+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, How much for a leased line roughly? in Technical; Originally Posted by glennda Our current LEA wan sits atop of the BT cabling and soon to be managed by ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Our current LEA wan sits atop of the BT cabling and soon to be managed by capita hence the looking away (as they still want to keep us on a 10b connection - 900 clients > 10mb doesn't work!)
    You may find that you will need to get a quote for a new fibre to be installed - If your current fibre is owned by the LA, then you probably do not have authority to cancel the contract - especially if you are a WAN hub for other schools in the area. Worth bearing in mind.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    You may find that you will need to get a quote for a new fibre to be installed - If your current fibre is owned by the LA, then you probably do not have authority to cancel the contract - especially if you are a WAN hub for other schools in the area. Worth bearing in mind.
    will investigate who owns the fiber. Even if we don't own that one i've got spare cores going into the comms room at the front of the school! which should be ours!

Thank Post
    We pay ~850/mo for microwave 100/100. Provider only covers a few cities though, nowt south of brum yet, installed within 14 days

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    We pay ~850/mo for microwave 100/100. Provider only covers a few cities though, nowt south of brum yet, installed within 14 days
    I wish it could get that! Oh and i will be looking to smoothie for filtering if we can get the leased line

Thank Post
    looking at possibly a 100mb connection managed? I'm a bit rural although about 800m from nearest exchange.

What do people think? sadly only available vendors are bt or talk talk or easynet (sky)
    ive have some contacts they will use BT or Talk to Talk for the last mile but cheaper and excellant service. message me if you need more info

Thank Post
    I've spoken with BT apparently the local exchange isn't a Point of service with the data constrants so it has to come from 11k away and so the cost is enormous!

15k for a 10mb just under 20k for a 30mb and then 24k on a 100mb all on a 100mb barer!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jesus! Thats a bit much! Perhaps look at virgin, they do good bonded lines for decent pricing

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts
    200M on 1,000M fibre - Install: £5,750 Annual: £24,361 from Global AXS

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Jesus! Thats a bit much! Perhaps look at virgin, they do good bonded lines for decent pricing
    i've asked them before they told us they couldn't do much for us due to the location here and they don't do anything out this way (to rural)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    200M on 1,000M fibre - Install: £5,750 Annual: £24,361 from Global AXS

Ben
    I'll look into them - emailed luns to see what they say. It was with free Install from bt

Thank Post
    We re with Global AXS and now I forget about how awful our internet was! good lads as well

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll look into them - emailed luns to see what they say. It was with free Install from bt
    Is this based on the fibre already being present which they can use? Double check that as the 'install' cost can just mean the setup costs in the school and exchange and not the install of the fibre ... and I have seen some nasty costs for that in our area! Excess Construction Costs (ECCs) are a hidden cost that can make all the difference ... but they don't always apply.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Is this based on the fibre already being present which they can use? Double check that as the 'install' cost can just mean the setup costs in the school and exchange and not the install of the fibre ... and I have seen some nasty costs for that in our area! Excess Construction Costs (ECCs) are a hidden cost that can make all the difference ... but they don't always apply.
    I had it done, that setup cost is final, BT fibre, routes, backup adsl all included

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    I've spoken with BT apparently the local exchange isn't a Point of service with the data constrants so it has to come from 11k away and so the cost is enormous!

15k for a 10mb just under 20k for a 30mb and then 24k on a 100mb all on a 100mb barer!
    Was going to say just because you can spit on your exchange doesn't help with Leased Lines, we can get a perfect 8mb down and 700K up on our ADSL line but the nearest PoP for the Leased Lines from BT is about 40 miles away thus I am getting prices as bad and worse than yours Virgin Media's nearest PoP for us was Manchester!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    hes said the fiber is there - and its free install aslong as there is and ECC which they don't think there should be. It would just be a case of terminating the fiber and connecting to a media converter/router and setting up in the exchange

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast