+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Openreach to deliver downstream speeds of up to 300Mbps from Spring 2012. in Technical; Openreach today announced three significant developments that will provide a major boost to Broadband Britain. As well as launching its ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 727 Posts

Openreach to deliver downstream speeds of up to 300Mbps from Spring 2012.

Openreach today announced three significant developments that will provide a major boost to Broadband Britain. As well as launching its up to 110Mbps Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) service, Openreach revealed it will use this technology to deliver downstream speeds of up to 300Mbps from next Spring. These speeds are three times faster than those offered by other major networks and they will be available on a wholesale basis supporting a competitive retail market.
    The service, which becomes available in the following six locations from late October before wider deployment.

• Ashford in Middlesex
    • Bradwell Abbey in Milton Keynes
    • Highams Park in North London
    • Chester South
    • St Austell
    • York

BT Press Releases

Thank Post
    lmao I'll believe that when I see it. Yeah it might happen for the CEO and his neighbours houses but I don't believe for one minute that the rest of us will be getting FTTP, I'd love it and would probably sign straight up, but not for the foreseeable future imo

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    An equally important part of the announcement:

The business also revealed a third boost for broadband speeds by saying it now has approval from the relevant authorities to roughly double the speeds delivered by Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) broadband. This development will see FTTC downstream speeds roughly double from up to 40Mbps to up to 80Mbps.
    Promising news for those of us who've signed up to FTTC as a cheap alternative to a leased line (as we have). Hopefully there will be an increase in upstream as well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    An equally important part of the announcement:

Promising news for those of us who've signed up to FTTC as a cheap alternative to a leased line (as we have). Hopefully there will be an increase in upstream as well.
    Indeed, for non-virgin areas its a godsend. Fortunately I live in a cabled area so 100mb right now for me if I wanted it, 200 next year, and probably 400 the next... BT I think it's time you put some real money into infrastructure, namely the cab to premises weak link - saying that they are only just doing FTTC.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a 50Mbps Virgin connection at the moment, and after having had it for about 3 weeks, I can safely say it is pretty useless at the moment!

4 people in my house use it at the same time but the problem isn't the connection - it is the servers we connect to. Most don't seem to be able to handle high speed clients. Youtube doesn't even handle streaming 720p video to me very well, sometimes buffering just as slowly as it did on my old 6Mbps connection. Others in the house have the same view of it.

When those serving the sites upgrade to faster connections, then it'll come into its own. Look at the average dedicated server package. Most come with a 10Mbit connection, 100Mbit if you're lucky (or want to spend a fortune).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Absolutely right. Consumers won't be able to really take advantage of higher bandwidth until the server they connect to are capable of delivering. For a high number of shared users, more bandwidth is always better, but for a single user I do feel like there are severely diminishing returns on bandwidth upgrades once you get above about 15Mb.

The only two hosts I've used that are capable of delivering at line speed on 40Mbps are Akamai and the BBC (podcasts, not iPlayer).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I have a 50Mbps Virgin connection at the moment, and after having had it for about 3 weeks, I can safely say it is pretty useless at the moment!

4 people in my house use it at the same time but the problem isn't the connection - it is the servers we connect to. Most don't seem to be able to handle high speed clients. Youtube doesn't even handle streaming 720p video to me very well, sometimes buffering just as slowly as it did on my old 6Mbps connection. Others in the house have the same view of it.

When those serving the sites upgrade to faster connections, then it'll come into its own. Look at the average dedicated server package. Most come with a 10Mbit connection, 100Mbit if you're lucky (or want to spend a fortune).
    This is Virgins traffic 'management'. My Virgin connection exhibits all the same problems. Yet if I run everything through my VPN provider suddenly I'm getting 1Mbit/sec.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    This is Virgins traffic 'management'. My Virgin connection exhibits all the same problems. Yet if I run everything through my VPN provider suddenly I'm getting 1Mbit/sec.
    50MBps traffic management is limited. According to their document:

Customers with Broadband size: XXL (50Mb) – your downstream usage excluding file sharing traffic (see below) remains unaffected and we'll soon be increasing your upload speeds from 1.5Mb to 5Mb. However during peak times we'll need to slow you back to 1.75Mb if your upload usage is particularly high.
    So, only p2p traffic is shaped on XXL packages, not HTTP or media.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My VPN connection proves different!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread