stopgap until we get to the point of network backbones.

Thank Post
    In that case, I can't recommend DropBox enough. Ok, if you go above the 2GB initial storage then you need to pay for whatever space requirements, but I use it for sharing files between my various techy boxes (linux, mac and Windows) and it means I have access to specific files I need at each machine ..

Thank Post
    Whatever cloud based solution you choose, if the company providing the service is a company based in the US then you need to check they are on the US EU Safe Harbour list. If the company is outside the EU and US, then avoid as you are then likely to be in breach of EU data protection laws. Dropbox are not listed on the safe harbour list AFAIK, Microsoft and Google are, so Skydrive and Google Docs are an option.

6. Thanks to teejay from:

Roberto (12th October 2011)

Thank Post
    I use SugarSync File Manager, you get 5GB free to start and if you recommend it etc. you get more free space (everyone I worked with recommended it to each other and most of us have about 10GB).

Its free and I have been using it for 6 months without issue.

You get a folder you can put on any desktop that links straight into it but also with web access.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ellisteph10 View Post
    Hi,

We want to create a file sharing secure site for sharing documents across our Education trust, multiple sites / schools.

I have setup Skydrive and yet to launch but it does mean everyone has to have a common email address to get onto SkyDrive.

is there an alternative free version that is a little more open with a secure access path? Dropbox has been suggested but has a cost attached.

Thanks
    Ellis
    A google apps domain will allow you to share documents with people outside of the domain.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information