+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Internet activity monitoring in Technical; Hi All Just put in a single broadband connection for staff purposes (our LEA provided connection filters good educational stuff, ...

Thank Post

Internet activity monitoring

Hi All
    Just put in a single broadband connection for staff purposes (our LEA provided connection filters good educational stuff, youtube etc). It will be connected to a single isolated PC but in order to reassure management that it will not be abused I want to generate monthly activity reports showing all activity on that connection. I had asked the ISP (one of the biggies) about producing reports at their level so that if anyone connected wirelessly or connected their own laptop I would still get a report of sites visited, however I was told that it was not possible for them to give me a report of sites visited on that connection! Correct me if I'm wrong but I always believed that ISPs could do this. As it is only a single machine a proxy server does not seem practical. As getting the information from the ISP seems to be a non-starter does anyone know of another solution that would record the sites visited on the connection rather than the machine it is connected to? Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    ISP can for themselves wether they make any such facility available to the end user is a different matter.

You need to have a firewall device between your standalone computer and the adsl router running s/w that will allow you to see all sites visited.

Also disabling the wireless on the router will mean people can't connect wirelessly to your unfiltered internet connection.

Ben

Thank Post
    You could lock the PC down fairly hard, and use one of the many "netnanny" type client-side filters. Most of these log. Or get a router which supports some rudimentary web logging.

Also turn off wireless, and if you are feeling like a real b--tard hot-glue the cable into the PC and the modem/router (this could leave you down a NIC (or a motherboard if it's onboard) and a DSL router.. )

Thank Post
    if you like linux then squid and SARG would be a good idea. You can use an old crappy PC with 2 nics to do this easily.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread